X

Waterproof Saddlebags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys.

I really appreciate all the advice and looks like I have some decisions to make.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
      ...green rubberized nylon bags...
      No doubt about it, those waterproof bags are nice. Not the lightest things around, the easiest to use or the most stylish but military gear just plain works. If you go that route, hold the bags open with your hands and look inside for any light leaks. If light gets through a spot, so will water. You can patch a small leak/tear with a stick-on nylon patch on the outside and rubber cement on the inside but you don't want to mess with anything big.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        If light gets through a spot, so will water. You can patch a small leak/tear with a stick-on nylon patch on the outside and rubber cement on the inside but you don't want to mess with anything big.
        We used bicycle inner-tube patch kits to patch ours when I was in the service. Self-adhesive type, take off the backing and slap it on the tear from the inside of the bag. Done.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Oh, one other note:
            Army-Navy stores (military surplus) sell waterproof bags used by the military for storage of sleeping bags, clothes, etc. when you go into the field. These green rubberized nylon bags have integrated tie-offs at the top, and are a simple solution to keeping stuff dry as well.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Dry bags. As a matter of fact, I spotted this deal over at ADVrider today: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=509733

If you want them locally, you should be able to find them at any outdoor place that sells kayaks and canoes, but you will be looking at more money.

All the rain covers I have seen are pretty much worthless for panniers. I had a set that got most of the way blown off in less than 10 miles. And to make matters worse, what wasn't being blown off, was holding water in. I had a good 2-3 cups of water in the bottom of each one. After that, Ziplock bags, then hard bags. Once you go hard bags, you will never go back. As a matter of fact, I have a set of FirstGear panniers that will be in the classified section in short order, complete with rain covers that might work well if the bike is parked under cover...
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
              Dry bags. As a matter of fact, I spotted this deal over at ADVrider today: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=509733...
              Those are really nice bags but the ones I was talking about and I think CP was, too are these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Surplus...QQcmdZViewItem

Prices on these are all over the place, from a couple bucks to more than $25 from U.S. Cavalry. A quick Google search for "military surplus waterproof bag" or a trip to your local surplus store should have you hooked up pretty quick.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Check out this site. http://www.easycarbon.com/product_in...?products_id=1 I have a pair of these on my 2006 Kat 750. I had to fabricate the rack system to hold them, but it was well worth it. The boxes are exactly the same as some sold for up to $200 each, under different names (In fact, I purchased one of my boxes for $119 about a year ago to use as a top box on a different bike, and the new Bestem box I just bought is exactly the same). I've seen Givi boxes that look exactly like these. I have less than $200 in the whole setup. I rode home from work in a deluge today, and the stuff inside the boxes stayed dry as a bone. I'd still recommend putting any water sensitive items in large Ziplock bags.
                Attached Files

Comment

The Oxford Sport lugage fit my 01 Kat nice but not 100% waterproof. Follow the instructions above and you'll be fine.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    All the rain covers I have seen are pretty much worthless for panniers. I had a set that got most of the way blown off in less than 10 miles.
                    Then you've never had a set of Nelson Rigg CL-950s. And whoever said that their raincovers didn't fit after their bags were expanded, both the CL-350 and CL-200 that I have have zippers in the rain covers JUST for this reason.

Comment

I live in nor cal

I just picked up some tourmaster sport soft saddlebags that so far are working out really well. They came with rain covers but I have not had to use them at all yet.

Also I agree w/ the other people that rain should not be a big issue down here in nor cal in the summer. I can remember 1 night of very light drizzle down here in the last two years during the summer. Our rain comes in the late fall, winter and some of spring. At least in the greater San Francisco area that is what our normal pattern is like.

Comment

Working...
                      X