Fuel leak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel leak?

Hi all!

I've searched the forums, but haven't been able to find much directly relating...
    After winter storage (with full gas tank to avoid corrosion) I've started up my 1998 Kat 600 again, to find it running great. BUT....
    After riding I put it on the sidestand and 2 days later it appears there was a fluid leak running down the side, coming out of the petcock-hole. I'm pretty sure it's gas (smell + location), but I haven't been able to diagnose further, as I've had to store it up in at a friends' due to a small snowshower. I put it on centerstand to see if I can avoid the problem.

It appears there's no difference whether the petcock is in the ON or RES position (still leaking).

Anybody have some preliminary ideas before I start disassembly? I've heard of the notorious petcock problems, but also considered a stuck floater???
    Now: 1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R
    Before: 1998 Suzuki GSX-600F/Katana

If it's coming from the petcock , it ain't a float problem . Could be time for a rebuild , or the gasket is done . Just gotta figure out which it is .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Turn out the lights

Get a flash light

Shine the flashlightat the tank

Turn off flashlight

Light a match and find the leak in the tank

here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
      http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

It's a '98. If you haven't replaced your fuel lines yet (should be done every 4 years), you ought to replace them as well. As for finding the leak: take a paper towel and wipe a little. When it comes away wet, you've found the source. Given what you posted, I'm suspecting either a fuel line fitting when it was still running or the petcock itself after it shut off...

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had the same problem with mine a few summers ago. Turned out the petcock needed a rebuild. I just ordered a rebuilt one from Special K, and sent him my old one. You may be able to buy a rebuild kit yourself, and do it yourself. Not sure how handy you are.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Still unsolved:
            I've located the leak - it's the petcock.
            After wiping it down, I wiggle the "turndial", and fuel starts moisting the area just behind the dial. I'm not sure if I need to replace the entire petcock (~$220), or get a small rebuild-kit (basically a set of o-rings, clips, and other small pieces - $15)???
            I know a lot of you have rebuilt the petcock, any of you recognize the leak and the solution?

Comment

i never had any problems with this before but i'm assuming the rebuild kit will come with everything that you need to fix the cock. mainly just gaskets like everyone else said.

Comment

... and is it just me that can't find the "fuel petcock rebuild kits" for 98+ Katanas???

Comment

Well im sure your locale stealership should have one or maybe you can luck out on ebay. pm special k and ask him if he has an extra petcock or can have one rebuilt for you

Comment

Originally posted by skovsen
                    ... and is it just me that can't find the "fuel petcock rebuild kits" for 98+ Katanas???
                    I think it's an aftermarket part or a collection of specific Suzuki parts bundled together.

As far as I know, BraadaJim got all of SpecialK's inventory, so send a PM to BraadaJim and ask him if he has the parts.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok was gona suggest bikebandit.com as almost all of the petcocks are under 100$ brand new. But for some reason they dont list a 98 Kat maybe one of the other years will fit 97, 99 I would think one would be the same if they are 99 new is like 85$ and 97 new is 80$

Comment

You don't need a new petcock, you just need to replace the seals and stuff on the inside.

Contact Braada Jim, see if he has the rebuild kits, or hell, see if he has a rebuilt one. You send him your old one, he sends you the new one, and rebuilds the old one. Thats how Keith used to do it. Worked good for me when I had a leaky petcock.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Talked to the dealer, importer, asked BraadaJim.

Apparently a kit with the new seals doesn't exist for the 98+ Katana (although they have it for the pre98).
                          Only replacement is the O-ring at the very top (between the tank and petcock) and it looks to me like it's not where the leak is..
                          My other option is a new petcock for $200...

I've googled and haven't been able to find anything.
                          Anybody have any suggestions before I spend money I don't have???

Comment

Did you ask Braada Jim of he had a old petcock he could sell you? Otherwise I would tear the petcock down, and pull out all the o-rings and what not, and hit the hardware store.

You may also want to send a Email to Special K, and see if he knows where you can get the aprts for a rebuild, as he used to rebuild them. I say Email him because he checks that more than he does his private messages on here.

Also, try ebay to see if you can get another petcock.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                            X