X

Vs. Kawasaki ZX-14 ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
    I wish it's a 1000 instead but then it's a 1400 monster..
    for what it's worth the Busa (and I imagine the 14) are far more forgiving than the modern era litre bikes. The power is smooth and available through out the entire RPM range. Today's 1000 cc's have Busa (14) power, are lighter, and come to life in the higher RPM's to the point where, if you are not thinking about hanging on, than you probably won't be hanging on for much longer. Basically what I am trying to say is the 1000 cc's are no more suitbale for a 1 year rider than a busa or a 14 is. In fact probaly even less so.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I guess it all depends upon what you call 'forgiving'. I think a heavier bike is inherently more stable, though the weight of the bike can give you a deceptive, almost detached feeling. -Your speeds can ramp up accordingly.

This is probably an awful way to describe it, but the weight of the bike can carry you through a corner. A beginner mistake that many people make is to cook into a corner too fast and let off the throttle. On a 1000 that weighs 70 pounds less, this can cause you to get into trouble because you'll lose too much speed and then you'll instinctively try to stand the bike up, which can put you into oncoming traffic. On a big-bore, the weight of the bike will carry more forward momentum and prevent you from losing the momentum that's necessary to continue to arc the corner properly. That's just one example of the differences between a 1K and a 1.3+ K.

I agree with you CP, as good as a driver in NYC's crazy traffic for over 20 years, I still only have less than a year's riding experience. Yes, I really wanted the ZX14, not really for the power but more the fact that the bike's shape and layout is exactly the kind of motorcycle I wanted since I was 16! I wish it's a 1000 instead but then it's a 1400 monster..

I actually call my insurance company and they quoted me $1100 a year for just liability... I am currently paying $600 for the Kat... $1100 is a bit too high, but is still manageable for me. But it's the "power" issuse that is holding me back.

I also just sold my Kat today, so I will be actively debating my next "lover", so many choices. I also wonder is the 2009 Honda VFR going to be a new model?

But one day, just one day I will still get the ZX14

You mentioned that the ZX14 does breaks down??? Is that true??? The reason I am thinking of the ZX14 is that it seems like a good touring platform but I don't want it to break down on me in middle of nowhere....

Call State Farm. If you have them there.

My rates with GEICO: $1450 per year, $500 deduct, standard coverages.
      My rates with State Farm: $450 per year, $100 deduct., standard coverages, plus towing and rental.
      Last edited by Nero; 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post

My rates with State Farm: $450 per year, $100 deduct., standard coverages, plus towing and rental.
        Is that liability only, or full coverage?

Comment

GSXF, what I would recommend to someone in your particular niche is one of the following:

Kawasaki KLR or VerSys
          Suzuki DR400SM, VStrom 650, DRZ650SE
          KTM 690 (any of their 690 models, including the SMC, the duke and the supermoto R)
          BMW G650XCountry or F800 models.

All of these bikes are ideal for in-city carving, fast acceleration and generally perfectly capable (except maybe the DR400SM & the KTM 690 SupermotoR) of being pressed into service eating serious highway miles as tourers as well.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My brother owns one I took it for a ride it will tear your arms off and leave you siting on the road armless ! Clamp your legs down as hard as you can and prepare for warp speed instant triple digits.

Ya and a must have steering stabilizer my brother took his new bike out and on the 11 mi. mark went down sliding down the road 200 yards uncontrollable head shake to many horses can not hang onto bars stabilizer will fix this should of had one from factory.
            Last edited by scaryfast777; 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

09 Monster Energy ZX-14...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by scaryfast777 View Post
                My brother owns one I took it for a ride it will tear your arms off and leave you siting on the road armless ! Clamp your legs down as hard as you can and prepare for warp speed instant triple digits.

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                09 Monster Energy ZX-14...

Very nice!!!
                Last edited by Zepp; 09-21-2008, 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
                  Is that liability only, or full coverage?

Full coverage - 41 with no tickets...

Originally posted by scaryfast777 View Post
                  My brother owns one I took it for a ride it will tear your arms off and leave you siting on the road armless !
                  Last edited by Nero; 09-21-2008, 06:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

GSXF, what I would recommend to someone in your particular niche is one of the following:

Kawasaki KLR or VerSys
                    Suzuki DR400SM, VStrom 650, DRZ650SE
                    KTM 690 (any of their 690 models, including the SMC, the duke and the supermoto R)
                    BMW G650XCountry or F800 models.
                    Thanks for the suggestion CP. All the bike you listed I had look into and they are all great ones. However, I actually don't ride that much in the City, it's no fun at all constantly avoiding people and cars, it's crazy here! I ride outward of the city instead so I can keep on the throttles, instead of the brake modulations....

Truth be told I am reaching out to becoming a touring rider, and hope I can attend the upcoming Kat Rally even I won't be coming with a Kat

THANKS NERO, will certainly check them out! YOU THE MAN!
                    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion CP. All the bike you listed I had look into and they are all great ones. However, I actually don't ride that much in the City, it's no fun at all constantly avoiding people and cars, it's crazy here! I ride outward of the city instead so I can keep on the throttles, instead of the brake modulations....

Truth be told I am reaching out to becoming a touring rider, and hope I can attend the upcoming Kat Rally even I won't be coming with a Kat
                      The Kawasaki VerSys and the BMW F800ST should be on your short-list then. The BMW dealer will let you test ride (good way to spend a day off); the Kawasaki dealer won't, but the factory does do some shows each year where they have test rides (BikeWeek, etc.).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                        Well I'm obviously biased

I love the ZX-14. It is an amazing bike that offers it all. It is very powerful and fast but it handles so nicely whether cruising around town or around the country. It is very comfortable and even more comfortable than my Kat was. It provides you all the power you could ever need, whether you are riding alone or with a passenger. The technology is far superior to the Kat. The ZX-14 handles amazingly well and much better than the Kat. I ride with friends on their 600rr and liter bikes all the time in the twisties, it has no problems at all I also can ride all day on the bike and never get sore. Something that my buddies can't do

Yes, I do ride a lot too. I have only owned mine since the last few days in April but have put over 9,000 miles on mine. Those are 9,000 very hard, aggressive miles too, since most of my riding is in the twisties.

Read my bike review from when I first bought the bike. It will give you an idea of the differences between the two bikes when my Kat was still the freshest in my mind.

If you like the Kat, you will LOVE the 14 I look at my bike every day and just love it more each day. Honestly. It is an AWESOME bike.
                        You make it sound so good, Zepp. You should be a salesman. Where can I get one of these "Zx-14s" ????
                        =USAF= Retired

Comment

I don't like the '09 USA-specific color choices -- burnt orange or black with green stripes? IMHO: Yuck!

I do like the Brit choices better: Candy Lime Green or Metallic Diablo Black.

Even the Connie has much better color options in the UK!

No Fair!

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I can't believe they're not offering a red, white or blue version for '09. That's un-American :...and un-French...
                            Last edited by Nero; 09-22-2008, 12:10 PM.
                            =USAF= Retired

Comment

Yeah, I can't believe they're not offering a red, white or blue version for '09. That's un-American :...and un-French...
                              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

You make it sound so good, Zepp. You should be a salesman. Where can I get one of these "Zx-14s" ????
                                I don't have to sell you one. you know how AWESOME they are

I know a guy that owns (2) ZX-14's an 07 and an 08

Yes, it is one heck of a bike
                                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X