No announcement yet.
X

Do more expensive helmets protect more?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also check out WebBikeWorld.com, they have a bunch of in depth helmet reviews:

Riders don't realize just how many motorcycle helmets exist. We have reviewed more than 500 helmets since 2000. Hands-on, unbiased!
    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Cost is mostly in the quality. The visor and how the visor seals are two big cost drivers. The #1 cost indicator is the weight. Weight always costs more money.

Other things like the vents and chin strap snap are other quality cost drivers. Some vents will literally fall off a cheap helmet, and the snap will pull out of the strap. Not so great stuff. You can generally get a good feel for the quality of a lid if you read the reviews from online retailers.

The other thing a higher price gives you is less chance of a defect, or better quality control. They are able to charge a higher price, because they have the good quality rep. Who buys a $500 lid from a company with a ****ty reputation? No one that's who.

Comment

I wear a $139 Fulmer modular helmet that someone here claims is bound to be a snow mobile helmet. It's full faced though and I hit the pavement at 65 mph (right on the chin...the first contact made with earth after a high side) and it protected me. I had always assumed that the expensive helmets were marked up due to appearance. I'm learning.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I've had some really crappy helmets over the years...since I bought my Shoei I'll never buy anything else. (wind noise is less, comfortable, doesn't stretch after wearing it for a few years, fits like a glove) My HJC CL12 lasted 2 seasons....piece of crap.
          Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

My HJC was not very comfortable and loud as hell, but when it came down to it my skull is still in one piece. My current lid is an Icon, and I love it. The end of the season is always a good time to buy, apparently there are people that can afford to care that it is last years model. I went for the Rubitone Alliance SSR it's always in style.

Comment

I went with the Bell Apex Double Cross and I love it. My head never gets hot...I may sweat but I don't feel it even after 2 or more hours of riding. Wind noise is not even an issue and the weight of the helmet is amazing. The vents also look very stylish with silver mesh behind the openings. It was a bit expensive (about $200) but when it comes to head protection I wanted something that offered protection, style, and comfort.

My other gear:
              http://www.tourmaster.com/images/pro...h_kp2_blue.jpg This jacket is awesome. I live in Louisiana and the heat is killer but the vents keep you cool. Plus it looks badazz.
              http://www.tourmaster.com/images/products/h_n2_blue.jpg My gloves for summer time riding. Great grip even in the rain.
              http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=36340 Solid riding boot...and Zip up side made this an easy choice. Plus I couldnt beat the price.
              Last edited by Jfrantz1802; 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM.
              "There are two types of riders...old riders and crazy riders, but there are no old crazy riders." - Danny

Comment

"Blowing the Lid Off"...funny no one brought that article up...read it neat information:
                Motorcyclist, America’s First motorcycle magazine, publishes new and used motorcycle reviews, bike news, and riding tips for riders that love to ride motorcycles!

and just to be fair, thats what I'm all about, here is Snell's response to the article above:
                Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                X