No announcement yet.
X

6g idle with choke on.....HELP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently we don't have the : facepalm : emoticon anymore. Man that would be perfect here.

Comment

Y is that....could that be the problem?

Comment

You mean "why"? I speak english, not bingo.

Comment

Okay arsenic, "why is that".....you knew what I ment so please just answer the question, I'm asking for help, not sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600-4me View Post
            Okay arsenic, "why is that".....you knew what I ment so please just answer the question, I'm asking for help, not sarcasm
            Don't take it personal, look at his avatar. He's a wealth of knowledge, but you have to take some abuse to get it

Me on the other hand, I have no knowledge but am very nice and willing to help. If you need to know about plasti dip or changing your oil, just let me know!
            Last edited by rottenpixies; 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM.
            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Yeah dat waz my bad i just burned the shit out of myself just b4 I answered dat.....sorry arsenic

It's wierd did what purple haze said and set the throttle plates....then some one else said to set a/f mixture screws to 2.5 it's at 4k now which says lean cause of a vacuum leak, but when I rev it, it spits black smoke bad like its rich?! Wtf

And I can't find anything about these pilot jets I got, the holes on the side are notably bigger, but I thnk I read the fuel to the pilot jets are controlled via the main, hence the little black plugs....so as long as its a 32.5 stock should that really matter? Is it because its a universal pilot jet? I don't wana replace them with the wrong ones and have to start from square one,

And could it be caused by the previous owner doing a jet kit and me not knowing about it?

I'm at a complete loss of words here lol

Comment

As to the jet kit, what do your jet needles look like?

Adjustable clips or only one slot at the top?

Generally if you have adjustable needles then you have a jet kit installed. Post photos of the details and I'm sure someone here can decipher what kind.

Comment

Yes the needle valves are adjustable, so if there is a jet kit how do I adjust for it?

My bad i mean jet needle
                  Last edited by Katana600-4me; 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I know I'm lean at acceleration cause I went to 3 turns and reved it and I had enough flames to roast a marshmallow.

I'm doe for the night because its too dark to work.....final tally, katana=1 me=0.....as of right now with everything on, the bike is idling between 1500 and 2000 with everything in place, but reving the motor still causes flames to come out, and it'll idle for only a minute before its idle gets so low it cuts out.

I no it's still running lean as hell, but the a/f mixture screw is out 3 turns from bottom and still running lean.

With it warmed up it still won't start without the choke.

Anything I should look at tomorrow?
                    Last edited by Katana600-4me; 02-05-2014, 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Or could I be running rich?

Comment

Running lean means more air than fuel in the mixture. I doubt a lean mix would cause flames to shoot out the exhaust.

Comment

Ok so tomorrow back off the a/f mixture screw a bit and it will hopefully be done.

Screw the fact it's my daily driver, I've been dying to ride it for 2 months now!

Comment

Flames = mondo rich. Thats probably why it dies after a bit - warm engines have trouble running rich. Might want to make sure you weren't flooding things and having gas leak into your engine. Pull your oil fill plug tomorrow before you do anything else and give it/your oil a whiff. If you smell gas, you'll need to change that oil.
                            It's possible for the bike to be generally running rich, but for 1 carb to have an air leak somewhere making that cylinder run lean, which would cause the fluctuating idle. Might want to grab a spray bottle and fill it with water tomorrow. As the bike warms up spray your header pipes. The water should evaporate off them at the same - speed. if one evaporates off faster, it's cause it is hotter, which is caused by it being lean. And bam, you've narrowed down your leak to 1 carb.
                            Well, if you only have 1 leak at least.

I'd recommend turning those A/F screws down 1st though. And btw, you'll want to sync your carbs again after messing with those. Might want to try the spray bottle thing while the bike is warming up for you to sync it after you turn in those screws.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'd had this problem myself (black smoke when getting above around 6k, doesn't smell like gas, smells like burnt death), the issue was too much fuel. All you can do is tune from here on out and be careful of introducing new vacuum leaks. IIRC my air/fuel screws are at 1.8/9 turns out. Results vary from people to people and 2.5 is the de-facto common setting.

Once it's all said and done and you have it running perfect, I *always* recommend doing (before you put the plastics back on, once you put those on you'll never want to touch it mechanically again [ask me how I know])

Sync
                              Idle Drop
                              Sync Again

Your carbs will be perfect and she'll run like a dime.
                              - Purplehaze
                              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Let us know when you get this figured out. The flames-out-the-exhaust mod is one I've been wanting to do...

Comment

Working...
                                X