X

leg armor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leg armor

I've been looking around and noticed riding pants with built in armor is very expensive
    how effective is the strap on stuff?
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Do you think you'd feel comfortable wearing catchers equipment on a bike?

Comment

good point Junior

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
        Do you think you'd feel comfortable wearing catchers equipment on a bike?
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

yeah that's kind of what I was afraid it feels like. guess I'm just going to have to save up some dough and get me a good pair of pants
          '06 600 Katana
          http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
          Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
          Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

I just ordered a full two piece suit that zipps together for $360.00. Check out the pics and the stats in this forum. look under: Top Gear Racing Suits Godd Bad Or Indifferent? Check em out i like them, and i will let everyone know how they fit when i get them next week!
            "Come to me, all of you are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Mathew 11:28

Comment

Malloc, who was at that dinner at O'Keefe's when were hanging off the firetruck wears combo knee/shin armor under his icon jeans when he rides. He's gone down twice with it on, and both times it kept him from ripping his kneecap to shreds, although he did say that it's generally only good for the first impact bounce (after that, they move down a bit and half the knee becomes exposed -- but he also has small calves, so the straps don't grab him as well as they might a normal adult male).

Having seen him right after one of those wrecks (cops-on-scene called me right after it happened), I have to say I have a high opinion of the Icon field-armor knee/shin package. I wouldn't trade a set of real riding pants for them, but if you're going to go down, you'll really wish you had something like that.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

On our father/son ride last summer, David elected to wear CE chin/knee guards over his kevlar-reinforced rock climbing jeans, instead of the extra pair of riding pants I had. No crash test, thankfully, but he never got on the bike without them on, and told me they were not uncomfortable at all.
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  <snip>
                  He's gone down twice with it on, and both times it kept him from ripping his kneecap to shreds, although he did say that it's generally only good for the first impact bounce (after that, they move down a bit and half the knee becomes exposed -- but he also has small calves, so the straps don't grab him as well as they might a normal adult male).
                  <snip>
                  I never bounce-tested mine, but that matches my impression from wearing those for a few months under jeans; sure as heck beat nothing (denim), aren't too uncomfortable, and are actually pretty secure with the full-wrap around the calf and above the knee. That said, if you are wearing jeans and they do move after impact, you are screwed until you come to a stop, and are probably wondering where they get the skin graft from if there is none left on your butt....

A NESBA CR I ride with does wear them under a custom 1-piece on the track after snapping a tibia in a racing crash (his impression is that the extra shin protection would have prevented the break). He hasn't bounced them either, but is probably on the right track.

Comment

A lot of my gear is from ICON and after Cyber's post Im going to for sure get the knee/shin protectors...... Thanks for the info Cyber

Comment

Originally posted by sven
                      \A NESBA CR I ride with does wear them under a custom 1-piece on the track after snapping a tibia in a racing crash (his impression is that the extra shin protection would have prevented the break). He hasn't bounced them either, but is probably on the right TRACK.
                      Pun intended???
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

You might also want to look at Bohn's armor system.

They have it available mounted to a netted garment that you can wear under your other gear or street clothing.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB

Pun intended???
                          Sadly, no....

Comment

Working...
                          X