X

Question for the HID gurus

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the HID gurus

OK, so I'm finally started on my projector retrofit. I picked up a 3" Bosch projector from flea-bay and a used headlight housing from the same source. I get the projector in and start tearing it down to get rid of all teh extra bits (like the auto-levelling gear, etc.) and then start looking at bulb/ballast kits. That's when I realize that D1S bulbs (which this projector is set up for) are EXPENSIVE! So I scratch my head a bit and realize that the box that holds the bulb base comes off, leaving a round base on the reflector with slots for a retaining ring.

Question is: can I install a D2S bulb using a retaining ring like this:

on this:
    (See attachment)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 09-16-2010, 08:29 AM.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

bump

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The bulbs will fit fine inside, and you can use whatever you want to hold them in...but that box on the end of the bulb is the actual ignitor. So you'll have to buy a compatable D2 ballast with the ignitor built in. If you don't care about going high quality, etc. etc. you could just get a set off DDM and get an adaptor for the ballast -> bulb connection.

edit: If you buy a kit from them and select D2S, the adaptors come with the set.
      edit #2: I got curious and looked, ddm sells d1s bulbs for 50$ a pair...
      Last edited by indianboy7; 09-17-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I've been looking very closely at DDM and with the comments I've seen about them I'm not too worried about their quality.
        They have the complete 55W D2S kit for $40 (for motorcycles). They list D1S replacement bulbs for $47.50 a pair but don't list a D1S ballast. With the ignitor issue and my low level of HID knowledge I'm pretty nervous about the whole business.
        You say I can use whatever I want to hold a D2S bulb in. Is the retaining ring a standardized thing?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

bump

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

pathetic bump

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Wish I could help you out Bill. I'm going to ask some of the guys over in the car forum I got to. A couple of guys have done retrofits on their car headlights. They might be able to help.
                We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

Thanks Dan! I was about ready to give up and just head to the junkyard (whenever I can find some time!) to start trying parts out and see what fits. I may still do this but it'd sure help to know what I'm looking for.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Well I asked over in the car forum and one guy said the following:

"As far as D1S bulbs - they are not dramatically different in price than quality D2S bulbs.

As far as making a bulb work for a projector that it was not intended for, it is up to his retro skills. Tell him to keep in mind that the bulb alignment may not be setup as well though and we will need a way of making that work correctly and hold position when mounted."
                    We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was out of town for a few days. What I meant was you can use a screw, tape, or fabricate a clip to hold the d2 bulb in. Most applications I've seen use a wire clip to hold the bulb in. The DDM D1 bulbs will use their standard ballast (I think). They're really helpful there, so shoot them an email or call them. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to hook you up. Personally, I would just use the D1 bulb to reduce headaches....

Comment

Working...
                      X