No announcement yet.
X

tank bag or tail bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Joe Rocket Manta XL tank bag as well. The "XL" is misleading though as it is still a relatively small bag compared to how large some tank bags are. It is just tall enough in the front for me to put my extra visor in it. And that leaves plenty of room for other items like a ballcap, bottle of water, wallet, keys, a couple packs of snack crackers, etc. I put my phone in the phone pocket, and there is a round pocket in the rear (closet to you) that will hold your ipod and accessories. While riding I don't even see it/notice it unless I look down.

I had a tail bag and took it back the next day. I just did not like all those bungie straps. Although, in the future, I may buy a used seat and remove the foam in the center of the pillion section so I can permanently attach a tail bag for a sleek and functional look. I'll just use a thin piece of plastic in the bottom of the bag, and put 4 bolts through it to attach it to the seat pan.
    Sold: 2001 Katana 600
    Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

I use a Manta XL and it works out pretty good. I can store a sweatshirt and a bottle of water in the main compartment, maps and smokes in the front round pocket and camera in the cell phone pocket.

Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

I got a tank bag from E-bay. Do a search for Motopak, and they have an assortment of stuff. The expandable tank bag that I got is 20L of storage, plus side pockets. The seller posts a new set each week, so just keep an eye out for when you can pick up what you want for cheap. The strp bag I got cost $20 plus shipping.
        "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

+1 on the Motopak stuff. I got a tank bag and tail bag off ebay for the price of one by any of the major brands. I took them on a week long trip this summer and they both worked great.

Comment

my tank is plastic, so I have no choice

Comment

Range, you could get one of the strap mounted tank bags. Mine locks down to a clip I have that runs to underneath my seat, and straps to just in front of the tank. Once it is tightened it doesn't flop around much.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I just ordered a Nelson Riggs CL350 Magnetic Tank bag. This is a really nice tank bag. It is expandable and can even fit a helmet in it. It has a nice sloped design too, which will allow you to lay right down on it to tuck behind shield.

I got a great price on it from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse ($65)
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Tail bag and back pack. I would still like to get a small tank bag though for when I load up for long camping trips etc.
                  Even with the saddle bags as well as tail and back pack I usually wish I had a little more space to carry stuff
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                    my tank is plastic, so I have no choice
                    Oh ya, you never see me with a tank bag
                    Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                    Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I use a Joe Rocket mini tank bag for everyday stuff - celly, wallet, keys, cigars, etc. For running overnight or hauling, I just got a set of Nelson Rigg CL-1000 saddlebags for pretty cheap at NewEnough.com. $68 and free shipping... nice.

"Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

New here, any suggestion on a tank bag that could hold a laptop? I need to bring it home on the commute daily. Up until know I take my backpack and wear it or strap it down behind me. If I could get a tank bag big enough I would get one

Comment

The OGIO Tanker might be large enough but it is pricey (about $115). That is about the largest tank Bag I can think of. The website says 17.5 x 11" So depending on the size of the laptop.
                          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I ended up getting a manta xl and love it. If you are looking for a laptop carier I went to my local national guard recuter. They have 2 different backpacks w/a laptop compartment. They gave me one of each FOR FREE.
                            One is black and the other is the new digits pattern. My buddy just bought a motorcycle backpack that is almost exactly the same for $100. I use the black one and my son uses the other for school. Give them a shot for the price you cant beat it.
                            05 Kat 600
                            Yoshi RS3
                            Bar Risers
                            Road Attacks
                            Fumoto Valve
                            Corbin Seat w / backrest
                            Sportech black chrome windscreen
                            Custom garage door opener

Comment

I use an Oxford tank bag, and Gears saddle bags and I am very impresed with both.

Comment

a few have already mentioned the motopak stuff. It is good quality stuff. I have no complaints whatsoever with the motopak luggage. The rain covers work great as do the neoprene paint protectors.

Both bikes you see here are loaded up with some of the different motopak options:

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X