No announcement yet.
X

Battery Drain Question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't take long to drain a battery- they only hold about a pint of fluid, turn 'em upside down with all six plugs out, they drain in about 20 seconds...
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
      Doesn't take long to drain a battery- they only hold about a pint of fluid, turn 'em upside down with all six plugs out, they drain in about 20 seconds...

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
        Originally posted by albuKat View Post

Yeah , not the 98+ batteries .
        The fuel gauge sucks power ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I dont think he ment on our Pre 98's MD, the 93 definately not, I've checked mine for voltage leaks when I was having an overcharge issue, was having a serious draw only with the key on, Eventually found the connector for the ignition was cooked. But with the key off, theres no drain. Unless you put the iggy into "park" mode, then it will turn on the rear lamp on ours, and in my case.. all the LEDs I have on the bike.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

No , when Stevie mentiond the "turn it upside down" part . 98+ batteries are sealed .

Comment

I'm curious, the battery CP mentions, is that good for the Pre as well as the 98+ or just the 98+?

Comment

Apparently the 98+ sealed battery puts out LESS CCA's than the pre old-style battery . I'll take more CCA's at the expense of having to check the water level of my battery every once in a while ....

Comment

Well according to their site, things vary a lot more.The YTX14AHL-BS was recommended for the pre 98's Check their site here for the reference pages on it http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.asp

Some batteries are taller than others and some have reverse polarity. Need to see whats avalabile for your model... Check their site. This doesnt go without saying you couldn't fit a chevy 350 battery with a shoehorn into your bike either. The maker knows what fits best to match "Stock" and I qoute that... Stock sizing.. doesn't mean you can not fit something taller let alone sealed.
                  Last edited by Newbie2it; 02-10-2008, 03:55 AM.
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Pre-98 Kat 600 takes a YB10L-B2, which is 135mm x 90mm x 145mm and has the positive terminal on the right side. As far as I know, there's no suitable upgrade for it.

The pre-98 Kat 750 OEM was a YB14L-B2, which is 134mm x 89mm x 166mm and has the positive on the right. There's a maint-free upgrade available (recommended by Yuasa) as the YTX14AHL-BS, which has the same dimensions & terminal placement, but less aH capacity. The maint-free model may have more CCA's inspite of having a lower total Ah capacity, but I wouldn't bet on it (the fiberglass matts let them pack the plates in tighter without fear of touching; more plate area typically equals more CCA's available).

You can quickly grasp the differences in charge/power for the different basic types of batteries Yuasa offers here:

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X