X

Brighton, Mi carb tuning needed!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighton, Mi carb tuning needed!

anyone near Brighton, MI (48114) have some expertise in carb tuning, specifically for a 96 750? its got pod filters, and straightpipe exhaust. Bro wants to get his bike on the road asap and if someone on here would be willing to get it done for a decent price then that would be great, figured i'd ask on here to give you guys a little extra business before i hand it off to some local mechanic that charges an arm and a leg!

Stop right there. With pod filters, no amount of "tuning" is going to help. It will run like dog shit as long as those are installed. Is "staightpipe exhaust" code for some hacked up shit your brother custom made in the back yard?
    Last edited by arsenic; 07-24-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Yea, those are stone age mods.
      Mankind has come a long ways since then.
      You guys are gonna have to do more reading about how to tweak an engine. Just bolting on stuff, that's not engineering.

When I clicked your location, it gave me Brighton England>HA!
      I was wondering how come you sounded American.
      Last edited by buffalobill; 07-25-2015, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by weegand View Post
        anyone near Brighton, MI (48114) have some expertise in carb tuning, specifically for a 96 750? its got pod filters, and straightpipe exhaust. Bro wants to get his bike on the road asap and if someone on here would be willing to get it done for a decent price then that would be great, figured i'd ask on here to give you guys a little extra business before i hand it off to some local mechanic that charges an arm and a leg!
        Lol, ur 30 minutes down the road from me. Then I saw straight pipes and pods. Put the factory airbox back on (buy one if u don't have it), then put the mufflers back on, and I'll gladly help. I'm not going to be running to the stealership, buying their whole inventory of Mikuni Mains and pilot jets cuz whoever wants to make a bike cool. It'd be a headache tuning it, and you'd def have a flat-spot across the rpm band at any given point. A little hotrodding trick we do to straight pipes is to weld-in a washer to regain some backpressure in the pipes. Doesn't matter on FI, as the computer will automatically adjust the A/F mixture. Not the case on these old CV carbs.
        '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Stop right there. With pod filters, no amount of "tuning" is going to help. It will run like dog shit as long as those are installed. Is "staightpipe exhaust" code for some hacked up shit your brother custom made in the back yard?
          its just the stock pipes with the mufflers cut off and long exhaust tips thrown on. he's in the process of making up a baffle for them to make sure he gets at least a little backpressure going. and i feel like a lot of people are against pod filters, but i see so many bikes that run them perfectly fine... is it just a bias or an exaggeration? or is the performance extremely different? i understand you've done a shit ton of carb work so im not questioning your abilities, i'm just curious to do some learning!

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
          Yea, those are stone age mods.
          Mankind has come a long ways since then.
          You guys are gonna have to do more reading about how to tweak an engine. Just bolting on stuff, that's not engineering.

When I clicked your location, it gave me Brighton England>HA!
          I was wondering how come you sounded American.
          that's weird, i'll have to go back and edit that! and yeah yeah i know, its in my near future. gotta finish design school this next year and then i can go to a 2 year mechanic school. i know whats in an engine but i'm still an idiot on the details and stuff. still pretty new to the custom world too, but we are definitely interested in getting our hands dirty on performance (we do still want it to look sick as hell though)

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Lol, ur 30 minutes down the road from me. Then I saw straight pipes and pods. Put the factory airbox back on (buy one if u don't have it), then put the mufflers back on, and I'll gladly help. I'm not going to be running to the stealership, buying their whole inventory of Mikuni Mains and pilot jets cuz whoever wants to make a bike cool. It'd be a headache tuning it, and you'd def have a flat-spot across the rpm band at any given point. A little hotrodding trick we do to straight pipes is to weld-in a washer to regain some backpressure in the pipes. Doesn't matter on FI, as the computer will automatically adjust the A/F mixture. Not the case on these old CV carbs.
          FI? whats FI (sorry new guy here haha). and he's been tuning them himself, or trying at least. i can get a video from him showing the bike revving up and stuff for yall, to entertain. i think we still have the stock airbox, i'll get him to put it on there the next time he comes out and we'll see if there's any noticable positive change as directly compared to the pods. but the stock mufflers are a no go, those got hacked off haha

i appreciate the feedback guys. also if it helps, he's not looking for super high performance out of this bike, just so it is to a point where it runs well enough to enjoy on the road

Comment

Originally posted by weegand View Post
            its just the stock pipes with the mufflers cut off and long exhaust tips thrown on. he's in the process of making up a baffle for them to make sure he gets at least a little backpressure going. and i feel like a lot of people are against pod filters, but i see so many bikes that run them perfectly fine... is it just a bias or an exaggeration? or is the performance extremely different? i understand you've done a shit ton of carb work so im not questioning your abilities, i'm just curious to do some learning!

that's weird, i'll have to go back and edit that! and yeah yeah i know, its in my near future. gotta finish design school this next year and then i can go to a 2 year mechanic school. i know whats in an engine but i'm still an idiot on the details and stuff. still pretty new to the custom world too, but we are definitely interested in getting our hands dirty on performance (we do still want it to look sick as hell though)

FI? whats FI (sorry new guy here haha). and he's been tuning them himself, or trying at least. i can get a video from him showing the bike revving up and stuff for yall, to entertain. i think we still have the stock airbox, i'll get him to put it on there the next time he comes out and we'll see if there's any noticable positive change as directly compared to the pods. but the stock mufflers are a no go, those got hacked off haha

i appreciate the feedback guys. also if it helps, he's not looking for super high performance out of this bike, just so it is to a point where it runs well enough to enjoy on the road
            FI= Fuel Injection. I've converted a few of my bikes to it, with great satisfaction. My GSXR is FI, and I love it.

