X

what gear is needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wcj View Post
    That's some of the most idiotic stuff Ive ever read. The rules each organization has is setup to protect everyone involved. It's not just liability. It's common sense. Tracks are easy if you're not looking to make excuses. Put a price tag on your family attending your funeral or court appearance for man slaughter and pretty soon the proper gear isnt all that expensive or inconvenient.
    Where do you get manslaughter out of this? The only way I see that could happen is if you dump the bike and/or cross the center (if there's no barricade) and nail the other bike and make him crash/die. Gear won't exactly help the person who dumped first in that case.

You're not the only person at the track. What you do can affect someone else. If you go to the track and smear yourself across the asphalt in your shorts and tennis shoes, it affects more than just your skin. Everyone else that's there looking to have a good time has to wait until they can scrape you off the track.
    So? If somebody wrecks a car or bike in full gear they have to wait for them to pick up all the hazardous objects anyway, then re-prep the track..

You're not the only one using the streets. When someone rides like a douche bag on the streets, they not only endanger themselves, but they also endanger anyone that they may come close to. It's hard enough for other drivers to gauge bikes on the streets. Add a little street racing to that and sooner or later, you will either be the cause for a car load of dead kids or be the cause for someone else and your family to be traumatized for life because your head was used as a hood ornament.
    Well I don't ride nor drive like a douche bag on the streets, so it really doesn't apply to me, I'm just against the whole concept of people pushing that "take it to the track" crap, without knowing everything that has to be done to satisfy the track admins. If you don't have a lot of extra cash you feel is unnecessary, it's a royal pain in the *** to just "take it to the track." The only extra gear I'm considering is boots, as sneakers obviously aren't safe, and getting a pair of regular jeans, as I currently have none, only shorts and Khakis. Boots seem to be expensive as all hell, though.

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
    ^ +99999999
    i completely agree.
    and you think your only endangering yourself?
    i had a mustang lose control and come into my lane last night and came within a foot of hitting me.... that would have really sucked to lose control of a bike cause i got hit at 110mph especially if i only had a helmet and shorts on.... its not expensive to gear up for the track.
    I see where you're coming from, although if you get clocked by an oncoming mustang you're toast regardless of the gear.

Snell approved helmet which you probably already have $100
    Have, $65, thank god the CL-16's cameout, the CL-15 price plummeted.
    jacket $100 (probably have that already)
    GX Air 2 - $230
    gloves $30 (maybe you have them maybe not)
    GX Air 2 - $35
    Jeans at a minimum ( you have like 12 pairs?)
    0 pairs, I only wear shorts (year round), only time I wear pants is weekdays 8-5 (including the ride there and back) because there's a dress code, and shorts aren't on it...That being said, some tracks will require riding pants, $100? $200?
    boots that cover ankle $40
    I've been wanting to get a pair for sometime as I don't like riding in my sneakers (although it's better than riding in my dress shoes), but $40? I've seen them there-abouts the $100 range.

going home to see your family at night : PRICELESS

now lets look at the cost of racing on the street
    speeding ticket 20-24 over $300 and insurance goes up
    + a $200 court fee.
    speeding ticket 25 + $500 + misdemeanor + night in jail + bail + some kind of punishment including more jail time or community service etc. + you could be charged with reckless endangerment or reckless driving or exhibition of speed, you could potentiality be looking at a couple thousand in fines probably 6 months of jail time AND LETS NOT FORGET THE FACT THAT YOUR ARE PROBABLY 1000 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO DIE RACING ON THE STREET VS THE TRACK.
    I'm aware and agree, but it's also far away on only certain days of the week and the inspectors are going to be d-bags about making sure everything is perfect, especially if it's mostly a car track and they don't get many/any bikes then they're going to be following whatever guidelines they may have to the letter.

I just feel at the track you're not endangering other people, and it should be okay to ride in shorts and a t-shirt if that's what that person wants. I won't be, if I ever go to the track, but I don't see the problem if somebody does, either.. In turn it makes racing on an empty road easier..not necessarily right, and yes, more dangerous to both the rider and other people (though I'm still hazy on how a bike generally affects other vehicles), but less expensive and less bureaucratic than a track would be about it. For example, a DOT approved helmet will probably protect you just as well as one also approved by Snell. Also, not all of us have the money for extra equip. I'm not going to buy a pair of riding pants which I wouldn't wear on the street anyway for a couple of track days. If it was a regular track and not a drag strip, sure, but at the strip? No.
    Last edited by Syndacate; 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM.
    '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
    '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
    '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
    '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
    '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

You really should go take the MSF course. It may save your family some grief.

Comment

this is never bad advice.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Yeah, I want to do that Monday (gotta call up, I got a few questions for them about the test wavier), gotta remember to do that.

Unfortunately it's all the way at the end of august, though .
          '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
          '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
          '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
          '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

I don't see anything useful happening in this thread. And Syndacate.... calm down.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
            X