X

what gear is needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what gear is needed

trying to find out what kind of gear is needed to race at the drag strip. Tried looking around and searching but came up with nothing.

Originally posted by jrao83 View Post
    trying to find out what kind of gear is needed to race at the drag strip. Tried looking around and searching but came up with nothing.
    Jacket boots and gloves some places will allow jeans some wont. Helmet is obviously a must, most drag strips will require it to be snell approved so check to make sure, should say on the back, also check under the liner in the helmet for a gold snell sticker, the damn inspector at my track makes you rip the helmet apart to show him that stupid sticker every time i go.
    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

yeah no problem, what are you riding?
        Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Best bet would be to call the track ahead of time and see what they say.

Jeans? seriously I wouldn't have thought any drag strips would allow those.
          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
            Best bet would be to call the track ahead of time and see what they say.

Jeans? seriously I wouldn't have thought any drag strips would allow those.
            yeah, i have some joe rocket riding pants with all the pads in them that i wear my track only requires full leathers if you go 150+ which most bikes dont do.
            Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
              yeah no problem, what are you riding?
              05 600 same colors you have. bought used at a dealer so i am not sure of the mods. i do know it has a RS3 yoshi slip on.

Comment

05 600 same colors you have. bought used at a dealer so i am not sure of the mods. i do know it has a RS3 yoshi slip on.
                awesome, stay safe, dont try to do 2much 2 fast. by the end of the night im sure you can hit mid 12s

let us know how it goes
                Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

mid 12's? I thought these bike were in the mid 13 range.

Comment

mid 12's? I thought these bike were in the mid 13 range.
                    no i think stock with a pro rider, its a 12.2 bike if i remember right i was hitting 12.5s with just my 2bros slip on at 5300ft elevation. 190lb rider
                    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Every track is different, and it can vary at the same track depending on the event. At Norwalk, if it's Wednesday night, I've seen guys run in a half-helmet, a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers (I wear a leather jacket, full face, gloves, jeans, and boots). If it's a real NHRA event it absolutely must be a Snell helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants and boots for most street bikes, full leathers if you're running fast. For an AMA event it's pretty much full leathers no matter what, from what I can tell.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

It will depend on the track. Where I race leather upper, full face helmet, leather gloves and boots. Anything over 80 mph requires protective pants or full leathers. I am just pushing 80 on a 500 ft track and occasionally break it. I could race in jeans if I wanted to, but wear pants anyway.

I have found the clearance section of BikeBandit.com to have some awesome prices on gear. I have purchased all of my son's riding gear on that site, with the exception of his helmet. I bought my pants from them and paid $27 for a $109 pair because they were last years design\color.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

This is why racing on the street is easier. You don't have to worry about tracks covering their *** 6 ways form Sunday in prevention from liability.

That's why I get ****ed when people say "take it to the track" and complain about danger and **** on public roads. If only it were that easy.

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
                          Every track is different, and it can vary at the same track depending on the event. At Norwalk, if it's Wednesday night, I've seen guys run in a half-helmet, a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers (I wear a leather jacket, full face, gloves, jeans, and boots). If it's a real NHRA event it absolutely must be a Snell helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants and boots for most street bikes, full leathers if you're running fast. For an AMA event it's pretty much full leathers no matter what, from what I can tell.
                          Exactly, I wear a riding jacket, gloves, and helmet on a daily basis, but I enjoy a nice ride on a hot day in shorts. If I was at the strip I'd hate to wear jeans, but if that's all that's required, I'd do it. No way I'd waste my time at a place that makes you get regular riding pants...and I have a Snell '05 approved helmet..but DOT should be good enough, realistically.

I wear sneakers b/c I can double knot the laces instead of my dress shoes when I go to work every day. That's my definition of "gearing up." I wear my khakis and polo to work every day under my jacket, only thing I change is my shoes. Sure ,a dump will tear through khakis a lot faster, but that's a risk.

Either way I don't feel like nor have the money to buy full gear up just to run my bike down the track, all you should realistically need for a non-official event is a helmet.

****ing liability bull****.

That's why I get so annoyed when people say stupid **** like "take it to the track" - like they just let you ride there or something... Endangering yourself should be your own business. Natural selection, I'd say. At a drag strip you can realistically only hurt yourself, see no reason to impose extra standards.

That's the only thing keeping me from going to the strip, I don't know any non-official strips near me, and there's one that's an hour away that's official. Probably going to be a pain in the neck just to get a run in.

'97 Civic EX - Secondary car
                          '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
                          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
                          '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
                          '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
                            Endangering yourself should be your own business.
                            That's some of the most idiotic stuff Ive ever read. The rules each organization has is setup to protect everyone involved. It's not just liability. It's common sense. Tracks are easy if you're not looking to make excuses. Put a price tag on your family attending your funeral or court appearance for man slaughter and pretty soon the proper gear isnt all that expensive or inconvenient.

You're not the only person at the track. What you do can affect someone else. If you go to the track and smear yourself across the asphalt in your shorts and tennis shoes, it affects more than just your skin. Everyone else that's there looking to have a good time has to wait until they can scrape you off the track.

You're not the only one using the streets. When someone rides like a douche bag on the streets, they not only endanger themselves, but they also endanger anyone that they may come close to. It's hard enough for other drivers to gauge bikes on the streets. Add a little street racing to that and sooner or later, you will either be the cause for a car load of dead kids or be the cause for someone else and your family to be traumatized for life because your head was used as a hood ornament.

Comment

^ +99999999
                              i completely agree.
                              and you think your only endangering yourself?
                              i had a mustang lose control and come into my lane last night and came within a foot of hitting me.... that would have really sucked to lose control of a bike cause i got hit at 110mph especially if i only had a helmet and shorts on.... its not expensive to gear up for the track.
                              Snell approved helmet which you probably already have $100
                              jacket $100 (probably have that already)
                              gloves $30 (maybe you have them maybe not)
                              Jeans at a minimum ( you have like 12 pairs?)
                              boots that cover ankle $40
                              going home to see your family at night : PRICELESS

now lets look at the cost of racing on the street
                              speeding ticket 20-24 over $300 and insurance goes up
                              speeding ticket 25 + $500 + misdemeanor + night in jail + bail + some kind of punishment including more jail time or community service etc. + you could be charged with reckless endangerment or reckless driving or exhibition of speed, you could potentiality be looking at a couple thousand in fines probably 6 months of jail time AND LETS NOT FORGET THE FACT THAT YOUR ARE PROBABLY 1000 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO DIE RACING ON THE STREET VS THE TRACK.
                              Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Working...
                              X