X

Why sync carbs? (need education)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
    Check amazon.com for an auxiliary tank. I got one for less than $25 shipped and brand new. The time you spend figuring out other options and parts will probably cost more. IMHO.
    +1

I just so happen to know a guy that is a mechanic for a lawn service. He just brought it over one day. I saw it and my eyes lit up. Moral of the story is my tank fell in my lap. you may be better off getting one off the interwebs...
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by tone
      Using a proper set of 4 vac gauges will get you far more accurate results than anything else
      4 individual vacuum gauges??? Personally not a fan due to the inherent inaccuracies. You've obviously never used one of these:

Part 4 - Note - this was done on a cold engine and the carbs aren't balanced at higher speed. To get these into balance, you have to adjust the throttle cabl...

That's how you get far more accurate results than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
        4 individual vacuum gauges??? Personally not a fan due to the inherent inaccuracies. You've obviously never used one of these:

Part 4 - Note - this was done on a cold engine and the carbs aren't balanced at higher speed. To get these into balance, you have to adjust the throttle cabl...

That's how you get far more accurate results than anything else.
        that's neat
        guess I'm the only one who syncs the carbs without a continuous gas supply huh

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
          guess I'm the only one who syncs the carbs without a continuous gas supply huh
          No - depends how fussy you want to get and the accuracy of the synch tool. The float bowls hold plenty of fuel to synch the carbs as well as something like a carbtune or 4 vacuum gauges will allow - within the allowable tolerances but not absolutely perfect. The "problem" with the Harmonizer is it encourages you to spend 10 minutes, not 2 minutes, to ensure that graphic display stays perfectly centred. (It would take 1 minute to be with 20 mm Hg as recommended) So, an external fuel supply (I just sit the fuel tank on a trolley and link the petcock to the bike's fuel filter with a length of fuel hose) and cooling fan (I use a marine bilge blower) are essential. But the little extra time and effort (what's a few minutes when you've spent hours adjusting valves / cleaning carbs) are very worthwhile.

Comment

The Morgan carbtune works very well.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
              The Morgan carbtune works very well.
              I've had this discussion before ...

1) Next time you use it, synch the carbs, then swap the leads around to see if it still reads the same.

2) Pull the back of it and ask yourself how it could possibly work.

It's certainly easy to use and will do an OK job if you ensure it's calibrated.

Comment

But why would you want mercury even remotely close to your aluminum engine????
                edit: I see they now offer a "pro" version that uses no mercury
                Last edited by Lykkan; 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM.

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

It doesn't use any liquids. It has columns of stainless steel that float through guides to indicate the vacuum.. I used this a couple of times
                  and its worked fine. If not spot on ,I'd say they were real close & I'm ok with that.

Comment

OK - where are the vacuum ports that I plug the lines (from the carb sync tool) into?

I thought they would be on those things that mate the carbs to the engine but I can not see any. What am I missing or where else should I look?

Comment

right on top of the carbs. The ports towards the engine side on the black plastic covers. They have caps and clips on them.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I wish the 98 600 had the connections there.

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                          I wish the 98 600 had the connections there.
                          Yeah, the 98+ sync procedure is more of a pita.

Comment

Woah there fella, something got lost in the translation, i use a morgan carbtune now & before that the mercury version, my comment was intended to point out the inaccuracy of setting one pair & the other pair then trying to balance the two pairs with only 2 gauges IE its never right
                            Hence my "???". A Carbtune is not the 4 individual gauges mounted on a board that some people try to pass off as a synch tool.

But the 2 + 2 + 2 method works perfectly well. Let's face it, that's what you're doing with the Carbtune anyway - you just don't have to change vac lines during the process.

Yes it does but only if properly stored & maintained
                            Just remember to check the calibration occasionally. The only way I could get mine to read half accurately / consistently was to drop some fine oil in the gauge tubes so friction played less role in rod height. It also read differently at different temps (eg summer vs winter).

Comment

Storing properly. I do not recall seeing storage instructions. I ended up just hanging up on The end of my garage cabinet and using the brass plugs in the ends of the vacuum lines.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                                right on top of the carbs. The ports towards the engine side on the black plastic covers. They have caps and clips on them.
                                Cool. Thank you. I thought those seemed liked they should unscrew but I didn't want to force them if they didn't. Looks like I might have to apply some pliers (gently) to those to get them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X