X

New Bike, Crappy Battery.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike, Crappy Battery.

The other day I left the parking lights on for about 20 or 30 minutes while at a friends house. When I went outside the bike obviously wouldn't start. I had my friend let me use his battery charger and after a couple of minutes on that it started right up. I rode home, about 20 minutes away, and shut the bike off and went inside. 10 minutes later I went to check on her and she wouldn't start. This happened to me before when I'd only had the bike for about 2 weeks, but after one time charging it I hadnt had a problem since then. Is there a wrong way to charge a bike? Do I need a new battery or does this happened to everyone? BTW I have an '06 Kat 600.
    "It is not the Way of the Warrior to be shamed and avoid death even under circumstances that are not particularly important"

Torii Mototada

I had the same problem with mine when I first bought it. I just bought a new battery from walmart. Problem solved.
    sigpic

Comment

Leave it on a charger overnight (such as battery tender, $20.00 Walmart, ride it for a solid hour or purchase a new battery.

Good luck.
      2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
      2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
      2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
      2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

When was the last time you checked the fluid level in the battery?? Poor/low liquid levels will cause it to not hold a charge. It will also cause premature battery failure due to shorting out the cells and plates within. If the levels are low, you can buy battery acid or add Distilled water. Dont use tap water as minerals in the water will screw the battery even more. Distilled water is avalible at most pharmacy's and lots of other places and only costs about a buck or two for a gallon.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I don't do that much, but I have left my parking lights on for over an hour while I was in a meeting one day. my bike started without a problem though. you have probably done it to many times by now and need a new battery
          myspace
          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I can't say that I have ever used the parking lights....hmm...
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              When was the last time you checked the fluid level in the battery?? Poor/low liquid levels will cause it to not hold a charge. It will also cause premature battery failure due to shorting out the cells and plates within. If the levels are low, you can buy battery acid or add Distilled water. Dont use tap water as minerals in the water will screw the battery even more. Distilled water is avalible at most pharmacy's and lots of other places and only costs about a buck or two for a gallon.
              with a 98+ battery, it's sealed you can't add water, it's only pre 98 you can do that BTW, I'm awesome!
              Okay, I'm done with that
              Last edited by arsenic; 12-14-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

You might want to try getting a "trickle" charger and letting that sit on it for awhile. I just got one from Walmart tonight for under $20.
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                  I can't say that I have ever used the parking lights....hmm...
                  Yeah me too. Parking lights? New one on me...
                  It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

if you turn the key past "lock" thats the parking lights.

Comment

I knew it had them, but I just can't picture a situation when I would ever use them. I just have never felt that a situation required turning them on i guess.

Oh well..
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

I haven't used the parking lights intentionally, just sometimes when I hop off the bike and turn the key to lock, I'll accidentally turn it to far without noticing. I pay more attention to it now.
                        myspace
                        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
                          I haven't used the parking lights intentionally, just sometimes when I hop off the bike and turn the key to lock, I'll accidentally turn it to far without noticing. I pay more attention to it now.

In a couple years it will likely not move as easily and the problem should go away
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                            I knew it had them, but I just can't picture a situation when I would ever use them. I just have never felt that a situation required turning them on i guess.
                            Stop on the side of I-4 at 2AM to check something and you'll understand why the parking lights option is there. Esp. if it's foggy out.

Meanwhile, here's the question no one asked: is the bike still under the manufacturer warrantee? If so, have the dealer replace the battery.

General rules:
                            Each time you fully discharge the battery to the point it won't start the bike, you've permanently removed about 25-40% of it's long term storage capacity. Do it too often and it simply won't hold a charge any more.
                            You can test the battery to see if it's good by charging it using a motorcycle charger (car chargers generally put out way too much power and will overheat the battery, even on their lowest setting); after charging it full, check the voltage between the poles with a volt-meter. Needs to be 12.7 or above (if not, replace the battery). Set it aside without connecting it to the terminals in the bike, and remeasure 12 hours later -- if the number is lower than the first time you measured it, replace the battery.
                            The biggest capacity battery that will readily fit into your make/model is a Yuasa YTZ14S, which is the same dimensions left-to-right and front-to-back, but about 5mm taller. It has 50% more capacity and almost double the cold-starting power.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              Stop on the side of I-4 at 2AM to check something and you'll understand why the parking lights option is there. Esp. if it's foggy out.
                              I would be using the hazard lights too then.
                              myspace
                              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                              X