No announcement yet.
X

Brighton, Mi carb tuning needed!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding PVC to pods filters doesn't really help with back pressure. It make the incoming air less turbulent entering the carbs. Instead of entering from a 45 degree angle, the PVC extensions give the air a little room the straighten out. With Katana's and CV carbs it's really not going to make a damn bit of a difference. Now with flatslide carbs, it works fine. I have a little bit of idea what I'm talking about DREAM Katana - Fuel & Intake

Comment

Originally posted by weegand View Post
      fair enough, but say someone wants to use pod filters because of say aesthetic reasons, it'd be possible to get the same amount of backpressure by doing what was mentioned earlier with pvc or something, right? guarenteed im gonna have him throw his stock airbox on for a bit to see the difference, but for the type of look he's going for on his bike he'll want to keep the pods if possible.

assuming that he tuned his carbs right, the only problem would be that loss of backpressure on the pods then right? because again, he's not looking for 110% of the stock performance, he's just trying to get a decent cruise to get his bike on the road this season
      Okay, I'll talk for a second in a non-condescending tone (as your post irritates me a little).

Here's the history of pods: Race applications.

Now, why are they on bikes nowadays? Two reasons: somebody lost the airbox and thought pods was an easy solution. Two: ignorance.
      If pod filters were so great, the factory would've just used them instead of paying a team of engineers to spend months designing a fucking airbox. And, worth noting is that they paid engineers to design airboxes even on single-cylinder bikes with slide carbs before emissions standards existed.
      The "pvc" mod I spoke of involves using the airbox boot sleeves, attaching those to a pvc coupling, then attaching that to the pods. However, that's contingent on space. This setup mocks a smoother airflow that the airbox provides.

Addressing your last response, it's basically this: listen to the veterans on the site, and you'll have a good-running bike (as-long as nothing gets fucked-up). Don't listen to them, and ignorantly assume everything, everyone is saying is just for shits & giggles, and I'll assume we'll see that bike on CL . . .
      Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 07-25-2015, 04:46 PM.
      '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

A Katana street fighter just looks like a Katana without fairings. Trust me, it'll look just as shitty with the air box.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Looks don't mean shit, dude. That's all superficial. bike looks cool, runs like shit or only good for short rides due to crappy mileage. I'll take function over looks any day. Some have even put sleeves over the filters just to get them to work somewhat decent. I've spent a lot of money trying to get pods tuned on my bike and it was never perfect. I'll stick to the air box.
          looks are just as important as performance i think, sure a super fast bike is nice but it could be even better if it looked as sexy as it performed, right?. but you do have a point about a shit performance as a bad tradeoff for less clultter. why do pods work on some bikes, but not others? because they're running flatslides?

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Adding PVC to pods filters doesn't really help with back pressure. It make the incoming air less turbulent entering the carbs. Instead of entering from a 45 degree angle, the PVC extensions give the air a little room the straighten out. With Katana's and CV carbs it's really not going to make a damn bit of a difference. Now with flatslide carbs, it works fine. I have a little bit of idea what I'm talking about DREAM Katana - Fuel & Intake
          i dont think you know jack shit about what you're talking about! kidding, all this info is nice to hear. honestly before this i thought people whining about not using the stock airbox were just old guys that like doing resto jobs, so now i feel pretty dumb seeing how obvious it is for the stock airbox being necessary on this bike. gonna keep digging through that website, some great stuff there.

A Katana street fighter just looks like a Katana without fairings. Trust me, it'll look just as shitty with the air box.
          my bro actually chopped the old sub and welded on a new one, and has a new seat fairing, it definitely doesnt look like the type of streetfighter that i see on here haha
          Last edited by weegand; 07-25-2015, 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

looks are just as important as performance i think, sure a super fast bike is nice but it could be even better if it looked as sexy as it performed, right?.
            This right here is why Harely Davidson sells motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              Okay, I'll talk for a second in a non-condescending tone (as your post irritates me a little).

Now, why are they on bikes nowadays? Two reasons: somebody lost the airbox and thought pods was an easy solution. Two: ignorance.
              If pod filters were so great, the factory would've just used them instead of paying a team of engineers to spend months designing a fucking airbox. And, worth noting is that they paid engineers to design airboxes even on single-cylinder bikes with slide carbs before emissions standards existed.
              The "pvc" mod I spoke of involves using the airbox boot sleeves, attaching those to a pvc coupling, then attaching that to the pods. However, that's contingent on space. This setup mocks a smoother airflow that the airbox provides.

Addressing your last response, it's basically this: listen to the veterans on the site, and you'll have a good-running bike (as-long as nothing gets fucked-up). Don't listen to them, and ignorantly assume everything, everyone is saying is just for shits & giggles, and I'll assume we'll see that bike on CL . . .
              I like this dude....:big thumb
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post

yeah i apologize for any stupid things i say, this is all new stuff to me and probably seems like common general knowledge to yall and maybe it is for everyone but i still dont know a loooot of things about performance. I'm down to listen to advice from vets on here, and i like that yall are answering my questions without being assholes, im sure it gets pretty annoying to be educating newbs sometimes

This right here is why Harely Davidson sells motorcycles.
                shitty looking bikes, shitty performance?
                Last edited by weegand; 07-25-2015, 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

When you're 55 they won't look shitty anymore. Since performance doesn't matter, save the time and buy one now.

Comment

yeah i apologize for any stupid things i say, this is all new stuff to me and probably seems like common general knowledge to yall and maybe it is for everyone but i still dont know a loooot of things about performance. I'm down to listen to advice from vets on here, and i like that yall are answering my questions without being assholes, im sure it gets pretty annoying to be educating newbs ALL THE TIME.

Fixed that for ya..
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

When you're 55 they won't look shitty anymore. Since performance doesn't matter, save the time and buy one now.
                      haha fair enough, my problem right now is that im in design school right out of high school, so i can draw and make shit but i dont know jack about performance. I am pretty interested in doing an actual performance build in the near future though, either that or just get a decent stock bike and just keep up on the maintenance for a bit.

Fixed that for ya..
                      ah yes, thank you. it is hard getting into the game as a beginner though, dont really know where to start or what to look for!

Comment

Well, after my early pod fuck around, I really started doing research on everything I do on the bike. If it doesn't yield any gains in function or distracts from function, IE extended swing arm or super wide tire. I don't do it. If the mod fills the requirements, I research how to do it properly, so I don't have to do it over. And waste money. Some mods are for looks and function, like the GSXR headlight mod, better light and better looks. I took a lot of measurements to ensure it would fit in the Kat stay and fit the space in the fairing area.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Well, after my early pod fuck around, I really started doing research on everything I do on the bike. If it doesn't yield any gains in function or distracts from function, IE extended swing arm or super wide tire. I don't do it. If the mod fills the requirements, I research how to do it properly, so I don't have to do it over. And waste money. Some mods are for looks and function, like the GSXR headlight mod, better light and better looks. I took a lot of measurements to ensure it would fit in the Kat stay and fit the space in the fairing area.

makes sense, thats some solid advice

Comment

Working...
                          X