X

Failure to Start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to Start

So to give a bit of background of what the problem is I'll give the entire scenario. So I have a 2003 katana 600 and I needed to replace the chain on my bike, decided I would just replace the sprockets while I was it. I accidentaly cut the chain off before the front sprocket came off. After fumbling around for a few hours with the chain we got the sprocket off. I have a california edition of the bike so there is an external fan that needed to be disconnected from the sprocket cover thus leaving an exposed wire. During the process of removing the sprocket the guy I was working with brought a wrench up and accidentaly touched the alternator which caused an arc (didn't disconnect the battery , yeah I know) Later on we attempted to turn the electric system to the bike on which resulted in nothing. No lights or electric current flowing as of right now. What I'm thinking may have happened was that the touching of the alternator may have grounded the bike out to itself. Several individuals I was speaking with suggested I check the harness and wires, I was suggested to check the computer as well. Just wondering if anyone would have some suggestions as to where to start.

Anyone who has a 1998-2006 katana I'll photo-copy a factory service manual and email it to you for any help provided. For incentive hehe
    Last edited by judstirber; 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Main fuse (30 amp)
    I'm not farmiliar with this year of 600 kat but guess its the same as others & located on the starter solenoid
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Sounds like you blew one of the main fuses - which is on the starter solenoid. You can check the Katana wiki for a copy of the manual.
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

How much would a main fuse generally run someone?

Comment

Auto Zone or Advance Auto sells a pack of 5 for a few dollars. They are the standard ATO blade fuses - in fact on my 06 750, there is a spare on the opposite side of the solenoid - perhaps you have a spare on yours as well? - Just don't short it out too!
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Begin of work

So I got the 30 watt fuse blades for the starter solenoid and had ordered the factory service manual, unfortunately it hasn't gotten here yet. would you guys know where the starter solenoid is located?

Comment

nevermind, found it. one of two problems solved

Comment

does the starter solenoid for a '91 GSX750F have the same said fuse? I am having the same problem as OP, but the solenoid I pulled didn't have any fuses on it.

similar to this one.

Saw the fuse box underneath the seat BUT...couldn't find where the main fuse was located in the manual, first time bike owner.
                Last edited by Hittman; 08-19-2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Pre-kats are vastly different from the more recent models. The starter relays comparing a 2003 600 kat to a 91 750 kat look nothing alike. Many changes were made between those years so most of the model specific advice on this thread probably won't help you out. Here is the link to a cheap service manual for the year and cc of your bike http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/437. If your looking to fix something/ do something to your bike I strongly recommend you purchase a service manual for your bike. It will walk you through everything you need to know, only reason I'm floundering about is because Haynes doesn't make a manual for my bike.

Comment

OK...so the PDF service manuals from this site aren't a good source?

Comment

welll

Yeah never knew there were manuals on here., Haynes never made a manual for '03 katanas so I had ordered a factory service manual.

Comment

Working...
                      X