X

broken rockers at idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken rockers at idle

The fuel shut off was found on PRIME, motorcycle started hard followed in a few minutes by tapping sound

I removed valve cover to find 2 broken rockers on cylinder 1 and 1 rocker broken on cylinder 4. These were all on cam closest to rear of engine. I also noted strong gas smell as I removed valve cover.

I am assuming cylinders were full of gas and rocker gave way while trying to open valves

Can I get by replacing just broken rockers?

Thanks for any help.

as lomg as no valves were bent you can. might want to do a compression and leakdown test before you go any farther.

Comment

The bad news: I would guess that the valves bent a bit before the tappets gave.
      The good news: valves aren't all that expensive in the bigger picture for this bike.

Unfortunately, you may have also done a number on your cams and the bearings for them, because of the amount of stress they were trying to stand up to. As a result, I highly recommend checking the run-out at the cams and replacing the cam bearings when you go in to do the repair.

Other stuff:
      (A) Don't start the engine before you change all the oil and put some into each cylinder.
      (B) Don't hook up the carbs again before you get the carb float fixed in the cylinder with the issues.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Unfortunately, you may have also done a number on your cams and the bearings for them, because of the amount of stress they were trying to stand up to. As a result, I highly recommend checking the run-out at the cams and replacing the cam bearings when you go in to do the repair.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

hi guys NEWS FLASH there are no cam bearings in any oil cooled suzuki motor ive ever taking apart the cam actually run in the aluminum yoke granted its heat treated to wear longer but if you bent a bunch of valve train parts like that you need to check the cam cap towers for cracks and deforming the upper part can be replaced the lower part replace the head.

Comment

Better check the bottom end too.
          Damaged con rods, bearings maybe rings too

Comment

Valves seem straight but the keepers were knocked off of two of the valve springs. I have the air fittings from my compression tester to hold valves up but I can't find a valve spring compressor small enough to compress springs with head on.

I am thankful for any help or ideas to compress springs

Comment

If you can lay your hands on the Suzuki factory service manual, they have a specialty tool listed in the back as a valve compressor complete with the Suzuki part number. You might also want to try the aftermarket version at www.motionpro.com

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I took my head up to Auto Zone and borrowed their compressor . Worked just fine . They'll rent tools .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X