Why can't people clean carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't people clean carbs?

Serious question!

See it all the time in the forum, bike not running - and all the evidence points toward bad or dirty carbs.

I am no expert on the subject, there are heaps of people much more knowledgable on carbs than me - but it seems I'm spending more and more time repeating myself - and I'm a newbie here, and I never have problems with carbs because I clean them!

Please peeps - have a look at the forum, there's great big stickies about carbs and how to clean them for your particular model.

Mods - I would suggest making a sticky link for Carb Cleaning 97- (101) and one for Carb Cleaning 98+ (102), plus whatever particulars exist for the larger engined or single year bikes MORE visible.

Rant over everyone, but really - I needed to say that!

Most are new to bikes and the thought of tearing them apart and getting them back together correctly make them apprehensive to do it. When they do they usually don't take their time and make absolutely sure they are clean, so when they fail they don't want to go through the task all over again. My rule when cleaning carbs is to do it twice before assembly. 1 time to work gunk loose, the second time gets them clean.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

there already is a sticky duder.

Comment

Yeah I know there's a sticky - but I think it should be a bit more visible as peeps don't seem to be able to find it

Comment

It's not going to help any. You'll still see the same questions repeated over and over again.

Comment

its not that they don't see it, they just blatantly ignore it, or are to lazy to search.
            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
            confused katana build

Comment

does sea foam work?
              99 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by JSMencer View Post
                does sea foam work?
                No. It's a preventative measure. Will help keep you from having to clean them sooner. It helps get rid of built up varnish.

I spent nearly a week making sure mine were clean. Would clean them. Let them sit and then cleaned them again. I was also waiting on parts.
                First motorcycle - new project
                1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by JSMencer View Post
                  does sea foam work?
                  Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                  ... or are to lazy to search.
                  a perfect example

Last edited by blitz2190; 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM.
                  never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

just wondering
                    99 Katana 600

Comment

I have it on good authority (I just made it up) that at least one motorcyclist out there can't clean their carbs because they have fuel injection.

Comment

aren't these the jets

confused katana build

Comment

My observations...

People don't understand how they work (carbs) so, they conjure up all kinds of erroneous concepts of what "clean" is...

"I removed the jets and let them soak in pine sol, why won't my carbs work?".... Is just one example.

So they have faulty concepts to start with... then some guy (or girl) they don't know on some website out there wants to tell them they are wrong and that they have to do more work. Add to that additional faulty information out there as there are those who will argue against it in the very threads many of us would point to and say "search" about...

Well, it's not hard to see why some people won't just take our word for it, and will want to try many other things.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm nervous to do it my self, even after reading carb 101 and watching the carb 102 videos. My bike runs fine, so I'm afraid if I mess with it that I will mess something up and than my bike WON'T run. I've just heard that if you don't do it just right that you can mess it up worse.

I plan on doing it once the riding season is over, that way if I have to re-do it 2-3 times to get it right... I won't be getting stressed out over not being able to ride.

Just my .02 cents!
                            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              My observations...

People don't understand how they work (carbs) so, they conjure up all kinds of erroneous concepts of what "clean" is...

"I removed the jets and let them soak in pine sol, why won't my carbs work?".... Is just one example.

So they have faulty concepts to start with... then some guy (or girl) they don't know on some website out there wants to tell them they are wrong and that they have to do more work. Add to that additional faulty information out there as there are those who will argue against it in the very threads many of us would point to and say "search" about...

Well, it's not hard to see why some people won't just take our word for it, and will want to try many other things.

Krey
                              Pinesol worked well for me I didn't soak the jets in them. For that I used a serious degreaser. I watched the gunk dissolve off when I dropped them in. I used the Pinesol for the empty carb bodies, and they sat for at least 72 hours in there. Then I followed up spraying everything out with carb cleaner. So it can't be said that it won't work, but other things need also be done.
                              First motorcycle - new project
                              1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X