X

HID upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numus View Post
    Did you look at the bulbs linked? Unlike most of the HID lights i see on the market these do not allow light to escape from the top... This forces the light to only be subject to the reflector.. As long as the distances from the reflector doesn't change (in respect to both the base and the sides) then the light path is identical to that of the stock H4 bulb...

That is why I asked has anyone every tried this style of HID...
    Yes, I looked at them. No, they wont be any better. Buy them if you want, but without a projector housing you do not have HIDs, just really bright poorly focused bulbs, you cant get around that.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      Yes, I looked at them. No, they wont be any better. Buy them if you want, but without a projector housing you do not have HIDs, just really bright poorly focused bulbs, you cant get around that.
      After almost getting nailed on the bike the other night I am looking for something to let people know that i am there.

Here is the short story..
      Left my lab at 6:30 the other night.. Approach an intersection that has a dead light (no street lights, no traffic light... pretty damn dark)... I wait with another person at the light (treating it like a 4 way stop due to state law) then we both proceed to make a left (2 left turn lanes) while some A** cager barrels thru the interstion going straight at 60+ mph...
      Since then trying to figure out how to increase the light that my headlight is producing cause the stock bulbs aren't that bright in the end...

Comment

No matter how bright your lights are or how loud your exhaust is always assume you are invisible, day or night...
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

After almost getting nailed on the bike the other night I am looking for something to let people know that i am there.

Here is the short story..
          Left my lab at 6:30 the other night.. Approach an intersection that has a dead light (no street lights, no traffic light... pretty damn dark)... I wait with another person at the light (treating it like a 4 way stop due to state law) then we both proceed to make a left (2 left turn lanes) while some A** cager barrels thru the interstion going straight at 60+ mph...
          Since then trying to figure out how to increase the light that my headlight is producing cause the stock bulbs aren't that bright in the end...
          Yes, brighter headlights will overrule cagers' ignorance...sure.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

without a projector housing you do not have HIDs, just really bright poorly focused bulbs, you cant get around that.
            I disagree with this. Having HID bulbs in reflector housings and now in a projector for the rider the reflective housing was the way to go. YOu go more light amplified over the entire footprint desired. I adjusted the Kat so that it was not aimed up to hit the car in front of me unless I wanted to swerve to do so and hit their side mirror. I saw the road perfectly and it was like driving in day light.

I am now with a projector in my 675 and it is night and day difference. Albeit I only have one headlight bulb on now and it is a different bike BUT the reflector housing made the HIDs much better IMO. My night driving has cut down some due to this...

Scatter in the Kat is a bit thrown out of whack on here as well. Having actually done it I can say it does not throw the light as badly as some say. I was never flashed with them though I did focus them down and had a slight lip on the headlight housing to stop the light lifting up so much. Cars and trucks are a lot worse with their scattering due to how the light housing are aimed vs a bike. They are normally wider and as such throw the light a lot more then a bike does.
            I am a Penn State fanatic.
            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
              I disagree with this. Having HID bulbs in reflector housings and now in a projector for the rider the reflective housing was the way to go. YOu go more light amplified over the entire footprint desired. I adjusted the Kat so that it was not aimed up to hit the car in front of me unless I wanted to swerve to do so and hit their side mirror. I saw the road perfectly and it was like driving in day light.

I am now with a projector in my 675 and it is night and day difference. Albeit I only have one headlight bulb on now and it is a different bike BUT the reflector housing made the HIDs much better IMO. My night driving has cut down some due to this...

Scatter in the Kat is a bit thrown out of whack on here as well. Having actually done it I can say it does not throw the light as badly as some say. I was never flashed with them though I did focus them down and had a slight lip on the headlight housing to stop the light lifting up so much. Cars and trucks are a lot worse with their scattering due to how the light housing are aimed vs a bike. They are normally wider and as such throw the light a lot more then a bike does.
              You know I respect your opinion Andy, but having had both setups you will never catch me again with HID bulbs in a halogen reflector housing. The light pattern was embarassingly scattered and offered nothing more than extra glare. Sure it was brighter in spots, but others were much more dim due to the crap distribution.

How many cars with HIDs roll out of the factory with reflector housings?

An illustration to show what I mean...and I dont wanna hear any bitching about the diff temps making such a drastic change...

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.
              Last edited by scottynoface; 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

You know I respect your opinion Andy, but having had both setups you will never catch me again with HID bulbs in a halogen reflector housing. The light pattern was embarassingly scattered and offered nothing more than extra glare. Sure it was brighter in spots, but others were much more dim due to the crap distribution.

How many cars with HIDs roll out of the factory with reflector housings?
                Was it a car that you had HIDs in with the crappy output? Again apple and oranges when speaking to bikes which is what many fail to realize. I have seen the shoddy light output from cars/trucks but fairly rare from sport bikes due to the different layout and design of the headlight housing.

I believe there have been only 2 vehicles that rolled out with HIDs without projectors BUT that is not a fair arguement either since then you are going down the regulation route since there are regulations surrounding light output and what the govt allows for vehicles.

Comment

Was it a car that you had HIDs in with the crappy output? Again apple and oranges when speaking to bikes which is what many fail to realize. I have seen the shoddy light output from cars/trucks but fairly rare from sport bikes due to the different layout and design of the headlight housing.

