• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI compatability?

Heyas!

Subject engine: 1990 GSXR 750
    Subject bike: 1990 GSX 600 F Katana

Question regarding the CDI for the GSXR engine - How interchangable are the different year models for the CDI?

I checked out RonAyers, and it basically says (after checking each year model) that the CDI for the 1990 also works on the 1988,1989,1991,and 1992 models also. Part # provided was 32900-17D00

However! When perusing ebay for availability, there are other part #'s provided, namely 32900-17C00 and 32900-17E00. Explained year compatability on eBay is Sketchy at best.

So, How interchangable are the CDI's with other year models engines of the same type (air/oil, GSXR) and displacement (750cc)?

Thanks,
    Grimmy
    Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Generally, you can get a decent spark at close to the right time out of any of the 600 & 750 oil-cooled Suzuki CDi's from the same era...
    What you want to watch out for is possible problems using a CDi intended specifically for a long-stroke (narrower bore) 750 engine called a sling-shot engine that Suzuki fielded in the very early 90's, because I would expect the spark timing to be significantly different (or visa-versa -- using a 600 CDi in the slingshot 750).
    In theory, any timing discrepancies could be made up for by changing the signal generator advance (BTDC), but I doubt you want to dig that deep and tinker that much...

Have you tried sending a PM to BraadaJim? I'm pretty sure he'll have a CDI for you that will match your intended purpose.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      Generally, you can get a decent spark at close to the right time out of any of the 600 & 750 oil-cooled Suzuki CDi's from the same era...
      What you want to watch out for is possible problems using a CDi intended specifically for a long-stroke (narrower bore) 750 engine called a sling-shot engine that Suzuki fielded in the very early 90's, because I would expect the spark timing to be significantly different (or visa-versa -- using a 600 CDi in the slingshot 750).
      In theory, any timing discrepancies could be made up for by changing the signal generator advance (BTDC), but I doubt you want to dig that deep and tinker that much...

Have you tried sending a PM to BraadaJim? I'm pretty sure he'll have a CDI for you that will match your intended purpose.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      I am aware of the slingshot engine - that is the '88 variety, which is what brought my attention to this CDI compatability issue - as I thought about the bore and stroke issue, and the firing issues related to it.

I am thinking about doing the poor man's Timing advancer, once I book some dyno time, or even just buying an advancer. I like the poor mans version more, as it allows for even 1 degree alterations, rather than a 5 degree static.

I am no stranger to mechanics, and I have already been in half the covers on this engine already, including having to swap out the '86 or '87 signal generator that was present on this '90 engine. I have no issues going back under that cover and playing with it.

I got the bike running (idle only, stock 600 carbs) last night too, so I know all the wiring is good.

-Grimmy
      Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

Working...
      X