X

heated grips or gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heated grips or gloves

I am trying to decide on heated gloves or grips. I am hoping you guys can share you experiences. My hands get cold easily so I need something.
    Thanks
    Randy

If your hands get really cold you will benefit from gloves. Grips will keep your palms warm but your finger tips and backs of the hands get cold to freezing, depending on the air temp and your speed.

The other thing to understand is that your torso needs to be warm too as if its cold the blood comes away from your extremities to keep the chest warm. A few guys hereabouts run with heated vests or jackets as well as gloves and even socks or boots.

I currently just run heated grips and Scorpion winter gloves....and my digits do get cold even in 40 F weather. I was going to get a vest and heated gloves but up here we don't get enough good winter weather to justify it i.e. we have ice and snow for at least 4 months straight.

Go with gloves at least.

Ride safe,
    Spyug

Comment

It all depends on what type of riding you are doing. I ride 365, and in the winter here in Vegas it does dip into the teens on some morning rides into work.

I don't own a set of heated gloves, but I sure would like to. They are quite pricey however, and I am fairly certain they wouldn't be as effective as my current setup (though a welcome addition).

I purchased a set of Oxford Sports handlebar muffs, and a set of grip heaters (the $30 kind). The muffs and heaters cost me FAR less than what heated gloves and associated electronics would cost. My thinking is that the gloves won't last forever but the muffs probably will. A new set of grip heaters is only $30 so if they die it's no big deal. Anyway, everything I read about the heated gloves told me that they weren't an end-all be-all solution. Many people complain that their pinky finger goes numb from cold, or some other such random complaint.

The muffs solve the problem because they keep the wind off your hands. Without wind, the heated grips are more than enough. As bad as I want a nice set of heated gloves, I can't justify the expense knowing that I don't really need them.

If you can't stand the thought of muffs, I would have to go with the heated gloves. Maybe even grip heaters AND heated gloves. Without muffs, the grip heaters wont be enough if you ride in the real cold.

check out my muffs here: http://www.katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89795
      Last edited by Wheel; 11-19-2009, 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot my muff link.

Comment

First my recommendation, then my experience. Start with grip heaters, I like the Symtec versions myself. You can install them under your existing grips, new grips, or between your current grips and a set of grip puppies. (No affiliation, just the first link on Google.) You will figure out quickly if they will work for you, or if you need something more. If you go to heated gloves, you are also going to need to figure in the price of a heat controller to be comfortable. All the heated gloves except the Exo2 are going to get too hot to be comfortable without a controller.

I have Symtech grip heaters on the Kat, and the Buell has Magura heated grips. For me the heated grips take enough of the edge off that I can survive the 40 minutes to work down to the low teens, but everyones tolerances are different. The real beauty of grips is that once you install them, you will never have to worry about bringing them with you or trying to plug them in, and they are much cheaper than the gloves to boot.

I am still figuring out how effective the heated vest is at getting bloodflow and heat to my extremities this year. Without the heated vest, for anything longer than an hour or under 20F, I wanted heated gloves. Both work well together, as all the gloves I have looked at only heat the outside, while the grips heat the inside.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I snowmibile and have heated grips which are great for the palms of your hands but not for the top of your hands. Perhaps get good gloves first and if you are still cold then get heated grips.

Comment

In my experience, the heated grips are more convenient, no wiring to mess around on your body, they are good for shorter rides.

The heated gloves are good for longer rides, they warm up your hands at the back of your hands and fingers, where most bloodflow run. They do take some practice to put on your hands with the extra wiring.

I use Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves, the combination keeps me riding year round whenever pavement is dry in the winter.

Comment

Thanks
              based on the majority the symtec heated grips win. I can add a heated vest later, after a bakalava.
              Thanks for helping a newbie who is in love with riding and doesnt want some winter to get into the way.
              Randy

Comment

Not sure I see where the majority says grips > gloves... but I could be missing something!

Comment

let me know what way u go

Comment

I used a set of heated grips last winter here in Vegas, I purchased them from a local Cycle Gear. They did a decent job warming my hands but my Throttlemeister would not work with them installed. I plan to purchase a heated glove setup soon.
                    sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

I like my heated gloves, even though they are a little bulky. and they came with a heat controller. Also they hook directly into my heated vest, if I want to wear that too. The ones I have are by Tourmaster. They will keep you warm at 75mph in 0 degree weather.
                      -
                      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

an Update
                        I recieved heat demons heated grips last friday. I am gonna put them in tommorow. I am still waiting on a relay though. Its been cold in northen CA. Ice stayed in the yard all day. then maybe muffs and heated vest. I did get a headcover for under the helmet really nice doesnt let air get the neck. I take some picks if I can. Next is new tires.
                        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randyt26 View Post
                          an Update
                          I recieved heat demons heated grips last friday. I am gonna put them in tommorow. I am still waiting on a relay though. Its been cold in northen CA. Ice stayed in the yard all day. then maybe muffs and heated vest. I did get a headcover for under the helmet really nice doesnt let air get the neck. I take some picks if I can. Next is new tires.
                          Randy
                          yeah, nice hot muffs are the only way to go
                          -
                          -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                            yeah, nice hot muffs are the only way to go
                            LOL your a sick Man.

Comment

OK I took some pics. first is the controller that mounts on the brake reservoir. Tap the lever for low, med, high and burn your finger heat then off. The next pic is of the wireing. I will prob plug into the charge jack when riding, since I dont have the relay yet. OK where are the pics???
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by randyt26; 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X