X

Bandit 1200 vs Honda Interceptor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit 1200 vs Honda Interceptor

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a second bike and wanted opinions.

I have a bucket list of motorcycles (ones I want to own before I die)
    On that list is a Bandit 1200 and a Honda Interceptor . There's currently one of each in the Dallas area for the right price (~$3000)
    with similar miles, both adult owned and ridden and garage kept. The Bandit is 03, the VFR is 98.
    I know it's almost apples and oranges but anyway.
    Bandit pros from my perspective:
    Bigger engine and more power than I could ever dream of using
    Easy easy easy maintenance
    Much less expensive then the Interceptor

Cons:
    Bigger engine, I'll probably be more of an idiot on the 1200
    Less comfortable and less refined (from what I've read)

Interceptor pros:
    V-4
    Sleek beautiful bike, that I'd take damn good care of
    Honda reliability

Cons:
    Price mostly
    Smaller engine and smaller bike (I'm 6'5", I look like a bear on a tricycle riding my kat)

As far as carbed vs FI:
    It's a toss up as to which I prefer.
    I don't like computers on my bikes...I prefer everything mechanical. Just a personal thing. But carbs are also a hassle when they're not working right. So again, both have their pros and cons.

Honestly can't decide. Looking for advice.

I was never overly impressed by the Bandit. The VFR is much more fun... that's just my take on things. However the VTEC in the 98's was a little wonky from what I remember... and some people complained about that. 1998 was a first year bike for that generation as I recall.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      I was never overly impressed by the Bandit. The VFR is much more fun... that's just my take on things. However the VTEC in the 98's was a little wonky from what I remember... and some people complained about that. 1998 was a first year bike for that generation as I recall.
      Sounds like what I've heard too. VTEC didn't make it into the VFRs until 2002 and from what I've heard no one really likes it.

Comment

I've heard the same thing about VTEC, but '98 doesn't have it. VFR800 (5th gen) is supposed to be the best of the VFRs.

Comment

I have owned both, 2000 VFR800 and Bandit 1200 (2003 & currently 2001).

If you are handy, Bandit is easier to maintain yourself, that's why I went to the Bandit and sold the VFR. Linked brakes are PIA and does not offer significant performance advantage. Bandit is just as rock solid reliable, even simple to work with.

Yes, 5th gen. VFR is the best VFR.

Comment

The tone I'm getting from other people right now, is that if you're in my shoes (college student without alot of spending money) it's better to go with the Bandit because of just the overall cost of maintenance and it's maintenance I can do myself.

I'll probably end up flipping a coin.

Comment

Fuel Injection is actually easier to maintain than carbs.

It's your call really. I think the Honda is the "nicer" bike.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Just talked to the seller of the bandit.
                ~60k on the bike, basically he's ridden it back and forth from his work (100 miles each way) every day for the past 7 years and really nothing else.
                $2750 if I want him to replace the chain and sprockets for me, $2200 if I do the work myself. The only other thing that's iffy is that the bike can go into neutral just fine, but the neutral light doesn't come on and the bike dies when you put down the kickstand.

Will be looking at it tomorrow. Anything to look for? I'm going to see if I can see the interceptor while I'm out there but the seller is currently on spring break with his kids.

Comment

The bike is supposed to die when you put the sidestand down in gear. The light is probably a bad sensor.... which means the electronics don't know it's in N.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Get the Viffer.
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

60K Miles?

$2200 doesn't seem like that great of a deal, at least to me, on a Bandit 1200 that needs works and has those kind of miles.

I know it wouldn't be a stretch to put 100K on bike...but the combination of that, chain / sprockets, sensor issues etc...

I personally would pass.

The 5th gen VFR is usually praised as the best, and it's not Vtec.

IF you do your OWN maintenance the VFR isn't more expensive...but it may be more time consuming.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I thought 22 sounded pretty good, I've seen older bandits that the seller says aren't running for 25. This is a tough decision. I really want the VFR. Everyone at sport touring.net is telling me Bandit right now. :-\ I dunno.

Comment

I think 60K miles is a lot for a used B12. Don't get me wrong, I know they can rack up the miles, but you don't know how it was driven or maintained, plus other things on it can wonky, like everything from switch gear to suspension.The local shop owner whose personal bike is a late '80's GSX 1100R told me that on that engine (B12, Katana 1100, B12 all have pretty much same motor) is good for at least 100K miles, but the head could need a rebuild as soon as 50K if the bike lead a flogged life.
                          I would offer $1500, get a cheap sprocket/ chain set off the net. If he balks, I am sure others will be hesitant in spending that much on a B12 with 60K miles.
                          In other words, think about what kind of bike $3000 could buy you, what could just a few hundred more $ get you? Remember, parts are pretty pricey. If I sold my '91 Katana 1100 this fall, a bike that is excellent shape, 22K miles, I 'd ask $2400 for it and I bet it is in helluva better shape than that B12. My point here is look for low miles, good shape, in a bike, regardless of age.

Comment

Both bikes are very competent sport touring bikes. So, it's going to come down to what you really want. Some comparisons...

Bandit = In-line 4 w/ 5 speed gearbox
                            VFR = V4 w/ 6 speed gearbox

Bandit = 98 hp @ 8500 rpm
                            VFR = 110 hp @ 10500 rpm

Bandit = Cam Chains
                            VFR = Gear driven cams

Bandit = 485 lbs.
                            VFR = 458 lbs.

Bandit = Carburated
                            VFR = FI

Bandit = limited electronics
                            VFR = weak electronics, with R/R issues (problem fix avail)

I dig on the V4 growl coupled with the gear whine of the 5th Gen over my last bike (Pre-98 Kat). But, B12 is a sweet ride, too. Which one was better taken care of?
                            Last edited by VifferJim; 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM.
                            "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Just some references, I bought my 2003 Bandit 1200 w/3600 mi. on odometer, bone stock @ $2800 in Oct of 2008.

I bought my 2001 Bandit 1200 w/9500 mi, with new set of Conti. tires, Dale slip-on, Stage 1 kit installed and 5 degree timing advance @ $2000 in Oct of 2009.

I bought my 2000 VFR800 w/14,xxx mi. D&D slip-on, tires @ 70%, needed new chain/sprockets and brake fluids/pads. Paid $3200 in Oct 2004.

All of which I have to drive a few hours to pick up the bikes.

Carb vs FI make really no difference to me, since I ride year round.

Right now is not the best time to find deals for used motos, better pricing in Oct or Nov.

I thought the VFR800 has 6-speed..
                              Last edited by "K"; 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X