Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter issue - please help :(

2004 gsxf600
    18,000 miles

When I hit the start button the relay next to the fuse box directly under the seat is clicking. But the bike isn't doing anything at all. Does that mean the relay is no good? Or the starter? Or?? Just started up the other day no problem.
    Last edited by Nasdaq; 08-09-2014, 08:15 AM. Reason: Wording

Most likely a battery issue. Take it out, have it tested for load, and replace if it fails.

Just checking volts will not tell you if the battery is bad.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Literally just put in a top of the line one two weeks ago

Comment

Mine does the same. After waiting a week on a replacement starter from a 95 600, I in install it and have the same problem. On to the solenoid. ..
        sigpic

Comment

try jumping from car.ENGINE OFF. that will eliminate weak battery for testing.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Jump the starter relay, if it turn over you may have a bad relay.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Doesnt turn by jumping. Battery at 12.5v.
              sigpic

Comment

Doesn't do anything just clicks. Brand new battery. Just clicks. I should add I have noticed since I've gotten te bike 2 years ago, sometimes when I go to start it I would have to hit the button more than once sometimes to get it to continue to turn over again.

Comment

If you jump the starter terminals on the relay and the starter doesn't do anything your starter or electrical to the starter is bad, check and clean the start switch.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I've never jumped terminals like that. Is there a diagram for that relay? Or a how to? I don't even know where the starter is lmao

I see a pricey tow and dealer visit for my baby happening soon dammit
                    Last edited by Nasdaq; 08-09-2014, 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I did have to replace the master fuse behind the left fairing so I know where that is. Is the starter solenoid/relay easy to get to and manipulate to isolate? I just really don't have the $ to pay to get towed and fixed and my bike is stuck at work . Even though I just put new battery in I did try jumping and nothing. I would appreciate any direction. This just sucks. Last few weeks of summer and holiday weekend on too of it
                      Last edited by Nasdaq; 08-10-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasdaq View Post
                        I did have to replace the master fuse behind the left fairing so I know where that is. Is the starter solenoid/relay easy to get to and manipulate to isolate? I just really don't have the $ to pay to get towed and fixed and my bike is stuck at work . Even though I just put new battery in I did try jumping and nothing. I would appreciate any direction. This just sucks. Last few weeks of summer and holiday weekend on too of it

Same spot as the fuse you mentioned. Looks like this...

Jump the 2 large posts you see in the front. That will bypass the starter relay and tell you if it's the issue. Could be one of those fuses again though.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

On second attempt, I think mine turned a little. Gonna mess with it some more later if its not raining. ..
                          sigpic

Comment

So it could be one of those two fuses shown above? And you are saying to maybe put a wire from one to the other terminals then try to start the bike right?

Comment

Seems like the battery could be my problem. It does turn a little. When I push the horn button, it definitely sounds low. I tried jump starting. No good. Any more suggestions?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X