I believe there have been only 2 vehicles that rolled out with HIDs without projectors BUT that is not a fair arguement either since then you are going down the regulation route since there are regulations surrounding light output and what the govt allows for vehicles.
                  No, it was in my Ninja. I have one side of my spare headlight with a projector from my Altima (had to replace the whole light and kept it for parts) mounted in, and it absolutely blows away the poor light distribution when compared to what it was in the stock headlight reflector.

You can say it works, but so does a 2006 Gix1k header on a Katana

Comment

I know nothing about headers or such so I have no idea if that last line was a backhand insult or not...

Well the question was for a Kat and I did it in a Kat and the HID was as if you were driving in the daytime. So many issues start to play with a reflector housing that in most cases it does not work properly for HIDs. The Kat happens to have the right shallow shape to not diffuse the light all over the place nor have dead spots. I do not know what my 675 would do without a projector but its not like I will try. Instead I will be rewiring it to run dual lamp to have more light output.

People can argue with it all they want. I dont really care. But unlike many arguing about it I actually did it and have pictures showing lack of deadspots in the light output as well as the light cut offs on the side so that it is not scattering as badly as people make it out as.

The thing that bothers me most about these threads is that people think they can just swap in the bulb and be done with it. The wiring of the Kat is not meant for the initial firing of the ballast and as such not only should a wire relay harness be used but so should a light toggle switch so that the lights are not flickering as the bike tries to turnover.

Comment

So does this:

The thing that bothers me most about these threads is that people think they can just swap in the bulb and be done with it.
                      Amen
                      Last edited by arsenic; 12-12-2011, 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The thing that bothers me most about these threads is that people think they can just swap in the bulb and be done with it. The wiring of the Kat is not meant for the initial firing of the ballast and as such not only should a wire relay harness be used but so should a light toggle switch so that the lights are not flickering as the bike tries to turnover.
                        Yuuuup.

Comment

Please clarify.. Wouldn't the initial fire be before you even attempt to turn the bike over (insert key and put to on)? Then it drops rapidly to maintance voltage so how would the drop in voltage due to the starter really effect the HID in this way...

Honestly wondering cause I am looking it possibly going this route (or i may just get silverstar ultras and be done with it).

To answer questions thrown at me earlier... No I do not expect this to be a magic "They can see me now"... But after every close attempt that happens in Tallahassee, FL while I am on the bike I try to find a way to make myself more visible... Sometimes it is just changing my riding habits (only riding in right lane and hugging the shoulder in certain roads and sometimes it is physical modifications to try to get me more visible...
                          Last edited by numus; 12-12-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I know nothing about headers or such so I have no idea if that last line was a backhand insult or not...

Well the question was for a Kat and I did it in a Kat and the HID was as if you were driving in the daytime. So many issues start to play with a reflector housing that in most cases it does not work properly for HIDs. The Kat happens to have the right shallow shape to not diffuse the light all over the place nor have dead spots. I do not know what my 675 would do without a projector but its not like I will try. Instead I will be rewiring it to run dual lamp to have more light output.

People can argue with it all they want. I dont really care. But unlike many arguing about it I actually did it and have pictures showing lack of deadspots in the light output as well as the light cut offs on the side so that it is not scattering as badly as people make it out as.

Also every bike will be different. The Daytona throws crappy lighting compared to what the sprint throws. And the first Gen sprint headlights were horrible too.

Mine right now with the SilverStars can light up reflective signs in the day time...
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Please clarify.. Wouldn't the initial fire be before you even attempt to turn the bike over (insert key and put to on)? Then it drops rapidly to maintance voltage so how would the drop in voltage due to the starter really effect the HID in this way...

Honestly wondering cause I am looking it possibly going this route (or i may just get silverstar ultras and be done with it).
                              When you turn the key yes the ballast fires. But when you push the starter to start the bike the headlight is quickly toggled on and off as the bike is trying to start. This can at worst kill the ballast but normally just lowers the life of the bulb. This constant firing of the ballast is also a HUGE draw on the battery. You have to remember that a 35W ballast will run once fired at 35W but when firing up will draw up to 5 times that much and as such takes a serious toll on your battery and wiring harness.

Melted wires and such are not unheard of especially in GSXr as kids try the switch.

If you go the HID route then get a relay harness and toggle switch to save yourself potential headaches.

Comment

When you turn the key yes the ballast fires. But when you push the starter to start the bike the headlight is quickly toggled on and off as the bike is trying to start. This can at worst kill the ballast but normally just lowers the life of the bulb. This constant firing of the ballast is also a HUGE draw on the battery. You have to remember that a 35W ballast will run once fired at 35W but when firing up will draw up to 5 times that much and as such takes a serious toll on your battery and wiring harness.

Melted wires and such are not unheard of especially in GSXr as kids try the switch.

If you go the HID route then get a relay harness and toggle switch to save yourself potential headaches.
                                Makes sense.. I didn't realize the Katana has this toggle on the lights when the bike is started...
                                Coming from a GS500E (that i had to rebuild a lot of the electrical system) the headlight is a direct connection thru the key and doesn't toggle upon starting... You will notice a dimming due to voltage drop, but that is the beauty of a ballast that has an operational voltage range less then the voltage drop due to the starter solenoid...

Comment

Working...
                                X