No announcement yet.
X

R1 LED Integrated tail light mod.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning! Mine came loose in the lens and it broke some of the solder point on the board. I opened it up and re-solder the 3 wires that came of and I used small wood screws to attach it to the housing. There are already holes on the circuit board so I used screws about the diameter of the holes and about 1/2" long. I know some people just set it in and it doesn't move but it takes like 2 minutes to screw it in... With re-soldering it probably took me 10 minutes to fix but I'm glad I noticed it before I was rolling invisible at night...
    95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
    ---
    I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
      Warning! Mine came loose in the lens and it broke some of the solder point on the board. I opened it up and re-solder the 3 wires that came of and I used small wood screws to attach it to the housing. There are already holes on the circuit board so I used screws about the diameter of the holes and about 1/2" long. I know some people just set it in and it doesn't move but it takes like 2 minutes to screw it in... With re-soldering it probably took me 10 minutes to fix but I'm glad I noticed it before I was rolling invisible at night...
      I guess I didnt repost when mine fell.

I had a guy pull up behind me and tell me I didnt have any tail lights, so I took the lens off and found the lens had fallen down where it wasnt visable. I glued it back in place.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I should probably try to mount mine a little sturdier as well...
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well with all ur guys input on the mod and do's and don't I should do alright.I just need some good weather and a days off work.

Comment

Aw man, it takes two seconds. I havent secured mine yet tho. May employ a glue gun. Still working on mounting some white leds facing down to light the tag. When I get around to doing some more work on the tail I'll secure the break light. I'm still very pleased with the mod tho.

My wife was following me in our cage at night and she said the running/break light was almost too bright. During the day it isn't as bright, but they were just as bright as the stock running/break light. My wife said if someone doesn't see the break light (as it is now), then they wouldn't see the stock one.
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            Current project: Un-Katchable
            sigpic

Comment

Well I'm glad i read up on this a little more, I just ordered mine about a week ago and still waiting for it, But as soon as it gets here ill know how to keep it in place.
              1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

Well i just got mine today, will be installing sometime this week.

sigpic

Comment

BTW, if anyone had some questioning about the wiring as the OP didn't help me out with which color wire went to which (No Offense OP) i just did the mod on my pre today and have some help for you.

When you pull the guts out of the R1 tail, you will need to pop the wires out of the plastic clip and reuse the one off your old tail light. From the R1 to your wire harness Black will of course go to Black, Red will go to Brown, and Green will go to White. The two Yellow wires will go to the straight Black turn signal wires.

This is a vid of what it looks like installed, You can actually hear the flasher click

Sorry i didnt take more pics while i was doing the wires, Im working in a small *** room and just wanted it done.
                  Last edited by 6Kat; 03-18-2011, 12:22 AM.

sigpic

Comment

how did you mount led board in light housing?

Comment

Personally I screwed through the board where your 2 lense holes are on either side. The with it staying put like that, used a hot glue gun to attach it at those 2 screw points. Gave the glue a couple seconds to cool, then removed the screws, reattached the lense and screws. Here in a min I'll take some pics if you need.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

nevermind I got it thats **** looks to awsome!

Comment

Heres a few pics...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm thinking of doing this but had a question. What are you guys doing, if anything, to cover the holes in the fairing for the signals? I have small surface mounts there already but was just curious.

Thanks,

DLW
                            1994 Black Kat 600

Comment

I plastic welded mine. Do a search for fairing repair or poke around the bodywork section and you'll figure it out.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Can't wait until I can do an integrated tail light for my post 98 750. Might just make my own board to fit. But its an awesome mod. I'm jealous
                                R.I.P. Adam Horak. Loved and never forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                                X