X

1991 Katana rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Katana rebuild

Anyone familiar with a 1991 750 Katana? I have one that I am about to finish rebuilding... anyway its a California model and has a "canister" under the left rear fairing. I have no idea what this thing does but appears to be connected to the fuel system. I wanted some input before I go messing with something I am not familiar with. I know I can take it to a mechanic... but I have done all the restoration/rebuild to this bike myself and would like to finish it on my own for accomplishment reasons. Any input would be appreciated.

Although it is officially illegal to tamper with the pollution control stuff on California models in such a way as to disable it, most riders do if they own the bike long enough, because (among other things) it makes diagnoising problems much simpler by removing some complexity from the equation.

The cannister you are talking about is a charcoal cannister and it's purpose is to hold fuel between the time the bike shuts down and when it starts again, just as charcoal cannisters do in cars that had carbs from 1974 on (i.e. - when the EPA started requiring sealed gas tanks & stricter pollution controls).

It's a bit complicated to explain, and I highly recommend you get a manual to get the complete routing correct if you plan on reinstalling it. If you plan on obsoleting the California emissions equipment, the cannister and pair valve (and all the lines for them) get removed; the vent ports under each exhaust header port get sealed up, and the rest of the configuration uses the same set-up as the standard 49-state bike (one line from the petcock to the right side of the right-most carb to provde vacuum, plus caps on all the sync ports and over the former vent ports the pollution control equip connected to on the carbs). Additionally, the extra after-run fan that blows across the carbs after shutdown also gets removed.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

De-Californize that biatch!

Comment

What exactly is your question/problem ? I recently de-Californianized a Katana , and it takes some doing , but nothing terrible ...
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

CyberPoet answered my question exactly. I'm in Wyoming where our emissions controls are no where near the current resrictions in CA and I doubt this bike will ever be in CA during the remainder of its life. Thanks for the info regarding the fan, here at 7,000 + ft sea level it rearely gets hot enough to require a fan to cool the carbs and that POS would run until it drained my battery so I'm oustin' it. Thanks for the input all.

Comment

Working...
          X