X

Welding / electrics Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding / electrics Question

Need to weld on my fairing support, I'd LIKE to do it with it in place.
    My limited experince in the auto world has shown me sometimes just
    disconnecting the battery is NOT enough to prevent system damage.
    (mig welder).

Can any of the guru's on here tell me what I need to do to make sure that I don't fry anything ?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm
    It is possible you could create an EMP..

I think pulling the ignition module and disconnecting the battery would be enough..

Cyber?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      Hmmm

I think pulling the ignition module and disconnecting the battery would be enough..
      works for me everytime i weldl on a bike

Comment

Cyber?
        Well, a couple things come to mind... First of all, the welds (and the metal you expose to weld to) will need to be coated to prevent them from rusting like the dickens. Powder-coating is the usual method after welding, if you want to take it back to factory-like status, in which case you're stripping the bike apart anyway so the frame can be powder-coated (because powdercoating involves placing the frame in an oven after application).

But, if you were to weld in place, here's what I would do:
        Disconnect the battery, and pull the pigtails at the CDi and the dash (plus at the TPS on the 98+ Kats). I'd pull the CDi and the coils to be on the safe side... if not, lay plastic wrap atop aluminum foil, and with the plastic facing inwards, wrap the CDI and anything else you don't want picking up the EMF... The aluminum foil should act as a faraday cage to catch the EMF, and the plastic will keep it from being transmitted into any contacts underneath by contact.

The thing you really want to do is put the welding machine physically as far away from the bike as possible, because almost all the EMF will be coming from the welding machine -- not the head of the welder.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

most welding supply shops sell a "tool" that connects to your battery and it is made to stop that problem
          here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
          http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            The thing you really want to do is put the welding machine physically as far away from the bike as possible, because almost all the EMF will be coming from the welding machine -- not the head of the welder.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Very good point!!

Comment

you could simply ground the bike.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                you could simply ground the bike.

tim
                That won't protect it from EMP or EMF

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                  Hmmm

works for me everytime i weldl on a bike
                  Same here. Works on cars too. Disconnect Battery and unplug ECU.

-Grimmy
                  Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

When I did my subframe repair last week, the battery was disconnected, as was the CDI. The harness was still attached to the bike, though it wasn't connected to much.

We also repaired a couple small spots on a 2005 ZX10 with GTAW, and I don't think there were any problems - we just yoinked the battery and unplugged all the ECU connections.
                    FrankenKat 1216
                    GS Fiter 816
                    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Make sure you have a good ground and that it's as close to the area you are welding as possible. You shouldn't have any issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X