X

Petcock question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock question

Tore into the petcock to try and track down a small leak. Was planning to get it clean and drop in a rebuild kit. In tearing it down I did notice this and it raises a question for me.

This spring/washer/??? sits deep in the petcock, behind the plastic (?) controller inside. Locked in on one side, the other side looks bent to me, doubled back, but is it supposed to be that way?

I've looked online and can't fine any photos or diagrams that show the inner workings, just the simple rebuild stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mark
    Attached Files

That spring is tweaked out of shape, one end is anchored the other end goes down the center to the diaphragm for prime function
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      That spring is tweaked out of shape, one end is anchored the other end goes down the center to the diaphragm for prime function
      You sure about that? I'm in no way saying you are incorrect, but every petcock I've seen looks like that.

Comment

Ya. I was bout to say it's supposed to look like that. I think that's what mine looked like on my 82gs850. Kind of weird. You prob have bad gasket or something.

Comment

There is another spring that runs from the plastic controller out into the handle, looks just like a standard small spiral spring.

This one is set in place on the one edge and wraps around to the folded part. If I were guessing it is to keep the plastic controller semi-floating between the two springs, to make it easier to turn. just wanted to make sure it is supposed to look like that since this is the first Katana petcock I've been into.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            You sure about that? I'm in no way saying you are incorrect, but every petcock I've seen looks like that.
            Of corse you are, just being nice today..lol
            It just looks like the center part Isn't angled correctly like folded back a little.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-31-2013, 01:20 AM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by uncltommy77 View Post
              Ya. I was bout to say it's supposed to look like that. I think that's what mine looked like on my 82gs850. Kind of weird. You prob have bad gasket or something.
              Bad gasket or just a crappy build after the PO had the tank sealed. I found bits of crap INSIDE the petcock when I pulled it apart.. Think that might have had something to do with the large o-ring that was chewed up looking and half of its depth just flat out gone. All of the above probably led to the need to clean the carbs...

Glad I did it though, otherwise that crap would have ended up in my nice clean carbs!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                Of corse you are

Comment

Put the plastic selector and the knob back on before putting the diaphram in.

Turn the knob from res, to on, to prime while looking into the hole from the diaphram side.

You should see the spring tip recessed when res, on..... but when turned to prime it should be pushed into the center of the hole towards you.

If on prime and it's not centered, I would adjust the tip so it is.

If on res/on make sure it's recessed enough to not touch the center piston of the diaphram assembly. If not, you need to adjust the spring. If it touches, it can hold the piston of the diaphram slightly open causing a leaky petcock.

Once you have that confirmed, then put the diaphram, white spacer, and end cap on.

Set to res, use your finger to cover one of the fuel port holes well, blow on the other. No air should move through. Set to on, should be same result. Set to prime, should move air very easily. Set back to on and try again.

If your able to move air any at all on res/on settings... you need to fix. That's a leak.

Krey
                  Last edited by Kreylyn; 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM.
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Perfect!

Thank you!

Comment

In cleaning up mt petcock, I am in a bit confused. The arrow on the handle can only point in three directions, 180 degree of travel, based upon the tab on the trim plate that locks the handle in place. The white plastic piece has two sized slots to match the two sizes of tabs on the handle portion. The white plastic piece has a small hole in one side above or below the slots depending how you install it. I understand how the sloped tab on the back of the white valve operates the spring to create the prime function holding the vac valve open.

Now for the parts that confuse me. On my handle, the pointer will point to Reserve, Prime, or the Fuel sides of the metal plate, it will not turn to the ON function. No matter how I start the white valve in position, if I line things up with the two sized tabs, the bump on the back of the white valve is never directly over the high point of the PRIME function spring.

So, am I missing something on the assembly? Or do I have components from different petcocks??

I can not currently get the PRIME function, so I have to crank and crank on the starter till enough fuel flows to fill the bowls.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
                      1993 Suzuki Katana 600
                      1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
                        In cleaning up mt petcock, I am in a bit confused. The arrow on the handle can only point in three directions, 180 degree of travel, based upon the tab on the trim plate that locks the handle in place. The white plastic piece has two sized slots to match the two sizes of tabs on the handle portion. The white plastic piece has a small hole in one side above or below the slots depending how you install it. I understand how the sloped tab on the back of the white valve operates the spring to create the prime function holding the vac valve open.

Now for the parts that confuse me. On my handle, the pointer will point to Reserve, Prime, or the Fuel sides of the metal plate, it will not turn to the ON function. No matter how I start the white valve in position, if I line things up with the two sized tabs, the bump on the back of the white valve is never directly over the high point of the PRIME function spring.

So, am I missing something on the assembly? Or do I have components from different petcocks??

I can not currently get the PRIME function, so I have to crank and crank on the starter till enough fuel flows to fill the bowls.
                        The metal clip that holds the knob assembly in... is what designates the 180 turn radius and stop. If that has been flipped 180 out, then the knob turns the wrong way, turns only to prim/res and points upwards instead of going down. FYI... that reverses what prim/res really are too.

Take the knob and clip assembly back off the petcock. Hold the metal clip in one hand, turn the knob in the other until you verify positioning so that it points left, down, right and back again in it's rotation. Never up.

FYI... double check your prime spring again after putting it back on, because mixing that up can cause the spring to be damaged and bent.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ahh...it is always the simplest things that elude me sometimes!!!! I will investigate when I replace the fuel sending unit. Mine does not seem to work since it was half rusted out.

Current rides
                          1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I will confirm what Krey explained about the little spring. It works to push the valve open in the prime setting and should poke out near the center of the hole when its in the correct spot. Mine was slightly bent out of shape and messing with the prime setting. Repairing (carefully re-bending it with some skinny needle nose pliers) that, cleaning and installing the rebuild kit solved all my petcock problems.

Also, as Krey pointed out, there is a right way to assemble it all back together. Get it wrong and you have what dgxser has, a problem.

Comment

ok, so what are my options if the little spring inside the petcock broke?. Am I correct in thinking I need to get a new petcock? Or is that part available?

Current rides
                              1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X