Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

ignition problem cly 1,4 dont fire cdi? or generator?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problem cly 1,4 dont fire cdi? or generator?

ONLY FIRES on CYLINDER 2,3

I was at a stop light when the KAT died I tried starting it on PRI with no luck, I bump started it it sounded funny like half the cylinders were firing. I took the plastic off and the generator cover followed testing process, plugs, coil, signal generator, everything looks in spec. I cant test the CDI.

I have a 1989 Kat I have checked the plugs good spark on 2,3 funny spark on 1,4. I checked the impediance on the spark plug wires, I get within spec, I check the impediance on the input side of coils I get within spec, I check the signal generator no short on coils checks good on spec. I am guessing its the CDI, I changed the plugs still same issue only only 2,3 fire no 1, and 4. All parts are OEM , I dont want to buy after market unless I have to, The Dyna set is $400.00+ for signal generator and CDI,

HELP I MISS MY KAT :0(

Any advise?
    Attached Files

If 2 & 3 are working fine I doubt it's the CDI at fault. Make sure the other coil is getting power and verify the wiring between that coil and the CDI box. If you have a multimeter with a audible continuity setting it should beep intermittently when testing for continuity between the 2&3 coil wire (non orange) and ground. It should at least, I haven't tried this method but in theory it should be the easiest way to test it.

To test for sure if its the CDI, swap the coil trigger wires between the two coils and check for spark then. Make sure to unplug the rest of the spark plugs since the plugs would then be firing in the wrong order, and thats not likely to do anything good for your engine.
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

recheck the left hand coil, and all associated wiring and connections back to the CDI and/or ground. Arsenic has posted the ohm values for both sides of the coil in here somewhere not long ago. think it was maybe the "bike in a box" thread?
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

My bet: wires.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Swap coils and see if your once dead coil sparks, that will eliminate or confirm coil as the problem.

Comment

Coil. Use the test GregS posted -- if that's it, jgmann67 has a coil for sale cheap that will work.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X