Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Stripped Oil Pan Drain Plug..Best plan of attack?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Oil Pan Drain Plug..Best plan of attack?

Well, its official..nothing will save my stripped drain plug hole in my oil pan. I just attempted to try different techniques to get it to plug the dripping to no avail, the PO has officially fubarred me. So, I feel that there are several options that I can do here and I would like to see what all y'all have to say about my options or have any additional ones that could possibly help.

Is it possible to keep the pan on the bike for any of this or is best to take it off so there's no metal shavings to worry about? Only reason that I ask is because I could take some heat to my header bolts but I'm still a little scared of them snapping off..

A) Heli-coil it with a slightly larger thread

B) Drill and tap a new hole, install a Fumoto

C) Cringe at taking my header off,drop the old pan, buy a new one, Paint it up nice, install a fumoto, install new pan.

Any other options out there guys?

Here's the oil pan I found on ebay, I feel it would be a good buy.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    ~Author Unknown

If you're going to drill/tap a larger hole I'd recommend pulling the pan anyways so you don't end up with metal shavings in there. They have a way of killing bearings real quick.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I would pay money to see you drill a tap a new drain plug hole with the oil pan still on the bike. I'm sure it's possible, but it would be a GIANT pain in the ass.

Comment

Alright, so what's the best way of getting the bolts for the exhaust off then without them snapping off?

I knew I couldn't get around not dropping the pan but my father thought otherwise, oh well. Stubbornness comes with age I suppose.
        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Heat and penetrating fluid, like PB Blaster or Kroil. If they are gonna snap, they are gonna snap, there's not much you can do. If they do snap, I've had good luck soaking them in Kroil and they come out with pliers. When you install them, use high temp anti seize. That way you won't have to worry next time.

Comment

When I stripped my oil pan plug on my GS, I went to Napa and got an oversize plug that you screw in and it makes its own threads. Not a perfect solution, but works until you can find a better solution.
            This is what it looks like:
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
            V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
            Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

No matter how you cut it, that pans gunna need to be dropped. Better let the header bolts start soaking in PB now. Be care with the header bolts if they are that bad. Use the right tool, use quality tools, and use a breaker bar. I was scared when I pulled mine off my 97 but they came pretty easy, they must have been taken off before.
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

That's what I figured, mine as well go get some PB blaster now and start soaking the bolts in it before I go ahead and snap then off. Kroil? I can honestly say I have never heard of that, Arsenic..
                ~Author Unknown

Comment

google it

Comment

I can always rely on the KatRiders very blunt smart a$$.
                    ~Author Unknown

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by fury8793 View Post
                        I can always rely on the KatRiders very blunt smart a$$.
                        In fairness he could have done this:

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Kroil is the best shit on the planet, they are not longer making it under that name. It's now penetroil. Nu-Calgon bought them out. Still awesome stuff.
                          Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-18-2015, 03:55 PM.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                            In fairness he could have done this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kroil

I love lmgtfy!

On a more serious note, I'm going to order some of it and try it out. I'm going to replace the 23year old exhaust gaskets on my 1100 to fix an exhaust leak. Those bolts aren't going to come out easily.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I did the same as zoorick, bought an oversize bolt from my local autozone store that was meant to replace a stripped oil pan bolt. Worked like a charm and I've never had a leak with it. Much cheaper than a new pan.
                              2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                              2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                              1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                              1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                              1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X