GPI Problems....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPI Problems....

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
    I pulled my neutral / gear indicator switch and it has mounting holes 50mm apart and 36mm diameter where it inserts into the case.

There may be many older (early to mid 80's suzuki's) that had gear indicators with interchangeable neutral / gear indicator switches... I'm doing some research now...

It looks like the GS 1100/1150 part will bolt on (thanks Astro) but I'd like to check GS 550/650/750/850 parts too.
    At least a neutral switch from 1982 GS 650 wont fit. It's too small.. Bought it and allready changed the blug in it, and not until then decided to check if it fitts, what it doesnt, so no return possibility anymore
    Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
    - Custom turbo build
    - On going forever project...
    +Suzuki SV1000S -03 for road
    +Suzuki GSX-R 600 k6 for track

Originally posted by IhmeJanneFIN View Post
    At least a neutral switch from 1982 GS 650 wont fit. It's too small.. Bought it and allready changed the blug in it, and not until then decided to check if it fitts, what it doesnt, so no return possibility anymore
    The P/N your looking for is 37720-24A01

Originally posted by WebDevDan View Post
    So it is sorry about that.

I'd love to see a nixie tube version but I don't think a nixie would hold up well to all the vibration.
    No worries.. if you interested in one let me know...
    Last edited by GSXFJim; 02-17-2012, 12:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
      The P/N your looking for is 37720-24A01
      I have that smaller switch, (37720-45100 probably), so is there any way to add plastic around it to make its diameter 36mm. It's diameter is now 26mm, so +5mm all around the whole thing. My question is, could I do some plastic welding to add diameter or glue some sort of plastic/metal ring on it, or is this a doomed idea..

Ps. Don't have budget to buy a new one (~60$) and haven't found a cheap right one in ebay.
      Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
      - Custom turbo build

Comment

That would be a terrible idea IhmeJanneFIN. It would never work!
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I have that smaller switch, (37720-45100 probably), so is there any way to add plastic around it to make its diameter 36mm. It's diameter is now 26mm, so +5mm all around the whole thing. My question is, could I do some plastic welding to add diameter or glue some sort of plastic/metal ring on it, or is this a doomed idea..

Ps. Don't have budget to buy a new one (~60$) and haven't found a cheap right one in ebay.
          Doomed idea. Gotta buy the right part for this one.

Comment

Call it a loss, put it on ebay and try and get some of your $ back then purchase the correct part.
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Dammit!

Well, gotta keep searching for the right part..
              Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
              - Custom turbo build

Comment

Dammit!

Well, gotta keep searching for the right part..
                Again.. The P/N your looking for is 37720-24A01

very few pop up on ebay.. just search a few sites to find the best deal and buy it.
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

So, I bought the wrong neutral switch to my bike (not the P/N 37720-24A01), it was too small and was told it cannot be fitted to my bike (-94 Suzuki GSX 750 F, or Katana in some places).
                  Well, we have this thing called "SISU" back here in Finland. It means roughly transferred that you have guts, but in much much more quantity. (it might also be stupidity, who knows )
                  Anyhow, this is how I made myself a spacer to fit my "wrong" neutral switch..

On the left, neutral switch from a -82 GS650, and right one stock neutral switch from -94 GSX 750 F..

A bit small as you can see, gotta make a spacer for it..

Material is 2mm thick aluminium, might be too thin though, time will tell..

Rough sketch..

And we have a hole where to fit the switch..

Outline sketch..

Rough cut.. (mounting holes didn't hit just right..)

On the block..

Almost finished..

And it fits

But still needed some modification to be done..

How a bout that, seems to fit ok

Some heat resistant siliconeglue..

And vóila..

I have now put piece on the bike with some more of that heat resistant siliconeglue inbetween the block and spacer, but haven't let oil touch it yeat. Gonna let it dry overnight for sure before doing that. I also tested with ohmmeter and every gear is found
                  Tomorrow I will see if it holds oil in and if it does, time will tell how long (hopefully till end of wold )

What do you think guys? Pure madness/stupidity or something else?
                  Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
                  - Custom turbo build

Comment

If it works like that on your final test, go back and make a simple additional adjustment.

Use 2 "spacers" on the exposed thread sections to help prevent over tighting and cracking/breaking the little bit of plastic you have for the puck. You want the washer to clamp the puck, but your current setup leaves it very open to easily vibrating loose, or cracking/breaking stuff. (similiar spacers are used on the coils for the bike btw... )

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nicely done! I would have thought that you wouldn't get contact with the added spacer in there but you said it seems to work so...
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Oh, one other thing... how are you going to make a good oil seal on that location? The OEM part has the O-ring that seats inside, but... I guess you will need to make a gasket. Not sure how the surface is on that for that point as it wasn't designed originally for the gasket but in the pic it looks clean and flat....

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          If it works like that on your final test, go back and make a simple additional adjustment.

Use 2 "spacers" on the exposed thread sections to help prevent over tighting and cracking/breaking the little bit of plastic you have for the puck. You want the washer to clamp the puck, but your current setup leaves it very open to easily vibrating loose, or cracking/breaking stuff. (similiar spacers are used on the coils for the bike btw... )

Krey
                          That's great idea, but I got another kind of idea how to make sure it stays on.. Hopefully I have enough material left..

Oh, one other thing... how are you going to make a good oil seal on that location? The OEM part has the O-ring that seats inside, but... I guess you will need to make a gasket. Not sure how the surface is on that for that point as it wasn't designed originally for the gasket but in the pic it looks clean and flat....

Krey
                          There was a small section of flat surface around the whole thing and I also put a lot of silicone in the groove where o-ring goes, so when I putted the spacer on it touched quite much the spacer which then seales it, hopefully..

Originally Posted by Wild-Bill
                          Nicely done! I would have thought that you wouldn't get contact with the added spacer in there but you said it seems to work so...
                          I just lenghtened the spring a little bit.. Contacts are only about 2mm more outside than with stock neutral switch..
                          Last edited by IhmeJanneFIN; 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM. Reason: Added pic to lighten things..
                          Suzuki GSX 750 F -94
                          - Custom turbo build

Comment

IhmeJanneFIN, for some reason I thought of this cartoon when I was admiring your handy work.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                            2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                            1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                            1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Has it been confirmed working yet? I'm concerned about the different diameters of the two parts, and how the ball will contact the pads, if at all. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X