X

Individual air filters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual air filters

Howdy all, making a few mods to my 98 600. Just got the bike a few weeks ago, PO had let her sit for two years. Needle jets had stuck open on two carbs at some point allowing the tank to drain into the airbox and crankcase. Got about 2 1/2 gallons of fuel/oil mix out of crankcase. Ran el cheapo rotella just until case felt warm to the touch, drained it, and repeated the process then changed filter and filled up with some good oil. Since the airbox was full of fuel and the filter soaked, decided to go with the 3" individual cone filters on each carb. Bike was running fine with the stock airbox and filter. Now, with the individual, can't get her started. Does the Kat need the "back pressure" (for lack of a better term) of the restrictive airbox? Am I looking at a jetting change to use the individual filters? Thanks for any help

Put the stock airbox and stock filter back in... Kat CV carbs don't like pod filters.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Thats what i was thinking, put the airbox back in and she fired right up. thanks

Comment

For the future, individual filters are referred to as pods. Its a very worthwhile mod if you know how to jet and tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
          For the future, individual filters are referred to as pods. Its a very worthwhile mod if you know how to jet and tune.
          I'd have to say, it's not very worthwhile on the Kat without other engine/exhaust mods, even if you know how to tune. Even with those other mods, pod filters won't add anything you can't get while using the airbox. Also, in using the pod filters, saying "jet and tune" is kind of misleading. It's a LOT more to do with "tuning" in ways you won't read much at all about, and less about jets.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
            I'd have to say, it's not very worthwhile on the Kat without other engine/exhaust mods, even if you know how to tune. Even with those other mods, pod filters won't add anything you can't get while using the airbox. Also, in using the pod filters, saying "jet and tune" is kind of misleading. It's a LOT more to do with "tuning" in ways you won't read much at all about, and less about jets.
            +1

but to clarify... you will NEVER get pods to work on Katana CV carbs better than using the stock air box will give you.

You will spend an insane amount of time getting them close... as the best that can happen is that it's close. This isn't a matter of "tuning"... it's how CV carbs work.

If you gotta have pods, switch to slide operated carbs.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Using them on my big bikes has always improved performance. OP I might be interested in buying yours if they are the right diameter for my 1200.

Comment

fail

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  fail
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Tried pods on my 98 750 and the trouble I had was venting egr/fuel that originally went through the air box. Had just rejetted and tuned to account for pods and finally put the airbox back on . Did notice a slight decrease with oem back in place

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                      Put the stock airbox and stock filter back in... Kat CV carbs don't like pod filters.
                      Fixed that for ya...

CV (Constant Velocity) carbs don't work well with pods. It's not unique to Kats at all.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

pods on the kat create to much turbulence for the CV carbs, you could get them to work but it would take some really good math to get the flow right and create the correct vacuum, all in all not even close to worth it
                        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                        confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                        X