X

What gas do you run in your kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gas do you run in your kat?

Is it okay to run regular gas in pre kat 600. I use premium but i always wondered if it made a difference. I do get 45-50mpg don't know if octane makes a difference. I was told the higher the octane the less ethanol mix. Well all pumps just say may include up to 10% so i dont know how true that is. What gas do you run in your kat?

I just use the cheap regular stuff. Occasionally I'll fill her up with BP or Shell premium stuff - but that's mostly just pointless It does stink less than the cheaper stuff though.

Comment

Pretty sure the manual says to run regular.
      First motorcycle - new project
      1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Kats run fine on regular ogtane fuel. They are not set up to run on higher octane so you are pretty much waisting $.
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Meh I was advised to run 89 when I put the ignition advancer in. It isn't exactly a lot more than 87.. Also I try to buy non-ethanol whenever possible.

Comment

I have a post and I run 87. I have been running Sta-Bil in my tank on every fill up the past few months and I swear it runs phenomenally better with the Sta-Bil.
            Extra life.

Comment

I have an advancer and I run 93. I tried 87 and heard it rattle TWICE at low rpm pulling away from a light. I should add that I live in Florida and it was 90 plus in slow traffic both times. This makes a HUGE difference because as you know the Kat is oil cooled with NO fan.
              Last edited by Mopar-Man; 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mopar-Man View Post
                I have an advancer and I run 93. I tried 87 and heard it rattle TWICE at low rpm pulling away from a light.
                Try 89... I don't have a problem with it.

Comment

if you advance you timing you need higher octane, but the kat was tuned for 89 octane i believe, no higher octane will give you more hp, the only advantage is reducing knock, by allowing a more controlled burn preventing pre-detonation, which is the rattle you heard
                  never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                  Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                  confused katana build

Comment

Regular 87

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                      if you advance you timing you need higher octane...

Higher Octane retards the explosion.

Ignition advancer moves the explosion timing forward.

Doing both pretty much defeats the purpose of the other.

Jus sayn.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Jus sayn.

Krey

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Jus sayn.

Krey
                          Ya... Not really.

What the increased octane does is increase the activation energy required to ignite. Sparks (which is how gasoline engines work) far exceeds the activation energy of almost any octane gasoline. But temp ignition is only 1 way gasoline can ignite. The other is pressure (compression). What higher octane does is increase the required pressure for ignition. Most standard gasoline engines don't have compression anywhere near the ignition threshold (also known as autoignition), but higher performance (and motorcycle) engines do.

All the ignition advancer does is change what state the piston is in when the gasoline is ignited.

This is why diesel engines do not have spark plugs (or anything really). They are such a low octane that they rely on autoignition.

Edit: To clarify the statements. Pressure does have a temperature component (compression increases both). Just stated pressure to emphasize the difference between spark and auto ignition.
                          Last edited by numus; 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                            Ya... Not really.

What the increased octane does is increase the activation energy required to ignite.
                            It also slows down the burn when activated at relative compression.

Meaning... if compression = same, then the burn from ignition to complete consumption = slower for higher octane fuels. That's the point of increasing the compression when building an engine. More compression with more fuel = bigger bang when it's needed.

You can get overly detailed to explain and pick a single aspect to say your right, but it it's really very easy to prove... higher than 87 octane in a Kat engine will = less performance when measured on a dyno.

The same applies across the board for any similar engine setup. This is only going to change when you have a EFI with a modern much higher tech electronic ignition system that can auto adjust for the change in fuel.

Anything more than 87 is a waste, and the only reasons it would give false improvements is when your bike is improperly tuned. The most common reason for that is over lean due to the way the carbs work. Dirty carbs and air leaks = lean mix that a higher octane would then "hide" by preventing the "ping" or pre-detonation that occurs because of that. This still leaves you with less fuel than the engine could be using and burning and = less power.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Any benefits from running advanced timing and higher octane fuel are reduced or even negated as you approach the redline - hence a poor result on a dyno if all you are measuring is max HP. The benefits are most noticeable in the lower half of the RPM range (touring rather than sports) when the timing advance will have a greater influence on the whole fuel ignition process, as will a higher octane fuel's role in slowing the explosive effect of combustion and preventing pre-detonation ... which you tend to get at low speed and under load. (The standard Kat 5* advancer is a huge advance in an otherwise non-modified engine.) Ambient temperature, altitude, humidity ... also play a role.

If your style is to bounce the needle off the redline, you will probably see little benefit from an advancer or premium fuel (unless premium = no ethanol). If you tend to spend most time in the low-mid range in 100*F temps, you may very well see benefits.

Comment

Working...
                              X