Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Weirdest problem my mechanic can't figure out.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirdest problem my mechanic can't figure out.

My first newbie post so take it easy on me. This post is about a 1989 gsx600.

So today I brought my bike to my mechanic for an issue with the bike starting and cutting off. Turns out to be the idle ing screw. But here's the problem. It worked well on the ride home, shut it off for a few hours, And it wouldn't start again. Finally got it on but would only stay on at half choke. Tried getting it to his house on half choke and would stall out at every light or stop sign. I know its bad to ride with the choke on but I had to get it there. Plugs are a little foul. Tank has clean gas.

Any advice would help. I love you guys.

Sounds like you're running way lean. How about a bit more background info on the bike? Did you just get it? Has the bike been sitting for a while? Is it stock with all the parts?

Can't help without more info.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I got the bike about a week ago. It was sitting for a month or two before I got it. As far as I know everything is stock. Finally got it out on its first ride with me today and it ran fine until I turned it off and the same problem started again.

Comment

a) Carbs
        b) Vac leak
        c) Carbs
        d) Vac leak
        e) All of the above
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

What do you suggest? Clean the carbs first and see if it works?

Comment

You can have the cleanest carbs in the world, and it will still run like crap if you have vacuum leakage. If you got it to run, and it stopped, and now it won't run - in all probability something came loose or broke on that run.

Take tank off, check all hoses. Check the carb lines, choke slider, boots, spark plug wires etc.

Comment

Yes
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It is always a good idea to get the battery checked... Can cause all kinds of fun issues when idling.

Comment

I'd check fuel flow into the carbs first...

Choke uses fuel from the bottom of the bowl. If you have limited flow from a kinked fuel line for example, the bike would not run well because it's not getting enough fuel, but the choke would add more fuel from the bottom of the bowl.

This would explain a more sudden situation where it ran fine for a while then suddenly had an issue.

If that's not it... yes, clean the carbs.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

New needle and seat?

I have a bike that the PO had messed up nearly every system on the bike from brakes to carbs. My best guess is that your problem is with your needle and seat. They may be letting fuel by when sitting and causing you lots of grief. I just replaced mine and even though there was very little wear on the needle it was causing problems with filling the cylinders with fuel. They may need replacing as well as ensuring that the float height is set to the correct levels. If there is any type of visual wear marks on the needle it's probably time for a new set.

Comment

also to further krey's suggestion, is there a fuel filter on the bike, if so ditch it or if you want and can get the right one a high flow over sized one seems to work well
                      never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                      Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                      confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                      X