Seeking Interest - Pre98 LED signals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Interest - Pre98 LED signals

Hey All,

I'm thinking of making up some plug-and-play LED signal boards for the Pre 98's.
    • Basically, they'd be little circuit boards that would fit right into your stock signal housings
    • They would connect to the stock light-bulb socket just like a regular bulb does now.
    • Built in compensation for the bulb draw (you won't need to do the "resistor mod" as with other LED bulb replacements)

Here's what I'm thinking for a blink pattern:

P.S. If somebody could host this gif for me, that would be great! It's just on my little home NAS box right now - not sure how my ISP is going to like this..

I was also going to make up a little external "signal reverser" board that would plug into the free 12V plugs up by the signals, and turn your signals into running lights (when they're not blinking). This way you're not cutting up your harness, or trying to run a 3rd wire into each signal stalk.

Might look something like this when they're in running light mode:

or

I'm thinking I could make these for about $40 for a set of 2 boards.
    Maybe $70 for a complete set of 4 boards. (2 amber for the front, 2 red for the rear)

Reverser boards for the running lights would probably be about $15 each. (one board would do the front 2 signals, or the rear 2 signals).

Is there any (serious) interest in this?
    And, by serious I mean if I make these, and they match the promises above and look as good as anything aftermarket, you WILL BUY these.
    I really don't want to get stuck with a bunch of boards and parts with nobody to take them... Obviously not asking for a legal commitment here (especially not until the prototypes are even made or seen!) but I'm hoping for a bit of a gentleman's agreement with those interested parties

Also, even if there isn't enough interest in this to justify a mass PCB and parts order, the first person who will mold and send me clear signal lens replacements will get a complete set of 4 signal boards, and 2 reverser boards.

see:

*PM me on this last one if you're game.
    Last edited by MrBrant; 03-20-2011, 03:48 PM. Reason: Edited to define "serious" :)

Totally interested

Comment

I have no use for them, but that is a cool idea and I think the would do well. I like the first running light pattern better.

Comment

I've seen clear lenses for the pre, you wouldnt have to mold them

nevermind ,their not available anymore. I would be interested if we could get a source for the clear lenses. without the lenses i wouldnt do it.
        Last edited by diesel; 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
          I've seen clear lenses for the pre, you wouldnt have to mold them

nevermind ,their not available anymore
          You wouldn't happen to remember where you saw these, would you?
          I've never come across any.

Thanks!

Comment

SweeT!!.. HMMMMMM
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I dislike the stock signals, but I would dislike them less if they were nifty LED. Sorry, I won't be a customer for my bike, but I hope you get enough interest so they are available. Tim and I have a few bikes between us and no telling what we going to do down the line.
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

mr brant, they used to have them at targa-acc.com. but i looked through the entire site and looks like they don't have them anymore. At one time you could search katana 750 or whatever and there were about 25 pages of stuff . I did notice the website is different now, and they don't list the Kat ,but do have some parts. Sorry getting off track a bit. On another note, i really like your ideas, but i think this might be too costly for most people. Your setup would be about 100.00 plus shipping, plus cost of lenses. Don't get me wrong, I know your lights would be better than ones you can buy elsewhere.
                Last edited by diesel; 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I put this up here before ordering a bunch of parts.

I think some interest is there, but I'm not sure how many people would be will find it worth it to shell our their hard-earned $$$$!

Anyway - keep the feedback coming!

Free-lights-in-exchange-for-clear-lenses offer will be open regardless! (I will be making a set of these for my bike anyway)

Comment

Good Luck! I will keep my eyes open for the clear lenses.

Update: I have found the clear lenses.
                    Last edited by diesel; 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

An R1 led integrated tail light is essentially plug and play... Only thing needed is a variable load relay as with any other led turn signal.

Where have you found clear lenses diesel?? I would be interested in that.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Clear kits for the post Kats...

I'd don't know if the lens are the same pre/post.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I believe the pre's are different. The shape is a bit off...

Comment

@ mrbrant .let me know when you need them and i will order.

Comment

Working...
                            X