Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

need HELP to get and install higher rear spring!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need HELP to get and install higher rear spring!!!

MY CUSTOM 2003 KATANA 600 NEEDS A BIGGER REAR SPRING TO STOP FROM HITTING MY TAIL HUGGER AND UNDERTAIL WHERE CAN I GET ONE AND WITCH ONE

I am curious to see this answer myself. My problem is that my tire keeps hitting my undertail and leaving rubber in a semi-circle on it. I was told that I can re-adjust my preload and this will cure it, but I am skeptical. Instead of a spring, I think there are dogbones that will adjust the height of the rear, but I will leave this question up to the experts, as this is only what I've "heard". I have a 99 Kat btw.
    Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

Comment

cough caps caplock cough

Don't change the spring swap in different dog bones to raise the tail.
      Kyle

Comment

take it to a shop to put it in a stand. they'll compress the spring and take the split rings out. measure the spring rate & then sell you one that has a higher rate. a good spring is like $100.

i'd see if cyberpoet still has any ohlins left.

tim

Comment

ummmmm??????

SO dogbone or shop and spring? or both
          Attached Files

Comment

Either..

Depends on what you really need.
            Dogbones won't change the spring rate much
            they will just jack up the rear.
            Stronger spring will make for a stiffer ride.
            However as Tim said that spring may be a better match
            anyway..

Comment

and continued.................

well like i was saying i have the problem of the rear tire hitting my undertail kit and its not a cheap paint job so dogbones would be better? if so where can i buy them?????? IM desperate

Comment

PM me, i have what you need.
                Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Dog bones fixed mine. Yet riding two up I needed a new spring. Ohlins is the one I have. No problems at all.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

i don't want to rag on you but let me state this ( if it's not obvious )

you need a properly set up shock - with the correct spring rate for proper sag and your riding style. after that if your still hitting your hugger - raise the rear with shorter dogbones. just raising the rear with a crappy rear shock might have you tossing the bike with more than the hugger to worry about. ride safe.

remember your turn in is going to be quicker after you raise the rear - take it easy until you get used to it.

tim

Comment

thank you for the information and i set my shock to the highest level and it still hits im going to try the dogbones

Comment

so a shorter dogbone will raise the rear, AHHH duh forgot where the dogbone was. *hits self* What increment is recommended, also, if i raise the rear is it necessary or just advisable to upgrade to an ohlin's?

Comment

Originally posted by redkat06
                          so a shorter dogbone will raise the rear, AHHH duh forgot where the dogbone was. *hits self* What increment is recommended, also, if i raise the rear is it necessary or just advisable to upgrade to an ohlin's?
                          Bottom line:

Your bike should never bottom out. When it does, it's because there is too much weight on the rear for the current shock's settings (or the shock's spring is weak with age, or the interior is defective). For more than 90% of riders, setting the rear shock correctly (search for static sag) will cure this issue.

The Kats is designed for a maximum cargo load of about 480 lbs (GVWR minus wet-weight = max cargo load). If you are exceeding this weight limit, your bike is not safe and it's more than just the shock at that point (other issues, such as frame strength, tire weight/load ratings, bearing capacities, etc. are now coming into play). Get the weight down however you have to (remove passenger, diet, etc).

Somewhere in the twilight zone between about 300 ( ) and 480lbs is a point where the standard shock & spring combo simply isn't up to snuff any more. This is where you seek a stronger spring replacement or a complete replacement shock that can be tailored to your heavier total cargo load weight. Ohlins will custom-build a solution for you to spec -- and then without surcharge keep revising it indefinitely until you are content as long as you test the static sag settings & send it back for adjustment (as verses to riding on it, damaging it & sending it back -- in which case it's $100 fee).

Dogbones (rear suspension links) are designed to provide a specific attitude for the rider in terms of seating, by altering rear ride height. It's a solution for riders whose inseams are too short or too long to be comfy on the stock bike, but it will not correct for shocks that aren't doing their job.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

how much do the ohlins run? And how do i go about gettin one built or buy one already built?

Comment

Originally posted by redkat06
                              how much do the ohlins run? And how do i go about gettin one built or buy one already built?
                              A custom built ohlin for your bike would run about $800 delivered, and take 3 to 6 weeks to arrive at your doorstep, coming from the factory in Sweden thru me (you don't have to deal with import duties, customs, etc).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X