X

Bandit 1200 vs Honda Interceptor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DClark View Post
    I think 60K miles is a lot for a used B12. Don't get me wrong, I know they can rack up the miles, but you don't know how it was driven or maintained, plus other things on it can wonky, like everything from switch gear to suspension.The local shop owner whose personal bike is a late '80's GSX 1100R told me that on that engine (B12, Katana 1100, B12 all have pretty much same motor) is good for at least 100K miles, but the head could need a rebuild as soon as 50K if the bike lead a flogged life.
    I would offer $1500, get a cheap sprocket/ chain set off the net. If he balks, I am sure others will be hesitant in spending that much on a B12 with 60K miles.
    In other words, think about what kind of bike $3000 could buy you, what could just a few hundred more $ get you? Remember, parts are pretty pricey. If I sold my '91 Katana 1100 this fall, a bike that is excellent shape, 22K miles, I 'd ask $2400 for it and I bet it is in helluva better shape than that B12. My point here is look for low miles, good shape, in a bike, regardless of age.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Unfortunately with a used bike you have to take the owner's word about maintenance after a certain point.

I haven't talked to the owner of the interceptor much, as he's on vacation with his kids. The owner of the Bandit was very much willing to talk about the bike. Says he changed the oil every 3k miles, had the valves adjusted at the listed intervals. He's 55 and used it only as a commuter between work and home.

So, as far as treatment of the bandit, seems to have been treated about as well as I would expect myself to. And as I said, I haven't heard from the owner of the interceptor yet. Doesn't seem to be willing to talk at this point, not at least until he gets home.

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post

I thought the VFR800 has 6-speed..
        It does. Type-o. Sorry.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Now I've got another option, a Suzuki RF900R.
          The person so far has asked if I was interested, hasn't given me a price yet.
          Honestly I've never heard of this bike until now, thoughts? Anyone ridden one?

Comment

The RF is a nice bike, but at this point it's old... and finding parts could become an issue.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That bike had controversial styling that the designer claims, was inspired by a trip to the acquarium. Personally, I thought it was pretty nice.
              They came out in '94, maybe to feel i the void when the Katana 1100 was axed. They also had a RF 600 version.
              It was never popular and it was axed in '98 ( I think). Since it was never popular, count on non existent aftermarket and poor used parts availability.

Comment

just perhaps something to look into...I recall reading up on the Bandit Alley discussion board that certain B12 model years had an oil consumption issue...I think it was either a piston size or ring issue...? I had a B6 at the time...and I believe both models experience a vibration in a certain crusing rpm range....on long rides my jewels would numb up...though it may have been a tuning issue...but it seemed to get a lot of attention on the message board...having had a bandit i'd like to try the vfr personnally.
                2004 GSX750F

Comment

Oil consumption happend on 2001-2001 Bandit 1200.

My 2001 Bandit 1200 has VIN that is on the Suzuki service bullitin, I've had the bike since 9,000 mi. on the odometer, currently little over 12,000 mi. I havn't notice any oil consumption.

Comment

go VFR... if you want to be happy
                    sigpic
                    89 Katana -94 Katana
                    02 CBR F4i - 07 VFR 800
                    03 SuperHawk (sold) -
                    84 VF500f

Comment

I am a biased viffer owner as well since I ride a 95 Honda VFR750f with a number of mods. But the mods are waiting for me in boxes once I am done with being an IRR Recall in iraq. Thank god may is coming fast!!
                      I have owned everything from a FZ6, r6, katana 750, and this vfr750. By far the vfr is my favorite bike with the katana being in second. The VFR is the most nuetral handling bike I have ever had. It is comfortable, handles well, isn't picky about what gear you exit a corner in, and is just plain great. Its a smooth running bike with no buzz in the bars, its easy to work on, bullet proof, and the vfr forum is as good as this forum. The rectifier problem is an easy fix of soldiering/shrink wrapping 5 wires with a rectifier bought from an r1 or a gsxr. I don't have any experience with the linked brakes as I have a 4th Gen.

I would go viffer and give 4th-6th gen a hard look because they are all great bikes. Good deals on 5th gens are hard to find because they are high priced and high mileage as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X