If ypu get cheap pods, you'll block the intake bell causing issues. If you get better one's, like Uni, you'll have better luck tuning. However, the function of the stock airbox was to provide the designed venturi, and smooth flow the cv carbs work-off. You rmodify that intake flow when you go with pods. Some work arounds include adding stacks (pvc pipe). Pods are not intended for the street application. They are meant for racing apps with true flatside carbs, where top rpm's are utilized. Tuning at low rpm's is not necessitated, as flatsides are a WOT application carb.
            '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

FI= Fuel Injection. I've converted a few of my bikes to it, with great satisfaction. My GSXR is FI, and I love it.

If ypu get cheap pods, you'll block the intake bell causing issues. If you get better one's, like Uni, you'll have better luck tuning. However, the function of the stock airbox was to provide the designed venturi, and smooth flow the cv carbs work-off. You rmodify that intake flow when you go with pods. Some work arounds include adding stacks (pvc pipe). Pods are not intended for the street application. They are meant for racing apps with true flatside carbs, where top rpm's are utilized. Tuning at low rpm's is not necessitated, as flatsides are a WOT application carb.
              ah, that makes sense. and i got some k&n's for my 82 honda cb900f cafe, but i think my bro just has some cheapo ones.

how hard is the FI conversion? and sorry, what is WOT?

curious question, i know running carbs without filters altogether can allow crap to gum up the carbs and such, but would that theoretically allow for better performance? or does that also cause problems because of too much air flow?

Comment

It doesn't make a difference, the K&N's are shit too. Converting a Katana to FI is not an easy or cheap task. WOT = wide open throttle. Dude, you're not understanding any thing that is being said here. The reason pod filters don't work on CV (constant velocity) carbs is because the stock air box provides the needed back pressure. How is taking them off going to make it run any better?

Comment

It doesn't make a difference, the K&N's are shit too. Converting a Katana to FI is not an easy or cheap task. WOT = wide open throttle. Dude, you're not understanding any thing that is being said here. The reason pod filters don't work on CV (constant velocity) carbs is because the stock air box provides the needed back pressure. How is taking them off going to make it run any better?
                  i mean the guy whose build im following for my cb900f changed from stock carbs to cr-31s, ran pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust and his bike runs fine, so are K&N filters really so shitty? i guess i dont understand how a company could produce performance filters if they are as shitty as everyone says they are..or are you just saying they're shit on CV carbs specifically?

so there are CV carbs, and then there's flatslide carbs?any others?

and i apologize for the idiocy, i havent studied the important stuff like this yet, so i appreciate yall for puttin up with me haha

Comment

It's simple how a company makes shit and is profitable. You bought them didn't you? I'd say 95% of stuff that uses K&N products do show improvement. This example isn't one of them.

Comment

Sorry Arsenic. Sometimes I think it's best that I not post, as too much info can confuse the situation. My bad.

I intentionally did not state "K&N", as most assimilate K&N with good filters (thank advertising).

You answered your own question regard to the lack of filters. With one exception: these bikes were engineered to run the way they were designed, stock. Now, you may say "well, what about this mod, and that?" Well, that would be a mod that has an effect on the bike other than the intended design. These bikes were designed to be used with the stock airbox. The engineering on these bikes was extensive.

Nowadays, people monkey-see, monkey do their bikes. Buy a bike with no mechanical background, half-ass some bobber/street fighter vison they had, then post it on Craigslist to pawn it off on somebody else.
                      '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Sorry Arsenic. Sometimes I think it's best that I not post, as too much info can confuse the situation. My bad.

I intentionally did not state "K&N", as most assimilate K&N with good filters (thank advertising).

You answered your own question regard to the lack of filters. With one exception: these bikes were engineered to run the way they were designed, stock. Now, you may say "well, what about this mod, and that?" Well, that would be a mod that has an effect on the bike other than the intended design. These bikes were designed to be used with the stock airbox. The engineering on these bikes was extensive.

Nowadays, people monkey-see, monkey do their bikes. Buy a bike with no mechanical background, half-ass some bobber/street fighter vison they had, then post it on Craigslist to pawn it off on somebody else.
                        This forum lacks the ability to "like" a post. I like that post.

Comment

It wasn't directed at your post. You were correct. Noobs think the Kat can be made to haul ass by fucking with the carbs, I say that because they don't have a clue and their friend that have sport bikes do it and they don't realize the Kat isn't designed in the same manner or function. I have plenty of mods but, still run the air box and OEM filter. For fun I do have RS flat slides with UNI pods.

This forum lacks the ability to "like" a post. I like that post.
                          Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-25-2015, 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It's simple how a company makes shit and is profitable. You bought them didn't you? I'd say 95% of stuff that uses K&N products do show improvement. This example isn't one of them.

fair enough, but say someone wants to use pod filters because of say aesthetic reasons, it'd be possible to get the same amount of backpressure by doing what was mentioned earlier with pvc or something, right? guarenteed im gonna have him throw his stock airbox on for a bit to see the difference, but for the type of look he's going for on his bike he'll want to keep the pods if possible.

assuming that he tuned his carbs right, the only problem would be that loss of backpressure on the pods then right? because again, he's not looking for 110% of the stock performance, he's just trying to get a decent cruise to get his bike on the road this season

Comment

Looks don't mean shit, dude. That's all superficial. bike looks cool, runs like shit or only good for short rides due to crappy mileage. I'll take function over looks any day. Some have even put sleeves over the filters just to get them to work somewhat decent. I've spent a lot of money trying to get pods tuned on my bike and it was never perfect. I'll stick to the air box.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X