X

Weight Reduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Reduction

Is there any other way to take some of the weight off 98+ kat. I have CF exhaust, got rid of the center stand.. Other t han rims what else can you do?

Is all the weight in the frame or what?

Have you tried slim fast?

all the "weight" is in the motorcycle..
    Steel frame. Steel swingarm.
    Chain, engine, oil gasoline..
    It all adds up..

Comment

Skip breakfast a few times, run the gas tank only 1/4 full, and fill up frequently. Also wouldn't hurt to hit the gym once in a while

As Black peter said, all the weight IS the bike. There are some things here and there, but all in all, I don't think the effort would be worth it

Comment

I only weigh 140 pounds so I dont think that really is the problem

Thats what I assumed, oh well. Wait till I can afford another bike and drive em both.

Comment

don't feel bad i wanted to know the same thing when i first got my katana. Short of removing everything and getting someone to fabricate you a frame out of aluminum which I really have thought about. The Katana is just a heavy bike. I love my Katana and when I first got it I thought it was going to be lighter and faster until I rode my buddies ZX6R, then I realized how slow and heavy it was. But I will tell you this go on a 400 mile a day ride with your buddies on there GSXR's and R6's and ZX6's and see who is still moving at the end of the day. *raises his hand* I am because mine is twice as comfortable as their's and will handle just as well. Later ~Heath

Comment

I see how old this thread is, but I'm fixing up a 2000 750 and will be doing some basic weight removal.

Center stand and fairings are already off (and I guess for sale if anyone wants them). The big debate now is whether I cut/grind off the body mount tabs.
            -Chris
            **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

So, by taking the fairings off you saved what 25 lbs give or take? On a 500+ lbs bike I'd rather not have it uglier than sin and keep the 25 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                So, by taking the fairings off you saved what 25 lbs give or take? On a 500+ lbs bike I'd rather not have it uglier than sin and keep the 25 lbs.
                Me too but different folks different strokes I guess.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I fully understand some people actually like the whole naked look. Correction, I honestly think there isn't anyone the "likes" the naked look. I do believe there are people cheap enough to convince themselves they like it. Anyway, if you're trying to justify the decision by saying you're doing it to "save weight", seriously?

Comment

By removing the fairing you save less than 20 pounds. You lose the aerodynamics, though. The 600 especially doesn't have much power and Suzuki figured they needed to do what they could to make up for that. They put a lot of effort into getting everything they could out of that fairing (as I understand it, it was the first to be designed from the beginning using a windtunnel) and the benefits from smoothing the airflow outweigh (pun intended) the extra weight. If you're removing the fairing to improve performance, you're cutting your own throat.

As for the centerstand, the utility of having it more than makes up for the tiny benefit from losing that weight. Even when you're not doing maintenance, Having the bike more stable means you don't have to worry nearly so much about someone knocking the bike over. As a dad, that's actually a big concern for me!
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've seen that alot around these forums. "I want to reduce the weight of my bike so I'll take the center stand off". But then you take the center stand off and realize it doesnt even weigh 10 lbs. Then you need swap out your rear tire, and your like Sh**, I shoulda never took that dang thing off cuz now how am I gunna get the tires off the ground? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pay a shop to do it for me. BAM! Cost yourself extra hard earned $$$ for less than 10 lbs on a heavy STEEL bike.

Im no professional but I like to consider myself more mechanically inclined than the next guy. Having said that, most of my friend's bikes end up in my garage when they need maintenance. I cant specify enough how much of a pain in the butt it is to work on a bike on the kickstand. If you dont have some kind of lift, your gunna kill yourself trying to get the tires off. Case in point, I had a buddy try to change his back tire by lifting his bike with a bottle jack. lets just say, thats not exactly the smartest way to get a 500 lb machine off the ground.
                      Last edited by maniac1886; 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM.
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

The center stand has been spared for now, but I'll still probably remove it. I have rear-stands that are safer and easier to use.

As for the 18+ lbs of fairings and 10+ lbs or gauges and lights that I took off, I don't think 30 lbs is insignificant. it's the difference between a full tank and an empty tank of fuel.

I think I can get to a 15% weight reduction, and under 500 lbs. wet when all is said and done. And that's without going nuts and cutting the sub-frame or anything.
                        -Chris
                        **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Why, why, WHY does someone always want to reduce weight?

Don't do anything drastic, and for godsakes keep your 'Weight reducers' DURR because maybe the next owner will want them.

You bought a Sport Tourer, and possibly one of the heaviest sub-1000cc 'Sport Bikes'.

Go get a CBR or something.
                            - Purplehaze
                            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I bought the Kat because it was $500, not because it's the perfect bike.

I had a CBR. Two actually. I don't expect the katana to be that.
                              -Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X