X

Neutral Light On

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Light On

My wife got caught in the rain last week on the '05 600 Kat. Seems since then the neutral light stays on no matter what gear. Did a search on here and saw some issues with the neutral switch inside the front sprocket cover. But no one really confirmed that was the issue.

I'll mess with it one night this week. Anyone have this problem before? All shifting is fine. First start up of bike light goes out when shift in gear. Within a few minutes the light goes on and stays on.

jim

It's either the switch or the wires. No other possibilities.
    The fact that it changes after the engine warms up would imply it might be insulation that's in bad shape getting soft enough to let a signal through.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I also had a problem with my neutral switch a while ago. After the bike warmed up, it would just go out and stay out. After bike cooled, it would come on with start-up and go off again when warmed up. My switch was shot and I noticed the wire to the switch was not routed perfect and was touching a hot surface. Alot of the insulation was melted away and some wire exposed. Either way, it was not too expensive and not too hard of a repair. Good Luck!!

Comment

the wire runs from the light to the neutral switch. if it is shorted anywhere along it's length the light will stay on. of course the switch itself could still be bad, you can check it with an ohm meter. just put the meter on the switch lead, ground the other lead to the motor, if it shows no resistance in anything other than neutral, it's the switch.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Question........My neutral light stays on no matter what. With just the key on, running, or while riding. Guess I need to check the wiring and the switch itself. The guy I bought it from said he thinks the light is burnt out? ??? If its burnt out dont that mean it wont light up? DUH! Kinda makes it a fun ride when you stop and wonder if your in "N" or not. I dont think it will pass my state inspection either!

Was also wondering how you get the "dash" (i guess that what its called) apart to change bulbs. I dont see any screws to remove it.

Ok.......thats all for now! Thanks for any help
          <<<<< Ninja riders as I go by!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gsx8u View Post
            Question........My neutral light stays on no matter what. With just the key on, running, or while riding. Guess I need to check the wiring and the switch itself. The guy I bought it from said he thinks the light is burnt out? ??? If its burnt out dont that mean it wont light up? DUH! Kinda makes it a fun ride when you stop and wonder if your in "N" or not. I dont think it will pass my state inspection either!
            Wiring failure -- probably intentionally miswired to let them start the bike with the sidestand down without pulling in the clutch...

Originally posted by gsx8u View Post
            Was also wondering how you get the "dash" (i guess that what its called) apart to change bulbs. I dont see any screws to remove it.
            Year, model?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got my Haynes manual today. Im gonna check the wiring first. Then move to the neutral switch.

My bike is a 2001 GSX750 Kat
              <<<<< Ninja riders as I go by!!!!!

Comment

Buddys 05 has some issues also
                He started it the other day , neutral light on , let out clutch and it was in gear
                Guessing the 05 's have a sensor issue
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                  Buddys 05 has some issues also
                  He started it the other day , neutral light on , let out clutch and it was in gear
                  Guessing the 05 's have a sensor issue
                  If you feel that it's a wide-spread issue with the '05 specifically, and not just damages from his dropping or otherwise mishandling the bike, file a complaint here:

These complaints get combined with hundreds or thousands of others to form the basis of NHTSA (government-mandated) recalls.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the same problem. it stays on all the time, no matter what. mine is a 99'.

any ideas?
                    "We are not limited by our abilities. Only by our vision."

-Unknown.

1998 GSX600F Katana

All stock except paint (Hazard "school bus" orange)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newdude View Post
                      I have the same problem. it stays on all the time, no matter what. mine is a 99'.

any ideas?
                      Um, yeah... It's broke and need fixed.

Seriously, the above thread pretty much covers all the possibilities... At this point it's up to you to examine and eliminate those possibilities until you find the issue.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                        It's either the switch or the wires. No other possibilities.
                        The fact that it changes after the engine warms up would imply it might be insulation that's in bad shape getting soft enough to let a signal through.
                        Originally posted by mx916 View Post
                        I also had a problem with my neutral switch a while ago. After the bike warmed up, it would just go out and stay out. After bike cooled, it would come on with start-up and go off again when warmed up. My switch was shot and I noticed the wire to the switch was not routed perfect and was touching a hot surface. Alot of the insulation was melted away and some wire exposed. Either way, it was not too expensive and not too hard of a repair. Good Luck!!
                        Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        the wire runs from the light to the neutral switch. if it is shorted anywhere along it's length the light will stay on. of course the switch itself could still be bad, you can check it with an ohm meter. just put the meter on the switch lead, ground the other lead to the motor, if it shows no resistance in anything other than neutral, it's the switch.
                        Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                        Wiring failure -- probably intentionally miswired to let them start the bike with the sidestand down without pulling in the clutch...
                        Originally posted by newdude View Post
                        any ideas?
                        Really?

Comment

ok thanks
                          "We are not limited by our abilities. Only by our vision."

-Unknown.

1998 GSX600F Katana

All stock except paint (Hazard "school bus" orange)

sigpic

Comment

Krey is a faster shot than me..

Comment

How exactly do you fix it? My bike neutral light just started coming on and staying on. Anyone do like a DIY?

Comment

Working...
                              X