X

Helmet Life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Life

As you can see I'm certainly a newb to the list and to riding (again). Just wondering how long you keep your helmet before you replace it. Is there any rule of thumb on the life of a helmet?

Thanks

Hmmm , been alot of articles in Motorcyclist and sucvh about that lately . They all agree though that after several years , the thing starts breaking down and may need replaced . Yeah , fat lot of help , I know . It MAY be on Motorcyclist's site somewhere with their helmet articles (motorcyclistonline.com) .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

5 years as a general guideline. Sooner if you tend to drop things.

Comment

When the top laminate starts delaminating or when you start getting bits of foam or crud in your hair from the inside of your helmet....

Seriously...many people use the 3-5 year rule...others will buy a helmet every year depending on the price of the helmet...I've had people tell me that an Arai or Shoei helmet should last 5 years while a HJC, KBC, Scorpion, etc(lower priced helmets) should be changed every 3 years and any helmet under $100.00 should be changed every year...Now so I don't get flamed this is only what I've gathered from many discussions with various riders....I neither disagree or agree with it..I'm just reporting...It doesn't make much sense in my opinion because the new HJC AC-11 helmet I bought, which is considered one of the top of the line helmets in the HJC line, according to the theory above should be replaced next year...I only paid $50 for it on clearance...but if I paid full price for it I should then replace it in 3 years....I know doesn't make much sence but these are exceptions to the rule....
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I'll replace mine after this season, it'll be 3 years old. However I've dropped it a few times, and replaced the visor once already.

I think it depends mostly on how much time riding you spend. I would expect the useful life of the helmet to be related to the amount of abuse it endures.

If you ride 24x7x365 new gear every year might be a good choice.

If you ride once every other sunday when it's sunny with no chance of rain maybe longer than 5 years.

The best system I've seen is my buddies dad. He has 2 lids. His "go to bike rally/sunday ride" lid and his "kicking around lid." When his wife gives him too much crap about how bad his kicking around lid looks, he gets a new "go to rally" lid and throws out his kicking around lid.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 on the three to five year rule.

Comment

I've always heard 5 years tops, then replace it.
              Kyle

Comment

officially it is 5 years from date of purchase or 7 years from MFG date, whichever comes first (some lids sit on the shelf for years.

After about three years your lid is getting kind of funky anyway.

Comment

I just replaced my old KBC. It had 3 years of use and had sat unused for 6 years. With steady use I think 5 years is a good average. I would go more on it's condition, rather than time however.
                  Smooth is Fast

Comment

The more you ride, the faster the replacement (i.e. - those who winter over may use a 5 year plan, but in Florida with all year-riding, 2 years is a better rule of thumb). If the outside has never been damaged, some manufacturers will either replace the interior foam or sell you a replacement interior to effective rejuvinate an existing helmet (Nolan will for example) at a reasonable cost.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X