No announcement yet.
X

Do more expensive helmets protect more?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do more expensive helmets protect more?

I've never spend more than 200 dollars on a helmet. Unfortunately, I can say i've tested the crashability of four helmets.Two HJC's that were about a hundred each. And two Nolan's that were about 140.

My question is for those of you that have gone down and also just to get a general idea of those of you that haven't.

I'm willing to bet that most people think the more you pay the more protection you get. From my personal experience, the helmets I wore in my wrecks held up just fine. Of course, I got rid of them after the crashes, but nevertheless they did their job.

Keeping the wind noise down is key for me.

Comment

From what i've seen and experienced the more expensive helmets aren't any more protective. You're paying for light weight and a paint job.
      2005 Aprilia RST1000
      2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
      1998 Chevy Tahoe
      www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

This is an old argument...$50 helmet for a $10 head...well there is some argument to that but I've seen some people with $700 helmets..still $10 heads..but lets look at what you are looking at. Minimum rating for helmets used on the road must have DOT sticker anything else in this country is Novelty helmet and shouldn't be used as protective gear. So now we look a the other rating Snell...yes Snell says it was tested and will keep you safe..well at least to their standards...now here is the best thing about this...If I go and find a $50 helmet that passed both DOT (legally needed) and Snell...and you have a helmet $700 that has passed the same ratings?? Which one is safer??? Answer neither they are both rated the same...so what's the difference? Well venting and wind noise...the $700 most likely has better venting and less wind noise...the $700 helmet probably has a better liner that is removable and the shield is probably easier to get off and on, oh yeah you probably have a better chance of finding different colors of shields...there are probably a ton of things that I didn't get to but someone else will comment...
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Possibly but not noticeably. It's like comparing a luxury car to a Geo Metro. They'll both get you to the same place, but one will do it with style and comfort.
          '00 TT600
          '97 Katana 600 (bro's)
          '87 Grand National (car)

Comment

I personally have an inexpensive helmet, but some of friends have helmets that are $500 and up. They don't seem "safer", but there is a big difference in overall comfort and ventilation.
            Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Ditto on comfort, I went from a KBC to a Bell that at least had removable bits of lining. Paid about the same, but KBC was purchased from dealer and the Bell at a bike show (reduced price plus no tax). Also ditto on the wind noise.
              2004 GSX750F

Comment

Splurge on custom hearing protection ($100 - and reusable if you get off!) and buy the less expensive helmet? Personally, I don't care what paint is on my helmet...

Comment

so the additional money goes more toward features and paint instead of protection. interesting.

Comment

Some of the more expensive helmet are also hand build, as least that's what the Aria advertise... is hand build better protection? I don't say so, it can depends if the person is having good day or not, lol...
                    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Besides comfort the determining factor of a helmet for me is the standard by which it was tested.
                      I have done ALOT of reading about the different standards and liked the ECE 22.05 the most. Snell just makes extremely hard helmets that are heavy for no reason. ECE 22.05 is better because it is a bit softer but the way the helmets are constructed it is designed to absorb impact better then snell. Plus this allows all sorts of different composites to be used and are strengthened in certain places to keep you protected. The quality control is what I really like. With snell they send a prototype to the testing facility and they test it. If the helmet passes the test it is then put into production with the snell standard. With ECE 22.05 after the helmet is produced its batch tested and continully batch tested to they grab random helmets of the assembly line. If one helmet fails their batch test all of the helmets made with that one are scrapped.

Comment

i need to get around to buying me a new helmet. i had mine tied to the back of my bike and managed to grind it into the pavement.. i guess i should have been wearing it.

just for the effect, im probably buying a hjc off of ebay.

Comment

There are some very good helmets that are inexpensive and safe. Some of the more expensive helmets didn't even fair to well in recent crash tests.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Cycle World has done a couple of articles on helmets over the past few years. The 04 version of the helmet in the below link was tested and won over helmets costing hundreds more.

Comment

You can check out the UK Sharp rating site for some ideas

As I recall, a $50 pepboys lid did better in some tests than the expensive Shoei or Arai or something. FWIW I bought the Shoei because it's lighter, and comfortable for all day use. Every head is shaped differently as is ever model of helmet... buy the one that fits you!
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X