X

Gas Gauge stopped working

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Gauge stopped working

A few days I took the bike out for a spin and romped on the throttle pretty hard and the gas gauge fell below E. I'm not sure if its an electrical problem, or if its a problem with the float. Thought I would ask you guys and see what ya'll thought.

The needle doesn't move at all.
    Jealousy Is Natural

Simple things first.

The sender in the tank connects to the harness on the right side of the engine. On the pres it connects fairly far down, near the rear brake switch. Check that first, it might have popped loose.

Then while checking get a multi meter and read resistance at the connection (disconnected) slosh the tank to get the float to move and see if the resistance changes.

Then I would check for voltage at the gauge.

Comment

+1 on everything BP said

Comment

On the 98+, the pigtail for the sender connects at the right-rear edge of the airbox. Open it and clean it. If that doesn't resolve it, the next connector to check is the 20-pin connector leading to the dash (it's hidden behind the fairing, above the headlights).

Doh! And I forgot the other thing -- check your fuel state! It's possible that you have a leak you didn't notice and the gauge is actually reading true!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

When my float FELL OFF , the gauge will still show a LITTLE fuel left . Didn't drop TOTALLY is what I'm saying . If it's past the red , probably the wiring somewhere and not the float .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You should also check the ground wire at the sender. It was a very loose fit on mine and worked its way off in 2500 miles.

Comment

Or just bend a coathanger or other wire and move the float up and down while watching the fuel gauge. It will tell you if the sending unit/float assembly is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
                Or just bend a coathanger or other wire and move the float up and down while watching the fuel gauge. It will tell you if the sending unit/float assembly is bad.
                I would avoid that.. Bending the wire connecting the float to the sender will result in the gauge never reading right again... Molesting the float by any means other that sloshing the tank could bend the wire.

Comment

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, one of the 2 connectors on the underside of the gas tank came off. Put it back on and problem solved.
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    On the 98+, the pigtail for the sender connects at the right-rear edge of the airbox. Open it and clean it. If that doesn't resolve it, the next connector to check is the 20-pin connector leading to the dash (it's hidden behind the fairing, above the headlights).

Doh! And I forgot the other thing -- check your fuel state! It's possible that you have a leak you didn't notice and the gauge is actually reading true!

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Thats what i thought right when it happend, but i wouldn't be typing this today if that was the case cause i had 3/4 of a tank at the time, that ammount of fuel all at once under the back tire would have resulted in some major slippage.

Anyone got a schematic of the gas gauge wiring? So I know exactly what to look for and not mess with the wrong wire.
                    Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sweet, thanks Cyber
                        Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Working...
                        X