X

Lost light in one bulb?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost light in one bulb?

So i purchased some 12v/55w H4 xenon blue bulbs to replace the stock bulbs on my 2001 kat , i was told by the seller it was just a simple replace bulbs and im good to go.
    When testing i had light in the right bulb but not in the left, untill i switched on high-beam then they both worked fine
    I switched back to stock bulbs and having the same problem
    What have i done wrong?

I believe that is the way UK bikes work, US bikes have both.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

i had both lights before i switched over

Comment

check the lamp socket for dislodged pins.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So after swearing at my bike for a few hours it turned out the low beam in one of each pairs of bulbs was broken, so im having to mix and match untill my replacement arrives

Heres how they look in comparison for anyone interested in these bulbs

Comment

Is that on low or high beam? Either way - major difference. I do a ton of night riding (commute, I get off after dark year round) I think I need to look into this. Thanks for the pic!
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Just bear in mind that "zenon blue" standard H4 bulbs produce that whiter light, which is great for being seen and for reflected markers and signs etc., but can actually be absorbed (not reflected) as well off other surfaces including some roads and objects. Given the Kat has 2 headlights, I run blue (6000K IIRC) in one and a high output "X-Treme Vision +80%" (4300K) in the other for the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                Is that on low or high beam? Either way - major difference. I do a ton of night riding (commute, I get off after dark year round) I think I need to look into this. Thanks for the pic!
                These are low beam lights, il grab a picture of high beams when the sun goes down.
                They give off a much cleaner looking light, and although im only using them on the one side it lights up the road alot better already.
                Im looking foward to seeing what two of these babys look like!

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                  Just bear in mind that "zenon blue" standard H4 bulbs produce that whiter light, which is great for being seen and for reflected markers and signs etc., but can actually be absorbed (not reflected) as well off other surfaces including some roads and objects. Given the Kat has 2 headlights, I run blue (6000K IIRC) in one and a high output "X-Treme Vision +80%" (4300K) in the other for the best of both worlds.
                  I have 2 different bulbs as well. seems more noticeable.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have a '91 Kat, which only uses one bulb. I was using an X-treme Vision bulb and I really liked it until i started having problems recently. How is your X-treme Vision holding up? Thanks.

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
                    ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
                    '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrNewYork View Post
                      I have a '91 Kat, which only uses one bulb. I was using an X-treme Vision bulb and I really liked it until i started having problems recently. How is your X-treme Vision holding up? Thanks.
                      Bulb is fine after 3 years and 35K kms. I have had an issue with the Kat's headlight wiring that interfered with the headlight operation. But after I traced and repaired the fault, everything works perfectly. I've found the Philips bulbs to be the best in all vehicles over a lot of years. Some of the cheaper "Xenon Blue" and even Narva bulbs just don't last as long.

Comment

Bulb is fine after 3 years and 35K kms. I have had an issue with the Kat's headlight wiring that interfered with the headlight operation. But after I traced and repaired the fault, everything works perfectly. I've found the Philips bulbs to be the best in all vehicles over a lot of years. Some of the cheaper "Xenon Blue" and even Narva bulbs just don't last as long.
                        Please explain how the wiring interfered with headlight operation. I'm having a problem right now. I wonder if it's the same problem. See below. Thanks

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
                        ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
                        '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Comment

Working...
                        X