No announcement yet.
X

new to forum . one problem.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was reading about the relay mod earlier. bike usually starts without a problem no choke or anything usually needed. what should it be while trying to start and which wire on the coils kinda tinkered earlier with it but my damn meter was junk. last expensive harbor frieght one i buy. their 5$ ones work better than the 20$ ones... it kinda seems like i got a dead cell in battery sometimes. will crank fine first off then when bike starts acting up it wants to just roll the starter over

Comment

11+v while cranking on the power feed to the coils. Maybe a heat related problem with one or both of the coils. Does it only die after warming up?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by sbcmighty View Post
        Jet sizes sound stock or bigger?
        114 is not a Mikuni jet size. You have a Dynojet jet kit. Stock is 115 out and 112.5 in. Main jets that is. 12.5 is the stock pilot jet and 50 is the stock starter jets. Those aren't changed with a jet kit.

Comment

Yea only want to run like shit after warm. Ill go tomorow to my shop n get different meter. Thanks arsenic. Any suggestions on the jets?

Comment

not those And you can't mix Mikuni main jets with DJ needles. You'll need to get the stock needles. If you want I can sell you brand new OEM main jets and used, but good OEM needles.

Comment

We will see. Anybody know if srad coils will work on the kat? My brother has a parts one just waiting on me to buy whole thing lol.

Comment

ok so went for ride today as the past few days here have been rainy and cold . good for about a mile after few seconds of a warm up . ran like total shit, like its running on 2cyl. only after it gets warm. any input?

Comment

My guess is you're running rich. Warm engines don't do well with too much fuel. Smell your oil and see if it smells like gas. If it does, don't run the engine again until a) you change the oil and b) find out bike was running so rich fuel was seeping into the crankcase.
                  If it is because of running rich, could be incorrect float height, debris keeping the floats from sealing fully, no spark on 1 or more cylinders, and a few others, but those are easy enough to check first.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

+1
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

ok so after some tinkering all plugs are lighting off not great but sparking. could be too much fuel . cleaned plugs other day and wouldnt ya know they black as all get out in no more than a 30 min run time. float height is 13mm correct? since new oem filter should i adjust mixture screw back in a 1/4 or half turn? at 2.5 now. thanks for the feedback guys

Comment

Float height is listed in the manual, don't recall off top of my head. Manual is available for download in the wiki (upper left).

Plugs dirty that fast definitely = rich.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

yea thats what im leaning to now . ill have them back off tomorow and see what i cant do with them

Comment

You're not going to fix anything with DJ114 main jets, DJ needles and an OEM air filter. The DJ114 main jets are meant to be used with a K&N air filter. They don't work well, but the do make the mixture richer. DJ needles have incorrect angles ground in them. They are rich at one RPM and lean at another. If you enjoy cleaning the spark plugs over and over, knock yourself out. Believe me when I tell you, with that jetting it'll never run well. While I'm on the subject of cleaning spark plugs, you know that doesn't really do anything. Once they are fouled, they're never going to spark 100% again. Yes, leave the A/F screws at 2.5 turns out. I don't know where you heard to turn them back 1/4 of a turn, but don't do that.

Comment

how can someone sell such junk? refering to the dj kits. im feeling needles arent seating all the way was running it off a bottle last night and bottle empty this morning . oil level in sight glass on stand so figure its in crankcase. and yes arsenic i know that about plugs but getting some carbon off them would sure not hurt anything. man this thing has been kicking my ass. when i first got it and blew carbs out it ran great for months , let it sit and man never had such problems with carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by sbcmighty View Post
                                how can someone sell such junk?
                                Because people BUY such junk.

Comment

Working...
                                X