X

Light "Kill Switch"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
    Dood, you need to be really careful where you splice into that wire. Not only does it ground the lights, but also your Horn, Fuel gauge, and your CDI box. Kill the wrong spot and then your bike won't run.
    This is why I've decided to post about it, where would the best place to be to splice? I'll be tearing down the bike again tomorrow to look around, but somewhere after the lights but before everything else would be awesome, I have a feeling its not going to be that easy though

Comment

TO be honest I have no idea. I have never had a harness for a Kat stripped down like that to see where all the wires go in and out of the loom. But you're right, it's not going to be easy. Going to have to carefully trace wires before you cut and splice.

Comment

I did some searching around the forums earlier, and got mixed results, and with no definitive answer. If I ever get around to it, I'll update everyone on what I'm doing, I have all the wiring diagrams for all the 750 model katana's around the world, euro spec bikes have a light switch, so I'm going to look into integrating one of my own

Comment

Yeah, but the reason manufacturers don't include one here is that Federal Law prohibits it. There is a reason that no bike in the states has had a light switch for over 30 years. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            Yeah, but the reason manufacturers don't include one here is that Federal Law prohibits it. There is a reason that no bike in the states has had a light switch for over 30 years. Just sayin.
            Yes, I am aware of this, just like most federal law has noise violations, and frown on jet kits because of emissions. This is the way I feel like building my bike, and its a feature I happen to want in it

Comment

I don't open up carbs or look for EPA caps when I am out looking to make some stops. No headlight and I will because I know better because I ride, and you should too.
              Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

A simple on/off headlights switch shouldn't be an issue. I have been running one on my bike for the past month or so.

As for the ground, it ties into the harness right under the tank. There are a few things in that area that tie in at the same spot, although I can't remember them. Once you open the harness you will see everything, just don't put the switch where it kills the ground to anything other than the light.

Comment

If you splice the switch in right by the headlight plug, before the wire joins to anything else you'll be fine. The big issue is to find a way to make sure you're not riding without the headlight; to dummy-proof the thing. Maybe go with a lighted switch?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    If you splice the switch in right by the headlight plug, before the wire joins to anything else you'll be fine. The big issue is to find a way to make sure you're not riding without the headlight; to dummy-proof the thing. Maybe go with a lighted switch?
                    I was looking into a light rocker switch, something small and convenient to flip, and still pretty visible. Good thinking Wild Bill

Comment

Originally posted by LongboarderScott View Post
                      I was looking into a light rocker switch, something small and convenient to flip, and still pretty visible. Good thinking Wild Bill
                      just make sure you ground the switch out good the idiot who owned the bike before me had a hidden switch that i didn't know about until some of my wires melted but it is unsafe to shut the lights while driving..but i did it to my bike and it helped when late at night when warming my bike up it wasnt shining into the houses across from me but i removed it along time ago

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Great idea on the lighted switch. I have forgotten to turn mine on a few times and think about it a few miles down the road. But thats only if I havnt rode in a week or so

Comment

I was actually looking to do the same thing with a rocker switch.

I only run the headlights on my car when its dusk/dark....why run my bike lights at noon (YES, I realize it is federally mandated...it's also "illegal" to go 1mph over the speed limit...sooo..)?

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                            I was actually looking to do the same thing with a rocker switch.

I only run the headlights on my car when its dusk/dark....why run my bike lights at noon (YES, I realize it is federally mandated...it's also "illegal" to go 1mph over the speed limit...sooo..)?
                            Um, so people can see you? The profile of a bike is so much smaller than a car that for safety reasons, they mandated the headlights be on. I mean, it's your life and all, but the more visible you are the better.

Comment

Yep..and "loud pipes save lives".

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                                Yep..and "loud pipes save lives".

No, they don't. But the headlights are a different story. Like I said, your life.

Comment

Working...
                                X