Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1996 gsx600f stopped running. HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 gsx600f stopped running. HELP PLEASE!

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, comments they would be very much appreciated.

So, I bought a 1996 gsx600f a few weeks ago with very little mechanical knowledge when it comes to bikes. After two days the bike died on me at an intersection as the light turned green. I managed to get my bike back to my house to begin work on it.

After countless hours online learning about bikes, I began by doing a fresh oil and oil filter change.

I decided to change the spark plugs, two of which, 2 and 4 I believe, were in pretty bad shape. After replacing these I put a can of seafoam in my gas tank and let it run for a little over half an hr. The idle RPMs slowly increased from under 1000 to around 1300 and sounded much better but suddenly began getting worse and died again at about 40 minutes.

After this didn't fix my problem, I tore apart the carbs, under the assumption that one of the floats was probably sticking. Two of the pilot jets were pretty clogged up so after completely cleaning and reassembling them I put the bike together and the problems didn't go away.

So after these attempts a friend suggested I get new plug wires so I bought plug wires and ignition coils online. Yesterday I finally got these on my bike and of course my battery was low. So after a charge I started her up and she is still idling low and shutting off. It will only start once and will run seemingly well when it has throttle but dies when it is just idling.

My next option was to run a compression test but since I don't have a kit to test it I was considering just taking it to a shop to get it looked at before the season is officially over. If anyone has any ideas other options they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Please, please, please tell me you didn't let your air/oil cooled bike sit still idling for 40 minutes?

If you did, you'll have cooked your oil, your gaskets, your plugs, your boots, your fuel lines, vacuum lines, probably your plastics and wiring loom.

Comment

+1 and how did you clean Your carbs? Down load carbs 101 from the wiki and try again.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
        Please, please, please tell me you didn't let your air/oil cooled bike sit still idling for 40 minutes?

If you did, you'll have cooked your oil, your gaskets, your plugs, your boots, your fuel lines, vacuum lines, probably your plastics and wiring loom.

NO! My fault, I didn't explain very well. I ran it at intervals of probably about 10 minutes. Ran for about 40 minutes total over probably just over two hours.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        +1 and how did you clean Your carbs? Down load carbs 101 from the wiki and try again.
        Carbs 101 was actually what I used as a guide when doing it. Although I also watched a few videos on how to do it that were pretty helpful
        Last edited by jwarring33; 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thats just as bad!

Have you even looked at the engine and seen what it's designed to do?

It NEEDS to move! You can make a right mess of things idling for 5 minutes. It will retain heat in places it needs airwash to cool. Better people than me can explain it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
            Thats just as bad!

Have you even looked at the engine and seen what it's designed to do?

It NEEDS to move! You can make a right mess of things idling for 5 minutes. It will retain heat in places it needs airwash to cool. Better people than me can explain it better.
            WOW well that would go back to not knowing enough about bikes in the first place! Maybe time to take it to the shop to let them fix it while someone here does some basic research..

Comment

id say carb issues still and or vacuum leak. You could be loading up a cyl or 2 which is why it progressively dies out. Id start by checking carb boot o-rings by spraying them with starter fluid as it runs. Also are you running a factory airbox an oem type paper filter?
              Does it hesitate to rev up past any certain rpm?

Does the battery provide 12+ volts under load?
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                id say carb issues still and or vacuum leak. You could be loading up a cyl or 2 which is why it progressively dies out. Id start by checking carb boot o-rings by spraying them with starter fluid as it runs. Also are you running a factory airbox an oem type paper filter?
                Does it hesitate to rev up past any certain rpm?

Does the battery provide 12+ volts under load?

It has a K&N filter in what I believe is the stock airbox.

The battery tested good.

When it was running it did seem to die out around 8k rpms

Comment

Dump the K&N piece of crap and install OEM type filter. your carbs don't like them much.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    Dump the K&N piece of crap and install OEM type filter. your carbs don't like them much.
                    +1

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

This can't be for real....... no fuckin' way.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Wanna bet?....
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

I sure hope you checked the petcock, vacuum lines and fuel lines before you did all that work.

By the way, my water cooled Z-Rex damn near overheated sitting still in Atlanta traffic for 15 minutes. Never let your bike sit like that. Ever heard of oil coking? Happens in turbo cars and bikes mostly. Believe it or not, the only bike I've owned that didn't overheat from idling for long spells was my 08 Harley FXDB. An air cooled, 1600cc twin torque monster from a company who's engines were supposedly the worst about overheating never got hot with me on it.

Comment

For the record, I do not want to bet.

Comment

Damn...
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X