Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Please help: bone dry battery, related to headlight problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help: bone dry battery, related to headlight problem?

Good afternoon, everybody. Please help me with the problems I’m having with my Kat. I describe the problems in detail below.

I recently returned to SoCal from a 2-week long trip to Vegas. I had no MAJOR problems with my bike on the way there, but as I left to return to SoCal, my bike wouldn't start. So I asked a friend to give me a push-start and I was on my way. I stopped for gas a couple times on the way and the second time I had to ask someone for a push. (The first time, I just kept the engine on while filling up—unwise, I know.)

After I got back to SoCal, I took out the battery and it was BONE dry. I've had my '91 Kat 600 for over 14 years, since early 2000. This battery is only a few months old. I had seen this problem only once before, with a different battery, nearly 10 years ago.

Last night, I filled all the cells up to the line with distilled water and hooked up the battery to the charger. This morning, I put the battery back in the bike and it started right up. I connected a meter to the battery post bolts and it read 14.89 V at idle and 14.93 V when I twist the throttle a little. I looked in the Service Manual to see what the max voltage is supposed to be, but the Service Manual only states "above 13.5 V (DC) at 5,000" rpm. What is the max voltage supposed to be?

While visiting one of several friends in Vegas, I would park my bike outside in the sun, sometimes for days at a time. The temp in Vegas was over 100 degrees F for a few days while I was there, but I don't think that that would've affected the battery to this extent. Would it?

When I had a similar problem nearly 10 years ago, I ended up having to replace the voltage regulator-- NOT cheap. (I paid expensive New York City mechanic labor.) I quit riding my bike continuously nearly 8 years ago, due to my going away on active duty on several occasions. So the replacement voltage regulator has NOT been in a bike that's been ridden for 10 years straight since it's been replaced. What's the average life expectancy of a voltage regulator?

Could this be related to another problem?:

The high beam of the PIAA bulb that I have burnt out a while ago. I used to take a twisty highway to attend night classes at a college over 50 miles away from my house. It sucked having to slow down just because I couldn't see as far with the low beam. So I replaced it with a bright bulb designed for CARS. I searched online for a nice bright bulb and found that the Philips X-treme Vision got good reviews. I bought one and installed it a month and 20 days ago. That same night, I rode over 450 miles to attend a wedding. I arrived at my friend’s house right around sunrise. The Philips X-treme Vision bulb performed beautifully. The bright high beam (and bright low beam) allowed me to see far ahead.

Three weeks after I installed the Philips X-treme Vision bulb, I started having problems. I helped a friend get ready for his ride to Sturgis. I agreed to see him off before dawn and ride with him till he got to the main freeway. As we started our bikes, my headlight wouldn't turn on. So I unplugged the bulb to take a look at it with a flashlight. The filament was fine. I shook the bulb: no noise. As I was re-installing the bulb, I noticed that the plastic part of the harness that the bulb plugs into was SLIGHTLY MELTED on one side. My first assessment was that this Philips bulb burns hotter than a regular motorcycle bulb. I started my bike again and the headlight came on just fine. I gave a sigh of relief and saw my friend off on his way to Sturgis.

For about 12 days, the bulb performed just fine and I thought that the problem had fixed itself. I was getting ready for my 300-mile ride to Vegas, when the bulb went out again just before I got home to finish packing. My auto mechanic friend confirmed my initial assessment: Bulbs that burn hotter than the OEM bulb can cause problems. I repeated the same procedure of taking out the bulb, inspecting, and re-installing. The bulb began to work just fine again. The plastic part of the harness looked just the same as it did before: slightly melted on one side. I noticed no fresh signs. On the way to Vegas at night, it happened again. This time I pulled over, pulled out the Philips bulb and installed the old PIAA bulb that I kept in my tank bag. Although I couldn't see as far with the low beam, I made it to Vegas safely. I didn't have any problems again until two weeks later, when the bike wouldn't start. (Go back to the beginning of this story.) Are these two problems related?

Today, I will take the bike for a long ride to see if the problem replicates and if the water in the battery disappears again. Wish me luck

Have you had these problems before? How do I fix them? I hope it isn't the voltage regulator again, as I don’t have a lot of cash to buy another one and have it installed. Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by ZephyrNewYork; 08-30-2014, 04:26 PM. Reason: more concise verbage
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
    '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Check your alternator output, over charging will boil off the fluid as will high ambient temps.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks. How many volts is considered over-charging though? The Service Manual doesn't state a max voltage.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Check your alternator output, over charging will boil off the fluid as will high ambient temps.
      "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

Comment

14.5v max
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          14.5v max
          Thanks. This morning, when I metered at the battery posts, I got "14.89 V at idle and 14.93 V when I twist the throttle a little". I'll try again at the alternator though. If 14.5 V is considered the max, it isn't looking good...

Comment

There is a wire that feeds to the alternator regulator that if it doesn't feed the correct battery voltage to it (lower), it will cause the alternator to overcharge the battery. I believe it's the orange one, can't remember, yip schematic shows the orange wire.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

If it does in fact meter just less than 15 V at the alternator, should I just replace the voltage regulator?

Comment

Check the orange wire going to the regulator, it should read exact battery voltage, if it reads lower, that's your problem. Find where the voltage is dropping. There is a mod for this.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                X