X

Light "Kill Switch"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light "Kill Switch"

I'm drawing up plans on a grounding switch for my lights, to turn them all off when I flip a switch, but I'm somewhat of a noob at wiring and I don't want to fry anything....Anyways....please offer advice and correct my mistakes prior to electrical failures I'm about to have, hahah

-I have a 1994 Katana 750 (U.S)

The B/W Wire seems to be the common ground for the headlights and tailights, along with speedo, tach and various other lights that come on once I turn the key to the on position. I'm looking to control when I can turn these lights on and off, so I figured a relay and switch between that B/W wire and ground would work. Here is my Diagram

Ummm... Why on earth would you want to turn OFF your headlight?! It helps cagers see you (sometimes) which keeps you alive. Riding without a headlight really isn't a good idea.

If you're sane and just thinking of saving power while working on the bike, you want to put the switch on the black/white wire. Just a simple in/off switch would work but so would installing a pair of connectors somewhere easy to access.
    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Looks right, but I've been drinking.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Bill: would I be able to use this switch while the bike is running?

Scotty: Re-Confirm that when you sober up if you can, please and thanks

Comment

OK, what part of "keeps cagers from killing you" wasn't clear? If you're working on it then it's OK to disable the light to conserve battery power. If the bike's rolling, the headlight needs to be on. Really dude, you do want to live, right?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            OK, what part of "keeps cagers from killing you" wasn't clear? If you're working on it then it's OK to disable the light to conserve battery power. If the bike's rolling, the headlight needs to be on. Really dude, you do want to live, right?
            Maybe I'm just envious that the Europeans get to control their lights, and I don't

Comment

Envy...Death

Let's see...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

don't most or all states require the lights to be on while on the roads?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                  don't most or all states require the lights to be on while on the roads?
                  I didn't say I needed to be on a road, just need a switch to be operational while the bike is running.

Comment

OK, for this you don't need a relay. Go with a switch. They're more reliable. Cost less, too.

Just cut the B/W wire and splice in wires leading to the switch.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

OK, for this you don't need a relay. Go with a switch. They're more reliable. Cost less, too.

Just cut the B/W wire and splice in wires leading to the switch.
                      Much appreciated Bill, that's all I need for my project

Comment

No problem. Just don't die on us now, ya hear?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No problem. Just don't die on us now, ya hear?
                          Yes sir, no problem sir

Comment

Gotta run from the po po! They'd have to be on foot not to catch you
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Dood, you need to be really careful where you splice into that wire. Not only does it ground the lights, but also your Horn, Fuel gauge, and your CDI box. Kill the wrong spot and then your bike won't run.

Comment

Working...
                              X