Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1996 gsx600f stopped running. HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
    I sure hope you checked the petcock, vacuum lines and fuel lines before you did all that work.

By the way, my water cooled Z-Rex damn near overheated sitting still in Atlanta traffic for 15 minutes. Never let your bike sit like that. Ever heard of oil coking? Happens in turbo cars and bikes mostly. Believe it or not, the only bike I've owned that didn't overheat from idling for long spells was my 08 Harley FXDB. An air cooled, 1600cc twin torque monster from a company who's engines were supposedly the worst about overheating never got hot with me on it.

Sometimes you really don't have a choice in the idle time. Accidents are the worst. You want to kill your bike, but you know that the traffic can start moving at any time and stop at any time so if you do this to often, you will kill your battery.

Comment

get one of these...

it will help your bike run as it should. If you do have other issues they will be easier to diagnose an fix without complicating it with the k&n. If you search k&n in the search box you will find a million reasons why lol
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
        I sure hope you checked the petcock, vacuum lines and fuel lines before you did all that work.

By the way, my water cooled Z-Rex damn near overheated sitting still in Atlanta traffic for 15 minutes. Never let your bike sit like that. Ever heard of oil coking? Happens in turbo cars and bikes mostly. Believe it or not, the only bike I've owned that didn't overheat from idling for long spells was my 08 Harley FXDB. An air cooled, 1600cc twin torque monster from a company who's engines were supposedly the worst about overheating never got hot with me on it.

So it appears that my petcock is actually leaking, and it looks like the gasket on the first carb as well. I'm going to try to repair the petcock myself and probably buy 4 new gaskets for the carbs. I've bought new plugs and wires and obviously have to replace the oil/filter as well. Hoping this will fix my problems!

Comment

If you have a K&N oil filter, your good on that. OEM type air filter, Please...
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            If you have a K&N oil filter, your good on that. OEM type air filter, Please...

Yes, I do have a K&N oil filter. That is still going to be okay then? And yes, I'm definitely going to get right on the OEM type air filter!

Comment

yea k&n OIL filters are fine, I use em myself. The k&n AIR filter is another story lol
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

So, turns out that I am missing one of the small black plugs for the pilot jet I believe. I'm not sure if this was previously missing or if I was the one who lost it. I'm assuming that these are necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by jwarring33 View Post
                  So, turns out that I am missing one of the small black plugs for the pilot jet I believe. I'm not sure if this was previously missing or if I was the one who lost it. I'm assuming that these are necessary?
                  So after some searching I've found some people who have said that these were only installed for EPA regulations or some nonsense, does anyone know if this is truly the case and if these really are not needed?

Comment

They are needed.
                    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                      They are needed.
                      Would this possibly be the cause of it idling so low?

Comment

It might contribute to it, but probably not in isolation. You should do a thorough re-clean of the carbs based on carbs 101 and a re-sync.
                        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

So after some searching I've found some people who have said that these were only installed for EPA regulations or some nonsense, does anyone know if this is truly the case and if these really are not needed?
                          Would this possibly be the cause of it idling so low?

The plugs over the a/f screws are the EPA required plugs.

The black rubber plugs on the inside of the carbs for pre kats are to force fuel through the main jet, into the cross over tube, and then to the pilot jet, but allow you access to remove the pilot jets if needed. The pilot jet size and considerations for fuel flow to them make the plugs nessasary. The carbs are not set up to allow fuel directly flow to the pilot jets.

The problems it causes are overly rich conditions, and possible flood out problems.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            The plugs over the a/f screws are the EPA required plugs.

The black rubber plugs on the inside of the carbs for pre kats are to force fuel through the main jet, into the cross over tube, and then to the pilot jet, but allow you access to remove the pilot jets if needed. The pilot jet size and considerations for fuel flow to them make the plugs nessasary. The carbs are not set up to allow fuel directly flow to the pilot jets.

The problems it causes are overly rich conditions, and possible flood out problems.

Krey
                            Okay, makes enough sense. Looks like I'll be ordering those along with the gaskets and o rings. Thanks to you all for the help!

Comment

So after disassembling and reassembling my carbs once again, this time with a few o rings that had disappeared, my beautiful kat is now running again!

The only problem I'm having now is that when it is in neutral or I have the clutch all the way in she wants to rev up to about 3k rpms but if I slowly start to release the clutch it drives completely normal. Shifts between gears without this problem. I had started to turn the idle up but have dropped it back down to around 1k or just under and it will idle there perfectly fine until you touch the throttle and it will start doing this. And obviously you're on the throttle while driving so it will rev up between 1.5k and 3k every time I have to stop.. Is there a simple adjustment that needs done or is something wrong here?

Comment

Running lean or you need to synch the carbs.
                                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                                X