Replacement Petcock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Petcock

My Petcock is trashed...
    Its been sitting for years on the bottom of a gas tank with no cap outside.
    The handle wont move, I tried removing the diaphragm with no success.
    Its stuck in the ON position so i put it all back together and added fuel...
    It leaks...
    Bike will run with it but it is leaking right on my Carbs...

So finally to my question... Is it possible to use a different model of petcock(LT80 ~$7) in place of the Katana ~$70?

Rebuild what you have.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If you can get it apart, soak it in chem dip or something similar if you have it. There's a how to for petcock rebuilds if you haven't seen it. Not sure what other petcock a would be compatible, but if you're going to buy one, get a used one off eBay and rebuild it. Should be able to get a used one for maybe $15? Can't imagine they'd go for more than that. Think rebuild kits are ~$30. Not as cheap as $7, but better than $70.

Rebuild thread:
      Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

They are more expensive than you think...

Also I Have soaked it in Phosphoric acid for about an hour and it wont budge... also I don't know how to remove the diaphragm.
        The tutorial on here has expired pictures.

Comment

Remove the screws in the back. Acid and aluminum isn't good.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

I removed the 4 screws... the spring came out easy enough but the diaphragm isn't moving... is there a trick like twist twice knock three times? or should it just pull right out?

Comment

Should just fall right off or a little stuck to the petcock, just pop it off with a utility knife.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

I'm surprised the acid didn't do damage. Doesn't hydrochloric acid eat metal?

Comment

The acid ate all the corrosion and etched the metal. But I'm not trying to win the beauty pageant I'm just trying to get the thing running 100%. Plus it was only a 20-30% solution so not too strong compared to the 80% I used to clean out the gas tank.

Comment

I am not sure if they will help, but here are a couple of photos from when I had my petcock disassembled recently. I believe the plastic piece should end up with the tiny hole pointing up to prevent fuel leakage. I may have the gasket on the wrong side of the plastic/diaphram combo. Would someone else verify which side that goes on?

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                    X