X

carbs keep leaking help please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs keep leaking help please

Ok I'm new here and just recently bought a 97 gsx600f when I first got the bike it ran but was running extremely rich the previous owner had put a set of 750 carbs on the bike and one of the slide springs was damaged and leaking gas into cylinder. I bought a set of used 600 carbs put on the bike everything was great for about 30 or so miles I rebuilt the pet cock because it was leaking and after I did that number one carb started pouring fuel from bowl. I opened up the bowl to find that not only was the bowl gasket in pieces inside the bowl but also (and this is the part I still don't understand) the float was missing from number one carb I put a new bowl gasket another float and new O rings in carbs 1 and 2 (because after i fixed carb 1 carb 2 started leaking )and problem solved for another 30 miles now leaking fuel out through air filter....I'm honestly know not much about carbs but the gas is coming from the 2 small holes on the air intake side of carbs 1 and 2 I'm out of ideas as to what keeps going on and why I can't stop the issue......any ideas of what to do next would be greatly appreciated it's finally warming up and want to get this thing out and ride soon...

Check the float o-rings are properly seated in their seats and the pilot jet plug is there and it has a tight fit.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-12-2015, 09:58 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

And since you can't garauntee they are set right, while you have them open , I'd measure the float height.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check those as soon as I get a chance to tear it back down again.

Comment

If those were hooked up to your bike, you probably have gas in your oil now - be a good idea to change that before you run the motor again.

Also, bench test the carbs before install. Ie hook them up to a fuel source and leave them on a bench/table/anything for a couple hours and make sure they are staying leak free. Much easier to spot when the carbs aren't on the bike, and saves the pain in the ass it is to have to remove them again if still leaking. + this shows you where they're leaking so you don't have to hunt around.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

+1
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I happen to have a set of 90-97 600 carbs. They aren't rebuilt and ready for sale yet, but I have a set. If you're intrested in a rebuilt set that is actually rebuilt, let me know.

Comment

That would solve your problems and save you some grief. Plus they look and perform like new.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

How much for those carbs problem I have is I just spent 175 on these and was told they were ready to ride and I just ordered 4 rebuild kits and honestly my bike budget is pretty much spent

Comment

Don't worry about it, good luck

Comment

If you can't afford the carb set from Arsenic then it's time to follow Carbs 101 to the letter.

Do it once, do it right, do it completely and smile while you ride KNOWING that you made it happen. I did mine almost two years ago, not because I couldn't afford the nice ones that Arsenic provides but because I like to learn thinks and KNOW about my bike. It's not hard, just lots of details, lots of little parts and time. Don't be in a rush to get it done.

Like most things when it comes to mechanical repair: Fast / Good / Cheap, pick any two.

Fast/Good would be buying from Arsenic.
                      Good/Cheap would be doing it yourself, correctly.
                      Fast/Cheap...you get what you pay for, might be good for a while.

Comment

Can anyone possibly tell me what the specs are on the float heights for my 97 katana 600?

That's what I'm going to do skjeflo I have rebuild kits ordered I haven't finished reading through carbs 101 to make sure that the kits come with everything I'm going to need and I'm trying to get as much info as I can so I can attempt the rebuild because I'm on a tight budget and bought the bike expecting to put some money in it but have already sunk 500 in the last month in it with carbs tires filters oil and new fork seals which have been put on the back burner for now because when I was going to replace them I found out that the forks are not katana forks the part number is for a yamaha bike so after the carb rebuild I'll be looking to find some actual katana forks it will take some time over the next week but I'll let you guys know how it goes I work in an automotive shop so I should have access to everything I need to do this I mainly work on fuel injected cars never carbs or bikes before but it's always great to learn new things
                        Last edited by Mattrc88; 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Mattrc88 View Post
                            I have rebuild kits ordered I haven't finished reading through carbs 101 to make sure that the kits come with everything I'm going to need a...and new fork seals which have been put on the back burner for now because when I was going to replace them I found out that the forks are not katana forks the part number is for a yamaha bike so after the carb rebuild I'll be looking to find some actual katana forks...
                            If you bought the K&L kits for the carbs then they should have everything you need to replace internally.

Save yourself time and frustration later by replacing all the JIS screws (no, they aren't Phillips despite what they look like) on the rails, bowls and caps with some stainless allen head cap screws.

Don't be too quick to dump the Yamaha forks, depending on what they are from. The stock Katana forks aren't exactly known as a good fork, at least not without throwing some cash at them for new springs and emulators (see Race Tech).

Hey! That's me a couple years ago!

Comment

I thought the pre kits didn't come with pilot plugs? I have a post so I'm not sure but I seem to remmeber heading about that before.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                              X